PDA

View Full Version : just like home. . . kinda

xionja
2004-07-12, 20:07
Whats up with the new forums. . . ? its like AI, but not. Its the same people, mostly?

Are people leaving AI? because it sucks.

I'm a bit confused . . . did someone from AI start AN, and tell everyone, or did everyone just find it?

What happened, what did it start. . . people 'boycotting' the old forums. . .dare i say their name?

pretty cool, its just like home, and more interesting to. Congradulations to whoever started it :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-12, 20:16
Check this out (http://forums.applenova.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)

That's the full history, explanation, sickness, and cure for everything that happened here. :cool:

thegelding
2004-07-12, 20:19
great to see you found the site young lady...now go clean the horse stalls ;)

g

2004-07-12, 20:25
Hey! Welcome xionja!!! Good to see you. :)

Did you really just find out about AN? I'd hate to think that.

That was my biggest concern about the Schizm™, that some of the regulars wouldn't know (and couldn't ask, for that matter :mad: ) what happened.

DMBand0026
2004-07-12, 20:26
It's cause everyone at .com was (and still is) censor happy. No one knows, cause if anyone tells them, they get friggin deleted from .com.

Morons :no:

Good to see another familiar face though :)

psmith2.0
2004-07-12, 20:33
Hi, x. A lot of people have been here for over a month now. I love it here. It's tighter, smaller with a better look and, IMO, some of the best parts of AI migrated over.

This place is MUCH friendlier and less meanspirited (unless I'm talking about cocaine usage ;) ) than the other place. The noted bombthrowers and shit-stirrers are absent, so it's no accident this is a groovier place.

Pull up a chair...you'll probably like it really well. Most seem to.

No talking banner ads, no nasty bait threads, etc. No over-moderation or censoring, either. But what's really cool? No one's had to tell anyone here how to be, which says a lot, frankly. No permanent "how to not post like a dickhead" stickies, stating the obvious (and still getting ignored) to contend with. People here simply seem to get it.

:)

xionja
2004-07-12, 20:55
its like one big group hug. everything good about AI concentrated into something smaller and better.

i found out when i googled my screen name to see if my webpage came up. . .

why did people leave. . . i'm still confused.

but exited to have a more worthwhile forum. :)

HOM
2004-07-12, 21:16
Super quick recap.

Kasper, Brad, and LoCash didn't get along.

Kasper pushed annoying adds down our throats.

Brad and LoCash offered to help because of all the complaints.

Kasper was nowhere to be found.

A thread was created in a slightly hidden forum asking members if they wanted an add-free AI.

Kasper caught wind of it and deleted Brad and LoCash's accounts.

Brad cracked Kasper's account to respond and explain what was gong on.

This site was opened up as appleinsider.org

We all left .com and came over to .org

There was much rejoicing.

.org became AppleNova.

AppleNova became The Official Message Board™ Of Think Secret®.

You found it.

That is quick and dirty summary of what happened. For more details check out the La Revolucion area.

Brad
2004-07-12, 21:20
why did people leave. . . i'm still confused.Join the club. :)

Here's the super-short version "from the horse's mouth".

One day Kasper (a guy way behind-the-scenes at AI.com that practically never showed up on the forums) decided he'd be better off without half of the staff. So, one fateful Saturday morning, without contacting any of us to try to discuss the matter first, he banned and deleted several staff members (myself included) and threw ridiculous accusations at us and started some vicious rumors about me (even sent the cops after me). LoCash started up a temporary forum at AppleInsider.org for the members being kicked out to discuss things. Kasper ended up banning several other members at AI.com and censored or deleted anything that mentioned us; he went so far as to even compromise and disable the private messaging system. Shortly later, we implemented a number of other forums, changed the name to AppleNova, got affiliated with ThinkSecret, and here we are!

In case you've ever wondered why the format of some pages at AI changed and why there have been some missing graphics, it's because when Kasper tried to clamp down and delete everything, he accidentally wiped out all of the forum's graphics. The remaining ones are those that he salvaged from his browser's cache.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see you on our new forum, xionja. :) AppleOutsider here is a very different forum from over at AI.com. We've restructured the forums into what you see at least temporarily until we grow some more.

2004-07-12, 21:20
There was much rejoicing.
Yaayy.

ast3r3x
2004-07-12, 21:28
This place is MUCH friendlier and less meanspirited (unless I'm talking about cocaine usage ;) ) than the other place. The noted bombthrowers and shit-stirrers are absent, so it's no accident this is a groovier place.
:)

It was still an informative and for the most part fight free thread. If that was the worst thread yet, this board is in no trouble ;)

psmith2.0
2004-07-12, 21:30
Sadly, about all I do at AI these days is poke quickly poke into the News, Future Hardware and General Discussion areas for a quick look and maybe a post or two.

Seems like more of a hopping, focused and chirpy vibe here. Questions get answered, opinions get heard, ideas get discussed, etc.

I mean, hell...thegelding is here. What more is there to say?

;)

Basically, the way I see it, pretty much all my favorite people migrated here, so it still feels like home, really. I genuinely do miss Fellowship and amorph and wished that they were around. But other than those two guys, everyone else I really respected or enjoyed talking to at AppleInsider is now at AppleNova.

There is a distinct and undeniable absence of riff-raff and rancor.

:D

LoCash
2004-07-12, 21:53
I always love hearing the positive comments coming from people about the site we've built here. Honestly, since I have apparently been unbanned from .com, whenever I go back there I hardly recognize any of the names posting there. Just about everyone I know actually migrated over here, and that means we're doing something right.

We've cut down on the cocaine usage too. Ever since Brad had his nose surgery we've been tight on cash. I mean, as it would turn out, his school's insurance actually won't cover damage to your nasal passage done by insufflating massive amounts of that white powder. :lol:

thegelding
2004-07-13, 11:06
I mean, hell...thegelding is here. What more is there to say?

;)

:D

awww, how incredibly sweet...i think

i too rarely go to .com anymore...here be home now

g