PDA

View Full Version : How much is my 12" worth?

torifile
2004-07-13, 14:58
I'm having to use VPC much more frequently than I had previously and I've forgotten how dreadfully slow it can be, so I think with Apple's new iPod + powerbook promotion and a tax free holiday coming up, it would be a good time for me to upgrade (to another 12" or 15" is a burning question for another thread).

I've got a rev. a 12", 40 gig HD, combo drive, 640 megs of ram, AE card and 27 months left on Applecare. How much could I reasonably get for that? I've tried to search ebay's completed auctions, but I can't find where they hide those things... TIA.

murbot
2004-07-13, 15:53
No comment on the pricing yet, but here's the search:

eBay Advanced Search (http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/search_adv.html)

Just select Computers and Networking from the Category drop down menu, and select Completed Items only under Item Type.

Luca
2004-07-13, 15:57
Are you sure this is an issue that can't be fixed by simply getting VPC7 once it comes out? It's supposed to have graphics acceleration, unlike the current version, so it should be much faster. I expect that upgrading from 6 to 7 on your current machine will show more of a speed improvement than upgrading from 867 MHz to 1.33 GHz would if you stay with version 6.

However, I would put the value at around $1000-$1200. It's really hard to say, but since you have all those nice things, it could definitely be worth more than most are selling for.

thegelding
2004-07-13, 16:13
how much is your 12" worth??

is that a loaded question??

i was just asking my wife this same question the other day

g

trailmaster308
2004-07-13, 16:15
Agree with Luca. I have a 12" 1Ghz PB with 768mb of RAM and VPC 6 is not even usable in most cases. I bought it to run some apps @ work but found that I was wasting more time waiting on the stupid thing to do something. I doubt jumping up in proc speed will help much. I'm sure the upgrade to 7 will be a better bet, if not then make the jump. Just my .02.

I'm using it to run XP. Probably a reason is soooo slow.

trailmaster308
2004-07-13, 16:17

g

First "worst joke" on AN? :lol: JK

[old man voice]hey baby, hows my 12'ver[/old man voice]
wife: i haven't seen a 12'ver since our honeymoon!

Ryan
2004-07-13, 17:18
I have the same computer, and it runs fine with VPC5 using Windows 98. I only use it for HTML testing, but it runs at a decent speed.

torifile
2004-07-13, 20:32
If I can get $1100, it'd be totally worth selling anyway because I wouldn't keep the iPod. I figure I could net $150 or so on that and with ed pricing on the new 12", I'm only out about $200 if I up the ram. Decisions, decisions....

I haven't thought about VPC7, but that would be an option only if I know it would help... Also my computer is a little slow with my HUGE pictures from my new camera...

torifile
2004-07-13, 20:33

g

I knew someone would comment on the title of this thread. I shoulda known it would have been you.. :D

naren
2004-07-16, 10:07
I use VPC 6 and XP on a 1.33 12" and it's fine, nothing to wright home about, but functional. As for the sale, I recently sold my rev. a for $1300, but I wouldn't expect that much for a US sale, more like $800 in the US. My experience has been that, because of the VAT, you get a higher price when you open your sale to Europeans. ;)

kretara
2004-07-16, 10:42
My officemate tried running VPC6 wth XP pro and it was just it was just too slow.
He is using VPC6 with 2000 pro and things are faster.

torifile
2004-07-16, 15:09
My officemate tried running VPC6 wth XP pro and it was just it was just too slow.
He is using VPC6 with 2000 pro and things are faster.

I AM using Win 2000. It's just sucks.

BUT I think I've found a solution: Remote Desktop! The computer they gave me has XP pro on it, so I just turned on remote desktop and download RDC from MS and I'm good to go! That's a relief. Now I can continue using my little computer until Tiger comes out.