PDA

View Full Version : psp or ps2

tannenhauser
2005-09-02, 11:30
i want to get either a psp or ps2...
just have a few questions...

is psp worser graphics? are the games same as ps1? or are they ps2 games?

psp seems more convenient but if the games are old and arent as good as ps2 ones what are the benefits of psp other than that its a portable and plays video and goes on the internet (which isnt a biggy cause you have to be in a wifi zone..)

tannenhauser
2005-09-02, 11:50
also, is there a way to hook up the psp to a tv?

Franz Josef
2005-09-02, 11:51
Would have been better to simply add this to the existing psp thread tannenhauser.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=234518#post234518

Luca
2005-09-02, 13:43
Not really... the other one is (rightly) in Third-Party Products, while this one is (also rightly) in Purchasing Advice. Thanks for pointing it out though.

tannenhauser, the PSP is more like the PS2 than the PS1. I think several PS2 games have been ported to the PSP, and that was all part of Sony's plan with it. Unlike its main competitor, the Nintendo DS, the PSP shot for excellent graphics and a higher price instead of previous-generation graphics (the DS is basically a portable N64) with a lower price.

However, I think the PS2 would be a much better choice if the portability and extra features of the PSP aren't that enticing to you. I mean, you didn't seem that enthusiastic about the portability, ability to watch movies, or WiFi, and you even asked about hooking it up to a TV (implying that you'd be using the PSP for all-around gaming). A PS2 might be better for you, with its dual-analog controls, the ability to connect it to a big TV screen, and probably more in-depth games. While the graphics may actually be about the same, the PS2 has the benefit of a much larger screen to work with and more versatile controls.

usurp
2005-09-02, 13:48
i would go for the psp also. ps2 is in its last days while the psp is just launching now..

Koodari
2005-09-03, 09:43
You shouldn't even be asking that question. Handheld and regular console are so different that none of us can know which you really want. If you thought maybe the PSP would be a replacement for PS2 and more, the answer is a simple no.

For regular console, I'd go for PS2. It's not obsolete in any way unless you have a HD set. Best current game selection by far, *the* console for all kinds of arcade games and most rare+interesting games. If anything, you get games cheaper once the PS3 hits next year. You could probably get a package of the unit and accessories used and save in that, too (but figure in you might have to get new pads because they are consumables). If you go that route, try to get the newer, smaller PS2. It's the best-looking console IMO :) I have the older, four times as big version.

Nintendo DS for handheld. I don't see the PSP doing anything interesting save web browsing.. and even then if you put in the new firmware and the browser, there goes your ability to run emulator games and other 3rd party software.

Satchmo
2005-09-03, 11:55
Also depends on your budget. A PS2 system is probably half the cost of a PSP handheld.

usurp
2005-09-04, 01:08
i strongly have to disagree with koodari.
the xbox is a better console then the ps2. with xbox live you never have to play alone anymore plus the ps2's graphic look kinda outdated compared to the xbox. then you can also mod your xbox and run emulators off it like i have ever sega genesis and snes game on my xbox. but then again if you want to buy a console i wouldn't buy neither the ps2 or xbox since i would just wait 2 more months and get the xbox 360 when it comes out, that way atleast you get a next generation console.

DS vs PSP? well I have both and there is no competition really. Only reason I got the DS was for Nintendogs and Castlevania, other then that the PSP destroys the DS in every aspect. Better graphics, better games, better features (web browsing, mp3 player etc..) and better looks. The DS is just plain ugly.

so conclusion: If you want a console just wait till november and get the xbox360.
If you want a handheld then i would recommend the psp.

trevo
2005-09-04, 07:11
Don't forget the price tag (including games) and maybe a new HD tv for your xbox 360. Depending on where you are the Xbox360 doesnt come out for a while. Be interesting what the PS3 delivers, shame about the cell though

PSP, well do you really want to be carrying around $400 AUD in your pocket? It can play dvds, music, web browser, nice GUI, don't forget to buy expensive memory sticks and if you want to watch movies, you'll have have to buy a seperate format that (at the moment) can only be used on the psp. Other than that I have used the psp at an EA Games night and the recent Sony PSP night and it's a great portable console with great backing of big game/movie companies. Like i said the gui is awesome but slightly slow, i found some of the game graphics lacking, although need for speed was nice and the next wave of games are totally in favour! (NBA Street)

HezMah19
2005-09-04, 07:35
I take my PSP everywhere...Its awesome, I use it more than my PS2.

Koodari
2005-09-04, 14:34
i strongly have to disagree with koodari.
the xbox is a better console then the ps2. with xbox live you never have to play alone anymore plus the ps2's graphic look kinda outdated compared to the xbox. then you can also mod your xbox and run emulators off it like i have ever sega genesis and snes game on my xbox. but then again if you want to buy a console i wouldn't buy neither the ps2 or xbox since i would just wait 2 more months and get the xbox 360 when it comes out, that way atleast you get a next generation console.I only gave a personal opinion. How can you disagree with that? :)

It's a good point that XBox has Live (of course, then you'll pay more). And it's a good point XBox has a lot more modding potential (again, you'll pay more, unless modding to run just Linux). Graphics are undoubtedly better on the XBox.

Still, for me, the PS2 wins because it has all the games I want to play. Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Katamari Damacy, Contra, many others that are not on XBox. I'd take Gamecube as a second choice, again for games you don't get otherwise. Friends come over and play - lack of networking doesn't mean you'll play alone.

The titles and genres on XBox, as well as Live, overlap much more with what you can get if you have a gaming capable, networked computer. XBox offers much less for people who have one, IMO.

usurp
2005-09-05, 02:50
lol i thought it was possible to diagree with a personal opinion :)

the gamecube is a sad story, i got it for metroid prime and then i couldnt find any other game worth getting on it. although i dont regret the purchase since metroid prime was worth it.