PDA

View Full Version : 14 Juillet

Powerdoc
2004-07-14, 06:21
Thanks Lo Cash for your story and custom logo of the day. I forgot the detail of the Bastille day : thanks to remind me them.

French revolution started in a blood bath, but created (with the US revolution)many modern idears and concepts.

Escher
2004-07-14, 08:35
Allons enfants de la patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé.... now everyone!

http://pageperso.aol.fr/cartepostalemuse/images/intermar10.jpg

Merci, LoCash! I love the custom logo with the tricolore waving in the background. Still looking for the story. :)

Escher (aka é-chaire)

Chinney
2004-07-14, 11:22
Je suis déçu que vous n’ayez pas choisi une version plus « normale » de cette image - avec les seins bien étalés - plutôt d’une version « John Aschroft ». ;)

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/liberte/liberty.jpg

Vive la France.

Escher
2004-07-14, 11:54
Je suis déçu que vous n’ayez pas choisi une version plus « normale » de cette image - avec les seins bien étalés - plutôt d’une version « John Aschroft ». ;)

I was actually looking for that Eugène Delacroix painting, but was too lazy to go beyond the first best thing I found. :)

Still haven't found LoCash's story that Powerdoc referred to above.

Escher

Chinney
2004-07-14, 12:40
[...]

Still haven't found LoCash's story that Powerdoc referred to above.

Escher

Still haven't seen it myself. Could it be that the 'PowerDoctor' is in on the Mods Forum even here on A.Nova...and that only there the story resides? :p

Powerdoc
2004-07-14, 12:44
No being a mod, In Appleinsider is more than sufficiant for me ...

In the front forum page, you will find the today events. One of this event is 14 juillet. Click on it, and you will have the story :)

curiousuburb
2004-07-14, 13:15
Interesting historical events...
but I'm struggling to see how they're "Technology events" per the calendar heading

Windswept
2004-07-14, 13:51
Since we *are* an international board, I think it's nice of LoCash to include mention of this observance. Extending the hand of friendship and courtesy is surely always a good thing.

Plus, I think LoCash promised to put up the colors today, in a discussion during the 4th of July weekend.

And to our French friends: thank you again for the Statue of Liberty. :) It's one of our greatest treasures, and is SO symbolic of the ideals we hold dear, and of the love we have for our country. Merci beaucoup!

Escher
2004-07-14, 15:24
In the front forum page, you will find the today events. One of this event is 14 juillet. Click on it, and you will have the story :)

Duh. So many new features! Thanks again, Powerdoc.

Plus, I think LoCash promised to put up the colors today, in a discussion during the 4th of July weekend.

That is correct, Carol. The proof is in this 4th of July thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=805). :) It's a shame that both Yanks and Frenchies often forget the common history that ties together old world France and new world USA.

And to our French friends: thank you again for the Statue of Liberty.

I'll also add my thanks for Freedom Fries. :D

Note: I am French, and kidding, for those who haven't figured that out yet! :)

Escher

Windswept
2004-07-14, 16:07
That is correct, Carol. The proof is in this 4th of July thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=805). :) It's a shame that both Yanks and Frenchies often forget the common history that ties together old world France and new world USA. *I* never forget, Escher. And I just finished watching my DVD of A Year in Provence last night, which is filled with French/Anglo friendship and understanding at the end. I loved that book. Have you read it, by any chance? Since it's from a British point-of-view, maybe it isn't as enjoyable to a French person. I'm just wondering.

I'll also add my thanks for Freedom Fries. :D
Hey now! :p :p :p ;)

johnq
2004-07-14, 17:05
No being a mod, In Appleinsider is more than sufficiant for me ...

I concur.

LoCash
2004-07-14, 17:21
Yeah, the calendar headings are all messed up. :p

Paul
2004-07-14, 23:31
link (http://forums.applenova.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=4&day=2004-7-14&c=1) (for the lazy and/or incompetent...)

thegelding
2004-07-15, 07:42
knowing locash and how he shaves his legs for biking, i thought the french flag and colors where in honor of the tour de france...

plus i just like having a little color (or colour) on the page

g

Escher
2004-07-15, 10:35
knowing locash and how he shaves his legs for biking, i thought the french flag and colors where in honor of the tour de france...

:lol: I also like the tiny bit of color, occasionally.

*I* never forget, Escher. * * * Have you read [A Year in Provence], by any chance?

Thank goodness for the exceptions that prove the general rule. :D I have never read A Year in Provence. (I'm terribly un-well read.) But I've spent many many summers in Provence, which add up to well over a year. :) Unfortunately, the weak Dollar has crimped the style of my Euro vacations somewhat. 2004 will be the first year of my life I neither swim on the Côte d'Azur nor ski in the Swiss alps. :(

Bou-hou-hou. Shut up, Escher! Stop whining, and read a book instead! ;)

God, I love using smilies now that PithHelmet stops the animations.

Escher

Windswept
2004-07-15, 13:26
Thank goodness for the exceptions that prove the general rule. :D I have never read A Year in Provence. (I'm terribly un-well read.) But I've spent many many summers in Provence, which add up to well over a year. :)
You lucky dog. It sounds idyllic. Peter Mayle has a very wry sense of humor; and even though I've read the first two Provence books three times each, I still laugh out loud at some parts. His story is delightful (from a British perspective ;) ).

Escher
2004-07-15, 18:13
Peter Mayle has a very wry sense of humor; and even though I've read the first two Provence books three times each, I still laugh out loud at some parts.

I don't mind British "humour" one bit and have added the book to my reading list. Of course, I haven't read one book that I actually wanted to reading during the last four years while I was in law school. So you can imagine there is quite a backlog of "books to read." Less than two weeks until a normal life... ;)

Escher

Windswept
2004-07-16, 05:51
I don't mind British "humour" one bit and have added the book to my reading list. Of course, I haven't read one book that I actually wanted to reading during the last four years while I was in law school. So you can imagine there is quite a backlog of "books to read." Less than two weeks until a normal life... ;)

Escher
I wish you the very best on your exams. I predict that you will pass with flying colors. :)

ZO
2004-07-16, 08:09
If anyone wants a nice new desktop, I took this picture the other day while watching the fireworks under the Tour Eiffel...

http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/.Pictures/paris2004.jpg

Following is the link to the 1280x960 version. If you want the full 5.1mp version, lemme know. http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/.Pictures/14-July-1280.jpg

ZO

Chinney
2004-07-16, 08:24
If anyone wants a nice new desktop, I took this picture the other day while watching the fireworks under the Tour Eiffel...

[...]

Nice Zo. I especially like the orange hue just to the right of the Tour, as the glow from the fireworks melds with the smoke and cloud.