15" G4 PB 1.67GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 100GB HDD 128 vRAM SD APP -> $2.653

now I'm considering this:

17" iMac G5 2GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 160 GB HDD 128 MB vRAM SD APP -> $1.630
+
12" G4 iBook 1.33GHz 512MB RAM 40GB HDD 32MB vRAM Combo APP -> $1.132
_________
$2.762
Price difference: $109

all right... I don't need to be mobile all the time, i.e., I don't need to drag my LT to campus every day, just every so often. Hence, I'd use the PB as a desktop replacement rather than as a laptop. however, every so often I need to use a LT on campus and for travel.

I've been a winblows user for 13 years, I have zero practical experience w/ macs (except for messin with them @ the apple store or compusa.

putting the $100 price difference aside (I can make up for that w/ selling the 2nd iPod), which one(s) would u go for?

any input/help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Brad
2005-09-07, 07:24
I'd jump all over the second option (iMac + iBook). :)

The big PowerBook isn't really a lot more powerful than the little iBook. The only reason for investing a huge chunk of cash in a PowerBook is if you plan to do all your work on-the-go and moving about. Since you're not, I really don't think it's worth it for you.

Having an iMac on the desk is much more powerful (and ergonomic) than having a PowerBook on the desk. Since you plan to do the majority of your work in one place, having your primary computer anchored to a desk isn't so bad.

The iBook will more more than sufficient for going about campus and traveling. In fact, most people I know prefer the smaller 12" screen (be it iBook or PowerBook) for working on campus because it will actually fit in a normal backpack and won't require you to lug around a special carrying case. The 12" is also perfect for fitting on little desks or in your lap.

Dave_D
2005-09-07, 08:59
Dude, you're one smart shopper!

I think you can even do better with your budget. You can opt for a refurb iMac G5 1.8Ghz 20" since Apple has extended it's warranty to 2 years. You just might be able to swing getting a PB 12" if you look hard enough.

I too own a iMac + PB. It's a great all around for both work AND play.

Boomerangmacuser
2005-09-07, 09:03
Now that's what I call creative accounting!

I agree with Brad. The versatility you'd get with having two machines faaaar outweighs the extra computing power you'd get from having a PB on the road. Think about what kind of work you'd be doing while you're out and about. Will you really be ripping DVD's between classes? I would guess not. You'll likely be using the LT for taking notes, email, chatting, researching online etc. None of these require all that much computing power. You'll have a compact, lightweight LT with excellent battery life that you'll find yourself taking to school more often than you think, AND a powerful machine at home. For a hundred bucks, it's a no-brainer.

Oh yeah, critical files can also be saved to both machines for redundancy. How's that for justification.

ghettochild
2005-09-08, 02:39
thanks ya'll for the replies. I guess I'll go w/ the iMac/iBook combo. I'll let ya'll know (if anybody cares..lol).

thanks again! :)

pdkline
2005-09-08, 06:48
I been tossing the same diliema too. The main issue I do need great perforamce, and paying $3000 for a PB... its not even faster than my mac g5.

I am running out of monitors and iMac 20" is looking very cool like :D I am thinking about selling my tin can (G5 1.6) and getting one.. but im so confused...I like to get something less bulkier than a powermac and same speed. this is why I was thinking of a PB. however PB looks like a performance downgrade.

Paul