PDA

View Full Version : programming forum?

2004-05-16, 23:58
Are there any programmers here at all? I just happen to be more interested in this sort of discussion than why printer X23 doesn't work with Airport V16. IMO, having a forum for all sorts of mac programming questions would be great... if the number of interested and knowledgeable members is big enough.

What do you think?

DMBand0026
2004-05-17, 00:21
I think the keyword there is "if". Forums are created when there is a big clamoring for them, not one or two members.

thuh Freak
2004-05-17, 00:34
yes, there are some programmers here, self included. but the rool at the old ai, and it was reasonable, was only make a new forum when demand required it. so your options are:
1. sit on it. --probably not very satisfying
2. spam various forums with programming questions, made up and genuine. --time consuming
3. encourage other hackers, who aren't totally self-sufficient, to join ai and to question the membership on technical issues. --perhaps not worth the effort

SilentEchoes
2004-05-17, 01:58
I know there is several members who would like that. I just don't want to see too many forums get created IE MacNN. I like AI having a small number of forums.

Even though I myself would be interested in a programming forum. I love helping out with web programming stuff, or getting help with Cocoa ;)

2004-05-17, 09:25
I think the keyword there is "if". Forums are created when there is a big clamoring for them, not one or two members.

Fair enough. However, how many people had clamored for an expensive Apple branded mp3 player? I'm not saying that a programming forum is necessarily a good idea, I'm just saying that all options should be considered in order to make this place successful.

Which brings us to the fundamental question here. What's the (marketing) strategy? I think that the founders haven't spent enough time on this. The old AI isn't going away and many members will read both boards for a couple of weeks. But will they really switch? Yes, AI.org is ad free. Yes, it's faster. Yes, Brad and others are here. Yes, some think Kasper is evil. But is this really enough? Chances are that most .org members continue to post on AI.com, however, many .com members are not going to post here. Because they either don't know the site or because they think that the situation has been dealt with all wrong. Because they don't care about ads too much or because they think this "revolution" is childish. Because there's much more going on on the .com boards or because they never really cared too much for Brad anyway. Because it's simply too much of a hassle.

Then there's the problem that AI.org doesn't (((yet))) have a main page, how are new members attracted? Mouth-to-mouth advertising won't be all that successful if AI.org is just a small AI.com. Differentiation is the keyword. If AI.org doesn't offer added value it doesn't really have a chance IMO.

Now, of course there are several ways to accomplish this. Making the board more attractive for people who are into programming is just one of them. Also, this particular suggestion is obviously completely selfish. But I really think that content is at least just as important as the site's look&feel.

(about me: frequent AO reader, frequent Ars poster)

AirSluf
2004-05-17, 12:22
XXXXX

SilentEchoes
2004-05-18, 05:04
maybe starting dev/programming threads with DEV:

Thats actually a really good idea. If you can get other programmers to start posting their threads in the software forum with DEV: then the admins/mods will be able to visualize the demand more. As it is right now most programming questions just get shuffled under genius bar.

I would hate to see AI turn into MacNN with billions of forums over there. BUT I still support the programming forum as I am a programmer ;)

Besides it will spawn more discussions about the latest and greatest in each language instead of just questions about how do I get my array to do this or what ever.

Well you get it.

Paul
2004-05-18, 13:18
the OS X forum would be a better place for "dev" type questions... the GB should be a place for troubleshooting... not really discussion...

infact, most developer type threads get moved to X anyway... a good example is Kickaha's thread on .com about "UI fun"...

if you want to get more detailed... do so...

SilentEchoes
2004-05-18, 14:59
the OS X forum would be a better place for "dev" type questions... the GB should be a place for troubleshooting... not really discussion...

infact, most developer type threads get moved to X anyway... a good example is Kickaha's thread on .com about "UI fun"...

if you want to get more detailed... do so...

Not really, Programming is more about "software" Not all programming is OS X related. Web programming is platform independent and its a pretty big thing.

I was referring to Ast3r3xs daily PHP question in genius bar because it is, after all, a question.

With out a programming forum it does get pretty complicated on which forum is the correct forum for programming related topics.

kretara
2004-05-18, 15:34
I also believe that a "Programming" forum would be helpful to our community in general and it might help in bringing new "traffic" into our community.

Brad
2004-05-18, 16:17
I also believe that a "Programming" forum would be helpful to our community in general and it might help in bringing new "traffic" into our community.You know... I've actually thought about this myself.

I'm usually a stickler for the old rule that we only create a forum when the demand is present for it. A "gaming" forum has been mentioned and struck down numberous times on this rule as it should be.

Programming, though... hmm. I'll consider it and discuss it with the other head honchos. :)

After all, the set of forums we have now is simply a copycat of what we had over at the dot-com. I could certainly see changing things a little bit, but I do not want to add a lot more -- not so early, at least.

drewprops
2004-05-19, 22:37
Well I don't know how I missed this thread....I started a similar thread and SilentEchoes pointed me here (my bad guys). Anyway, I'm voting "YES" for a programmer/developer forum!

hyperb0le
2004-05-19, 22:53
In theory, a programming forum sounds great. However, I don't think it would be a big draw for new members. There is not much of a point to asking a programming question on a forum when you can post it in the Apple CocoaDev (or the Carbon one, depending on what you are programming) mailing list. However, maybe a "Web Design" forum would be good. Put the focus on PHP, CSS, and XHTML, plus people could get graphic help if they need it.

drewprops
2004-05-20, 00:18
Yes, the Web Design discussion was the point of my similar thread.

ast3r3x
2004-05-20, 05:29
I was referring to ast3r3x's daily PHP question in genius bar because it is, after all, a question.

Just think of all the things that I don't ask on here, that I ask you on IM...or other people I ask!;)

I've moved on to some CSS questions now ;)

_____
|| ||
|\___/|
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
_____|<--->|_____
/ | | \
/ | | | | \
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | |
| | |
| /
| /
\ /
\ /
| |
| |

Just playing man, I thank everyone for their help. AND am getting less dependent on help...takes longer but I can normally find, solve, or fix my problems myself.

thuh Freak
2004-05-20, 12:32
In theory, a programming forum sounds great. However, I don't think it would be a big draw for new members. There is not much of a point to asking a programming question on a forum when you can post it in the Apple CocoaDev (or the Carbon one, depending on what you are programming) mailing list. However, maybe a "Web Design" forum would be good. Put the focus on PHP, CSS, and XHTML, plus people could get graphic help if they need it.
i think a general programming forum is a better idea than a web design specific one. then it could encompass both real programming and the lesser, higher level topics like web design ;). imagine a place where hard hitting asm algorithms are discussed right beside fluffy threads about style sheets; i think it would be a utopia. i'm still not sure that we'd have a lot of traffic though.

SilentEchoes
2004-05-20, 12:40
'm still not sure that we'd have a lot of traffic though.

That all depends on how helpful the forum is. I would donate plenty of help to all PHP/MySQL related questions. I am sure other members would be more helpful with Objective C than I though.

kretara
2004-05-20, 12:57
I can also give some help with basic *nix stuff, perl, php, mysql and html. I also know a bit about web accessability.

thuh Freak
2004-05-20, 13:31
i'm more than willing to help wherever questions cross my knowledge and i don't doubt anyone else, but i think of it kind of like the stock market. the only predictor you have of the future is the past. and, to date, the ai communit[y/ies] hasn't shown enough interest in programming; or we'd already have a programming forum. maybe the forum itself would encourage people to ask more programming questions; i'm actually beginning to be swayed by that idea. i wasn't aware that we had any programmers at ai until i saw this thread (well, i knew there was a few, but i get the feeling there are more than i suspected). whenever i have a prog'g question, i generally look elsewhere suspecting that ai doesn't have the means to help me.

but, ok, now i'm convinced. i'm infavor of a new programming forum. maybe we should make a poll?

edit: i just thought of an idea, to encourage traffic. maybe we could do a little contest. like every day or week or whatever, someone presents some kind of programming problem and the membership has to come up with a program/webpage/wahtever solution. i would look forward to that, methinks.

SilentEchoes
2004-05-20, 15:07
I am up for it. Anything programming related is a good way for me to waste time when I am on my ADD meds.

Mac+
2004-05-21, 02:14
I'm for a programming forum - that would be a good way (as other have said) to hopefully attract some new members and to differentiate this site from the original AI.

drewprops
2005-11-13, 18:19
<coff>
Ooops, pardon me.... seems I coughed up something from last year.... anybody recognize this thread? So whatever happened?

Seriously, I've found (and posted) PHP/CSS/RUBY/PERL/etc threads in the Genius Bar, General Discussion, Third-Party Products and the Steve Jobs Worship forums. Coding questions seem to pop up fairly often and I just think it would be helpful to get a clear message which forum the coding threads should be posted into... and whether we should encourage the use of DEV: in the title (or CSS: or PHP: or ???). This isn't a whinge for a Coding Forum.

Whinge. Wait, I didn't...

MCQ
2005-11-13, 18:59
Maybe it should be a subforum of the Genius Bar? Still doesn't seem like there's enough threads to warrant its own area.

LudwigVan
2005-11-14, 00:15
Or even a sticky, if warranted. "Coding You Can Use."

sunrain
2005-11-14, 00:52
I've had some programming questions before, but taken them elsewhere, so I'd welcome a programmers/developers forum.

AsLan^
2005-11-14, 01:11
The tricky thing is though, are there enough programmers with answers to answer questions ?

And if so, what do they get out of the deal ?

Simple questions with simple answers would best be served by google, and hard questions with hard answers are best answered by people with training and experience.

That being said, I would like a programming forum.

I really appreciated the help I got from members here regarding the interface and usability with my last programming project.

sunrain
2005-11-14, 01:18
And if so, what do they get out of the deal?
Um, they get to benefit from the wealth of knowledge of other members in the forum on other topics. I'm happy to answer a thoughtfully made question in any area that I have knowledge or expertise. That's kinda what forums (at least these) are about, don'tcha think? :\

AsLan^
2005-11-14, 01:47
Um, they get to benefit from the wealth of knowledge of other members in the forum on other topics. I'm happy to answer a thoughtfully made question in any area that I have knowledge or expertise. That's kinda what forums (at least these) are about, don'tcha think? :\

The problem is that hard questions require some kind of work on behalf of the person answering the question. It's not enough for a person just to be knowledgeable about a programming language and/or api a difficult problem would require some debugging. And, like I said before, simple problems are best answered with Google.

The java forums use some kind of payment system called duke dollars, I dont know how well that works for them, but what I usually see is a person posts a question about why their program isnt working and another person posts the code to a similar program they wrote before.

In order to have a worthwhile programming forum there needs to be a mutual exchange of knowledge. That way experienced programmers could get help from each other on difficult problems and possibly help others on the simple stuff.

Eh, I guess my point was... do we have enough experienced programmers around that want to help each other out ? If not, then they might stop visiting those forums if all that awaits is questions that could be answered by google and their own (difficult) questions get pushed to the bottom of the active threads.

EDIT: Please excuse the disjointed nature of this post, I was sort of figuring it out as I went along ;)

Gargoyle
2005-11-14, 04:39
I have been using PHP for 6 years, and I just got "Zend Certified" last week. Whenever I am on IRC, I keep 1 eye on ##php on freenode and am happy to help anyone from a complete beginner to people of the same skill (or better) than myself.

As for your concerns AsLan^, I think with a little moderation the simple questions could be added to a FAQ sticky and keep the more complex questions active.

scratt
2005-11-14, 04:55
Personally I would love a programing forum on Applenova...

I myself am getting back up to speed with the current Apple architecture after a long long sabbatical from programming..

Put it this way.. The last real thing I coded was on a V60 processor if memory serves... What the hell is a 'High Level Language!' What's a compiler! ;)

Right now I am up to speed on C++ and loving doing a non-commercial project for the first time in my life.. No deadlines.. Lot's of Open Source code. Wicked fun.

But there still are a lot of questions about the Unix architechture and the OS X architecture I would like to ask cool people, like thuhfreak for example..

I guess we can do it anywhere, but it might be nice to keep it tidy in one place on Applenova. Eventually we would have quite a nice database of problems and solutions for everyone, as I am sure a lot of issues are universal...

It would also be nice to see what we can produce as a group, us applenova-ites.

So count my vote as a Yes, for what it's worth... :)

AsLan^
2005-11-14, 05:25
It would also be nice to see what we can produce as a group, us applenova-ites.

That sounds pretty good, anybody got any ideas ?

I was thinking about a web based, Front Row style interface.

Just in case Apple never releases Front Row to the masses... we could have our own media center type app (yes, yes, I know about centerstage).

scratt
2005-11-14, 06:40
That sounds pretty good, anybody got any ideas ?

I was thinking about a web based, Front Row style interface.

Just in case Apple never releases Front Row to the masses... we could have our own media center type app (yes, yes, I know about centerstage).

Nice try... Just get us to write your dream app why don't you... :p

Nike have got a job for you as manager in a third world country! ;)

But seriously..

Koodari
2005-11-14, 06:58
AsLan,

- how to fix a bug is just one potential type of question
- it really pays off to be able to read and figure out other peoples' code (or your own that you wrote three years ago) so sometimes the guy who does the debugging and everyone who reads the answer will benefit from this - not just the person whose code is being debugged
- most other types of questions are faster to answer (if you know the answer) and are more valuable for the person asking them than a simple debug question. Some of them googlable, some not. Most design questions do not have easy search engine answers, or need a certain specific keyword to find. In those cases even an one-word answer can help hugely. Here's some that are hard to google. "Is framework Y stable enough to write X on?" "If I want generics ABC, should I use Boost or Library XYZ?" "How can I get these Java classes interact like (blahblah)? I tried brute forcing with switch and it's ugly and too slow to boot."

scratt
2005-11-14, 07:03
- Does anyone know abot a potential issue using OSG plugins from VTerrain when they still work if called from the OSG framework itself, but fail (having found and loaded the plugins in OSG when called from VTerrain) with a 'Not able to find plugin error', just after the 'Found plugin and loading it' message from osg!?!??

There's one for everyone to chew on...

AsLan^
2005-11-14, 09:25
Koodari,

I'm not against a programming forum by any means (in fact I already said I was for a programming forum...), the (imagined?) issues I mentioned were just my contribution to whatever thought process goes into creating the guidelines for such a forum.

Let's see what the powers that be have to say on the matter, they've been a little quiet...

thuh Freak
2005-11-14, 12:44
my spidey sense is tingling...
in so much as i am able (and not too fucked up at the time), i'll help with any general algorithmic or specific coding problems i come across. i enjoy thinking them out and coding just for the hell of it, and only ask for large amounts of cash* in return. if i had the time, i'd reintroduce the weekly coding challenge to boost exposure to the cause; i have some doosies in the back of my head, but i dont think i have the time to take submissions and grading. the line from management has generally been along the lines of: no new forum unless the thread count hits a critical mass.

*as in money, though some ol' Cash records would suffice. iLegal drugs are also accepted.

Windswept
2005-11-14, 14:56
I am up for it. Anything programming related is a good way for me to waste time when I am on my ADD meds.
:lol:

heh.

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-15, 09:56

heh.
Yeah, I think I'd be up fo---LETS RIDE BIKES!!! :lol: :p

Erm, I'd definitely go for a programming forum, if we're still on the subject. I've done a little of everything and am currently investigating various technologies to try my hand at a custom portal, and I'm sorta sitting on the fence between Python and Ruby. I don't like Java for some reason, it feels like a heaping mess every time I look at it...

Anyway, I think there are probably enough programmers around to offer help, as well asenough people interested in learning how to program. I suspect such a forum would do well here, and perhaps grow a larger programming community on AN. Just my two cents. Maybe we'd even get an open source something going on... that'd be interesting, eh? ;)

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-11-15, 11:57
Most of my coding experience is in Java, C or Objective-C so I'd be willing to take stabs at answering those types of questions. I also have solid database skills so I can help with SQL questions and db design but I wouldn't be good on db specific questions like 'how do I do X in my SQL?' though.

I need to learn more basic web stuff like integrating CSS into HTML so I wouldn't mind someone pointing out some good links/tutorials to this. There's obviously some web design smart people here.

I'd also be into coding challenges as well. Maybe we could figure out how to get graph traversals to take less than O(M*N) time? :lol:

Majost
2005-11-15, 12:38
I'd be in on the web coding portion of things... and I'm fairly certain there's a very large number of members that develop for the web here, too.

kretara
2005-11-15, 12:46
Yeah, I'm a web developer too. I'm decent at PHP, Perl and mysql.
I would help out whereever I could.

Brad
2005-11-15, 15:11
Well, we've discussed this over at the orbiting HQ and are still a little divided on the issue. Regardless, I'm going to...

http://www.dfmk.hu/trektorbeam/melleklet/trek_humor/makeitso.jpg

oh...wait... CRAP... I meant...

http://www.coffeeshoptimes.com/make9.gif

err...

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/0671520989/C_0671520989.jpg

:p

We'll watch it and if the traffic just isn't there after a few months, we'll take it back down. I'll update the posting guidelines with a concise description shortly.

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-15, 15:30
Well, we've discussed this over at the orbiting HQ and are still a little divided on the issue. Regardless, I'm going to...

err...Yeah, there's a great work-friendly image to stumble across at 3:30 on a Tuesday! :eek: :lol: :p

SledgeHammer
2005-11-15, 16:30
:lol: Those are awesome.

scratt
2005-11-15, 21:18

err...

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/0671520989/C_0671520989.jpg

We'll watch it and if the traffic just isn't there after a few months, we'll take it back down. I'll update the posting guidelines with a concise description shortly.

Kewel! ;)

Wickers
2005-11-15, 21:58
/me likes

:)

DMBand0026
2005-11-15, 22:37
/me likes

Shaaadupa your mouth.

Friggin programers with their "syntax." I was proud of myself because I could understand most of the content here at AN, no there's an entire forum I'm deathly afraid of going in for fear of never coming back.

Seriously though, I'm glad you guys have a home so you can stop cluttering up the regular forums with your crap...I mean programming.

Seriously, glad you guys have a home.

Wickers
2005-11-15, 22:39

Ahh... good old DMB. :)

(ps. :lol: )

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-15, 22:39
Shaaadupa your mouth.

Friggin programers with their "syntax." I was proud of myself because I could understand most of the content here at AN, no there's an entire forum I'm deathly afraid of going in for fear of never coming back.

Seriously though, I'm glad you guys have a home so you can stop cluttering up the regular forums with your crap...I mean programming.

Seriously, glad you guys have a home.Hey, we're people too! Oh, what's that? Newsflash? This just in! Programmers not people! :| :p

Brad
2005-11-15, 22:49
Programmers not people!
Finally someone who Gets It™.

Programmers are "not normal people" in just the same way that Superman, Batman, J'onn J'onzz, and... uh.. Aquaman are "not normal people."

DMBand0026
2005-11-15, 22:51
Finally someone who Gets It™.

Programmers are "not normal people" in just the same way that Superman, Batman, J'onn J'onzz, and... uh.. Aquaman are "not normal people."

Brad, because you just compared yourself to Aquaman, you need to now change your username, not your custom title, but your username to Aquaman so that people will be fully aware of the level of your geekyness. Regardless, I will now refer to you as Aquaman.

Ladies and gentlemen...your fearless leader, Aquaman....

It's painful to type that.

Edit:
[comic book guy]
But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills, you're from two different worlds!

<sees nuke heading his way>

Oh, I have wasted my life

[/comic book guy]

Does the fact that I think that's one of the funniest lines ever from the Simpsons make me as nerdy/geeky as Brad...er...Aquaman? I think not.

Brad
2005-11-15, 22:55
Hey, I'm the Batman in that list. I think scratt's Aquaman. :p

DMBand0026
2005-11-15, 22:56

Oh no...you earned it. Scratt is gonna have to find himself a new comic book hero.

scratt
2005-11-15, 23:00

Oh what! That sucks! I don't even know who Aquaman is!! :lol: Is he cool?

Can't I be "Hong Kong Fuey", or something like that? ;)

http://nottsdarts.co.uk/Local%20Teams_files/image010.jpg

Bryson
2005-11-16, 11:35
Nice new forum....but....any chance of an opt-out for it? I just don't understand a word. Perhaps it could be the "Not Aquaman Modification"?

stonyc
2005-11-16, 12:28
Shouldn't it be "Programmers' Nook"?

SKMDC
2005-11-16, 12:42
Nice new forum....but....any chance of an opt-out for it? I just don't understand a word. Perhaps it could be the "Not Aquaman Modification"?
yes....I think I agree with DMBand0026, this forum scares me, not for the techie lingo, I find that deeply fascinating, it's the nook aspect of it....I'm getting the image of tea-cozies, knitting in rockers and all the programmers dressed like the old Monty Python ladies (the pepperpots) making jokes at our expense. "Cor, he thinks Python is a comedy troupe!"

Are all luca's star trek threads going to go here too?

Brad
2005-11-16, 13:01
Shouldn't it be "Programmers' Nook"?
No, but I expected someone would mention that. ;)

"Programmers Nook" is like "pickle jar" or "veterans association" in that the two words together act as a single object and the first noun behaves like an adjective to describe the second. I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of grouping of words, but the name escapes me.

Look at it this way. It's not a jar that belongs to pickles; it's a jar of pickles. It's not an association that belongs to veterans; it's an association of veterans. Just the same, it's not a nook that belongs to programmers; it's a nook of programmers.

Does that help?

Windswept
2005-11-16, 13:41
No, but I expected someone would mention that. ;)

"Programmers Nook" is like "pickle jar" or "veterans association" in that the two words together act as a single object and the first noun behaves like an adjective to describe the second. I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of grouping of words, but the name escapes me.

Look at it this way. It's not a jar that belongs to pickles; it's a jar of pickles. It's not an association that belongs to veterans; it's an association of veterans. Just the same, it's not a nook that belongs to programmers; it's a nook of programmers.

Does that help?
No.

Brad
2005-11-16, 14:14
Yeah, maybe my explanation sucks, but I've got something on the right track. :p This page I found from a quick Google search makes it a little clearer, I think.
d. Two consecutive nouns

When the possessor and the thing possessed are both concrete objects, possession can often be indicated by placing the noun naming the possessor before the noun naming the thing possessed.

e.g. the car radio
the tree trunk
the kitchen sink
the onion skin

These examples indicate that the radio belongs to the car, the trunk belongs to the tree, the sink belongs to the kitchen, and the skin belongs to the onion.
Although, maybe this is more on target:
vi. Defining adjectives

When a word preceding a noun does not merely describe the object being referred to, but helps to define or identify the type of object meant, the word preceding the noun can be called a defining adjective. The defining adjectives in the following examples are underlined.

e.g. an enjoyable birthday party
a fine young man
the new telephone directory

Defining adjectives are combined with nouns to form fixed expressions, in order to refer to certain types of things. In the above examples, birthday party, young man and telephone directory are fixed expressions which are commonly used to refer to certain types of things.

In many such expressions, the defining adjectives are words which are usually used as nouns. For instance, in the above examples, birthday, and telephone are words which are usually used as nouns. In such cases, the fixed expressions are sometimes thought of as compound nouns.

Maybe it's the plurality of the word Programmers that's throwing it off.
As can be seen in these examples, when a word usually used as a countable noun is used as a defining adjective, it is normally the singular form of the word which is used. Thus, in the preceding examples, the singular forms egg, coat and dish are used.
So, would it be better as Programmer Nook? Nah. The key word in that quote is "normally." ;)

Well, when in doubt, the administrator can bend the rules as he sees fit. :D

2005-11-16, 14:18
Maybe it's the plurality of the word Programmers that's throwing it off.Ah, you beat me to it. ;)

That got me thinking though...what does one call a group of Programmers? A pack? A pod? Surely there's some term out there.

Windswept
2005-11-16, 14:28
Maybe it's the plurality of the word Programmers that's throwing it off.

I think that's it, Brad.

If you use the plural, I really *do* think you need to make it possessive:

"Programmers' Nook"

Also, I guess it's too late to call it "Programmers' Corner"? I agree that 'nook' sounds like a sewing circle - or something. ;)

2005-11-16, 14:31
"Programmers' Pad"

'Cause they're hip and all, don't ya know.

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-16, 14:32
Ah, you beat me to it. ;)

That got me thinking though...what does one call a group of Programmers? A pack? A pod? Surely there's some term out there.A gaggle. :lol:

Majost
2005-11-16, 14:40
...Well, when in doubt, the administrator can bend the rules as he sees fit. :D
Ooooh, I understand now... I see straight through you, Brad AQUAMAN. vBulletin doesn't support quotes and apostrophes in the forum headers, does it? Or you couldn't figure out how many times to escape it, could you? :lol: ;)

Windswept
2005-11-16, 14:47
Oh, wait, wait!

How about "Programmers' Pub"? :D

I think that's a cool name, and imparts to the forum a hint of (much needed :lol: ) joi de vivre and/or je ne sais quoi. :)

Oui? Non? ;)

*jumps up and down*

Oh, yeah! Let's hear it for Programmers' Pub!!! :D

*waves placards*

*has "Programmers' Pub" painted on forehead*

*hires small plane to tow "Programmers' Pub" banner across the skyline*

;)

SKMDC
2005-11-16, 14:49
yes lose the nook for a pub. :)

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-16, 14:57
yes lose the nook for a pub. :)Yeah, a forum chock full of programmers? No nookie. *ducks*

Windswept
2005-11-16, 15:01
yes lose the nook for a pub. :)
Yay!

Okay, that's *two* votes. :D

Hey, that's probably a majority vote, actually.

So... we win? ;)

C'mon, Brad. You know you *love* Programmers' Pub. :)

Foj
2005-11-16, 15:13
C'mon, Brad. You know you *love* Programmers' Pub. :)
with his Aquaman thing going, he might make it Programmers' Aquarium :lol:

Kickaha
2005-11-16, 15:15
Ooooooh, we're all just codin' fishies!

I guess calling someone a bottom-feeder just really doesn't have quite the same sting in such a situation, does it?

SKMDC
2005-11-16, 17:07
Yeah, a forum chock full of programmers? No nookie. *ducks*

do you know how hard it's been to stay away from a nookie joke, especially regarding programmers and the obvious hindrance their profession is to "gettin' some"?

But I take the high road.

now here is where they all chime in to regale us with the tales of the notches on their bedposts.......or not.

Enki
2005-11-16, 17:14
If it's going to get geeky it needs to be

The [foo bar]
For all your {"C", "HTML", "PHP", "Java", ... , (n-1), n} needs.

Brad
2005-11-16, 17:33
The [foo bar]
Very good, but too similar to the Genius Bar name. Further, passersby might read foo as fool, not that I'd argue with them.

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-16, 18:04
do you know how hard it's been to stay away from a nookie joke, especially regarding programmers and the obvious hindrance their profession is to "gettin' some"?

But I take the high road.

now here is where they all chime in to regale us with the tales of the notches on their bedposts.......or not.I work in a software test lab, so yeah... I've been on the raw end of those jokes... from other people in the lab, nonetheless. So I definitely feel your pain, I was just trying to make light of it. ;)

SKMDC
2005-11-16, 18:37
I work in a software test lab, so yeah... I've been on the raw end of those jokes... from other people in the lab, nonetheless. So I definitely feel your pain, I was just trying to make light of it. ;)
my pain? I'm not a bleedin' programmer....I have two MALE children. We wanted a girl so we had to adopt....programmer....ha. :lol:

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-16, 19:13
my pain? I'm not a bleedin' programmer....I have two MALE children. We wanted a girl so we had to adopt....programmer....ha. :lol:'tis what I get for being new here. I just figured from your comment that you were in that sort of boat... oops! :o :lol:

EDIT: OK, I just read your comment wrong. I thought you meant "hard to stay away" like you were tired of being on the receiving end, versus just striving to refrain from making the joke yourself. :p

SledgeHammer
2005-11-16, 22:10
I'm with Carol, on her point of punctuation and on "pub."

Windswept
2005-11-16, 22:18
I'm with Carol, on her point of punctuation and on "pub."
:D

Good.

Kickaha
2005-11-16, 22:36
Sorry C, I like The [Foo Bar] best... obviously, Genius Bar has to be renamed... :)

Windswept
2005-11-16, 22:44
Sorry C, I like The [Foo Bar] best... obviously, Genius Bar has to be renamed... :)

Kickaha
2005-11-16, 22:45
Now now, don't pout, The Programmer's Pub is a close second, but The [Foo Bar] is too geeky for words. :)

Windswept
2005-11-16, 22:49
Now now, don't pout, The Programmer's Pub is a close second, but The [Foo Bar] is too geeky for words. :)
Whatever you say, Master. ;)

*prostrates self on ground*

:p :p

:D

2005-11-16, 22:52
Heh. Carol said *prostrates*.

Heh.

HehHeh.

ShadowOfGed
2005-11-16, 22:54
Whatever you say, Master. ;)

*prostrates self on ground*

:p :p

:DAnd I thought this (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?postid=264546#post264546) was bad... :lol: :p

Kickaha
2005-11-16, 23:00

Heh.

HehHeh.

Thank god she had that second 'r' in there... :D

2005-11-16, 23:13

Hey now. If Moogs can have the ™ as his trademark, let me have the intentional misuse (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=246202&#post246202) of similar sounding words as mine. :D

Batman
2005-11-17, 00:03
hem hem ....

Windswept
2005-11-17, 00:26

Heh.

HehHeh.
Geeeeez.... :rolleyes: :p

The 'last' time I remember a situation like this was when I innocently used the term 'felicitations' when attempting to avoid repeating the word "greetings" in a holiday message. :p

The word 'prostRates' was in my mind because I was recently listening to tapes on the travels of Marco Polo in the 1200's. He "prostrated" himself on the ground to offer homage to the emperor of China, iirc.

I don't suppose there's *really* any point in explaining though, is there? :p

;)

Yeah, that's what I thought. :p