PDA

View Full Version : External DVD Writer for my iBook

der Kopf
2005-09-17, 04:00
I live in China (deep mainland: Jinan -Shandong-, if you really must know), and as far as hardware is concerned, there's an abundance of cheap commodity parts available. However, there's hardly any of the mac-focused brands to be found (LaCie, eg).

I was thinking of buying a Powerbook for a while, but shelved those plans after the big Intel announcement. One of the many things I wanted a new machine for was the superdrive though, because my iBook G4 is one of the last to come without such a contraption. Things being the way they are, it looks like I'll be without a superdrive for a while.

To hold me over in the DVD burning department, I was browsing one of the local tech markets (you can take that quite literally: hundreds of small concession stand owners hawking hardware as if it were lifestock), and found that I could buy a Benq DW1640 internal writer and a generic enclosure for about 70 US dollars.

I'm a little worried that it won't work though. Does anyone have any experience with such matters? Does anyone have any experience with anything Benq combined with Mac, for that matter? If so, please let me know.

Matvei
2005-09-17, 07:15
I'm not super-knowledgable but I think that if you enable it through "Patchburn" (freeware) it will work in all iapps and such.

Check out the database of xlr8yourmac.com for the specific drive model.

perhaps someone knows more than I on this though.