PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Material Will Be Aluminum

Messiahtosh
2004-07-15, 22:41
This is all I can allude to. Alcoa (http://www.alcoa.com/usa/en/home.asp)

HOM
2004-07-15, 23:10
http://www.mophil.org/fest/stoppress.jpg

oldmacfan
2004-07-15, 23:22

Stop friggin alluding and spill (http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/oil/default.htm)it.

Bill M
2004-07-15, 23:26
Care to elaborate on that? As you left it, it's almost as bad as the *confirmed* titles of old.

propellerhead
2004-07-15, 23:26

I wasn't able to find anything on that site regarding consumer electronics (other than their telecommunications section, but that didn't have much either.)

onlyafterdark
2004-07-15, 23:34
I didnt find anything either besides the observation that they produce aluminium products.

iMeowbot
2004-07-15, 23:37
That seems more or less consistent with the December Digitimes article, where they claimed there was to be a magnesium alloy enclosure. Mg is common in Al alloys and vice versa.

If it's really an Mg alloy, they were going for light weight and good heat dissipation. If 5000-series Al, all that the Mg would really buy is corrosion resistance, which might be useful if a compact G5 system forced them into liquid cooling and the case doubled as a heat exchanger.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-16, 00:08
Now it makes sense. Thanks iMeowbot for clearing that up a little.

Eugene
2004-07-16, 00:18
Alcoa and Easton together make up about 90% of the aluminum market. Heh.

Barto
2004-07-16, 00:28
"Color", using "er" instead of "re", all of it never seems to bother me. EXCEPT "aluminum" which not only changes the spelling but the PRONUNCIATION of aluminium, making Americans sound like they have a speech impediment when they say it.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 00:48
Alcoa has been contracted to produce the Aluminum enclosure for the new iMac.

Barto
2004-07-16, 01:02
I searched for iMac on their web site, there is nothing on their main page... what's your basis for asserting this?

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 01:05
I searched for iMac on their web site, there is nothing on their main page... what's your basis for asserting this?I can not say. I searched everything Apple on the site too, nothing comes up. I am just going on record right now, saying that the new iMac G5 will be made in an aluminum enclosure. I can not say more without causing a problem for someone. Take it as it is. Sorry.

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 01:05
This is interesting. If there is any truth to the aluminum thing, do y'all think we could see the return of colorful iMacs in the form of anodized alu?

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 01:14
See, when I found this information out, I was surprised. I thought to myself, "how can Apple make a consumer desktop computer out of aluminum?" It just doesnt fit in with the way the "white-look" is for consumer products and the aluminum metal-look is for the pro hardware, does it? But then there's the iPod mini, which is made out of aluminum.

I think it is possible that the new iMac will be a variation on that idea, possibly in annodized aluminum. Maybe 3 colors coming in silver, blue, and green? That's my guess, based on the information I have.

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 01:25
This is interesting. If there is any truth to the aluminum thing, do y'all think we could see the return of colorful iMacs in the form of anodized alu?
It would certainly be anodized even if they went with a plain silver offering, the main purpose of the treatment is to protect the surface from corrosion, so you won't get that icky white powdery buildup that leaves gray marks on your fingers. Coloring is almost a freebie, but it would complicate inventories if there is to be more than one screen size or processor speed.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 01:27
Maybe it will just be a 17 inch, or maybe it wont have a screen at all. Thats still sort of up in the air.

johnq
2004-07-16, 01:39
"Color", using "er" instead of "re", all of it never seems to bother me. EXCEPT "aluminum" which not only changes the spelling but the PRONUNCIATION of aluminium, making Americans sound like they have a speech impediment when they say it.

No, "aluminium" makes aussies and brits sound like girlish prats. :D

It's "loom-num" as spoken by Bush that is truly moronic.

---

On the Alcoa site, if using Safari, try clicking customer login and clicking the "username" field to type something. :) (no fair using tab)

Smart system! Knows I have no account even before I type anything! :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 01:40
Maybe it will just be a 17 inch, or maybe it wont have a screen at all. Thats still sort of up in the air.

No, it'll have a screen. The hopes of a headless iMac died with the into of the new displays. They are just too expensive to be paired with a consumer machine. Granted, they are amazing displays, Apple has priced them out of the range of most consumers.

Mark my words, there is no way the new iMacs will be headless.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 01:46
Okay, the new iMacs wont be headless then, fine. The aluminum enclosure could come in just the silver color, or whatever color it is, but just one. Then it could be differentiated by screen size etc.

It is possible that there will be color options and display size options though, it would not be unheard of, but it would be difficult to properly handle inventory.

Barto
2004-07-16, 02:32
Apple could introduce new consumer level displays along with a headless iMac. A headless iMac has always been unlikely BUT the new displays don't make it more or less likely in my opinion.

Paranoid666au
2004-07-16, 02:40
The new iMacs won't be aluminium. :no:

Why? Cause polycarbonate plastic is cheaper. Simple! :cool:

And they won't be headles either.

Barto
2004-07-16, 03:01
I agree. If there is one thing Apple is well known for it is using cheaper materials to reduce the price of their computers.

Oh wait, that's not what Apple is well known for at all :p

johnq
2004-07-16, 03:27
Mark my words, there is no way the new iMacs will be headless.

You're leaving out an option. Not headless, but "removable head".

Ship new iMacs with a 17" widescreen display attached by VESA.

This forces consumers to at least buy an Apple display but also lets the user be able to upgrade the display later. This keeps it priced high enough to not harm other Mac sales. And also minimizes the Apple CPU with $25 used Dell monitor effect.

Apple would be stupid to release a cheap headless Mac unless they force the user to at least buy the default display. That the user can use a 3rd party display after is irrelevant.

Hell, Apple cripples it's iBook line (only mirror mode) specifically to not harm PowerBook sales.

Point is, a headless will eat into PowerMac G5 sales. You know it would. I know I'd buy 2-4 rather than getting one PM. At best Apple would break even (less PM sales but more new headless Mac sales)

But a removable-head-Mac will please not only iMac fans but those that would have bought iMacs but feared it because it was all in one.

I never bought one because if the display dies the computer is useless. If the computer died the display is useless. No thanks. I love them to death but, nope...no sale.

But if this new iMac simply gloms onto the display...perfect.

The default display wouldn't need be wasted, just use the stand the new display comes with (or buy a seperate one) and either sell it, keep it for emergencies or use is as a second display.

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 03:35
The new iMacs won't be aluminium. :no:

Why? Cause polycarbonate plastic is cheaper. Simple! :cool:
Did you know that underneath the iMac G4's plastic shell is a second, complete cast metal dome? It serves as the frame and for RF shielding. An Al housing would reduce the parts count and assembly complexity.

Bill M
2004-07-16, 04:01
The aluminum iMac G5 makes sense, due to the recently introduced new displays... and for that same reason, my thoughts below:

I am leaning more and more towards a headless iMac G5 with optional (sold separately) new aluminum 15" and 17" iDisplay. Why? Price. The all-in-one concept is really cool, but the attached display makes the current iMacs more expensive than anything else on the market. Most potential switchers already have either analog or digital displays at home, so a headless iMac G5 would finally become affordable and hard to resist to a larger audience. Including those who would love a new 20" Aluminum Display, but can't afford or need a $1,600 G5 tower (or whatever price the 1.6 G5 is/was).

Make the new DVI iDisplay *attachable* to the new iMac and you have the best of both worlds. This obviously would require some Ive-magic™. Also include a stand alone base for those who want to add it to their PCs or Macs or PowerBooks, etc...

Sell the low end iMac G5 @ $899 (1.6, CDR), all the way to $1,299 (2.0, DVDR). Offer the 15" iDisplay at $499 and the 17" at $799, with similar specs as the new aluminum displays such as contrast and refresh rate. Buy them together, get $100 discount. So:

iMac G5 AIO from $1,299 to $1,999 (+/- CTO options)
iMac G5 headless $899 to $1,299 (+/- CTO options)

This wouldn't be a full departure from the AIO due to the *attachable* iDisplay, yet would make a strong contender to increase market share. The G4 Cube was a step in the right direction, but was poorly marketed and priced even worst.
:cool:

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 07:56
Messiahtosh, you are SO flirting with an ass beating if you're just Meadering stuff out there to sound "in the loop". All the coy teasers are more annoying than not.

Flat out...do you actually KNOW something, for real, OR are did you read an article about Alcoa yesterday and just pulled something out of thin air and are speculating they might actually have something to do with the new iMac?

Goodyear might be making the new iPods, but I doubt it. But I could certainly come on here, out of the blue, and make a case for it.

:)

Anyway, what's with the blue, green and silver stuff? Any reliable reasons you'd say that too, or are those just a few of your favorite colors?

:confused:

If everyone came on here and dropped cryptic, half-complete nuggets and then claimed "no, I must not go further..." while, in effect, going further with more half-ass teasers but never coming right out and saying anything that means something, this place would suck.

If you're just speculating and all, that's totally cool (what this forums for). But you need to state that and come clean.

johnq
2004-07-16, 08:36
shit, I hadn't even noticed the thread starter was messiahtosh...

:lol: jokes on me

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 08:41
Real information or not, Alcoa would be a sensible source for an iMac housing. They do have at least two contract casting businesses, in their auto parts division and maybe more of interest Howmet, and they're capable of making some very nice castings that need little additional finishing.

My guess is that the G5 iMac's form factor won't be radically different from the G4 version; recent updates have been like that with G5 tower a metallic riff on the G3/G4 handled box, and mini a similar variation of the original iPod. A metallic take on iLamp would still want a cast shell like the G4 uses, but if the metal's going to show they aren't going to get away with the cheesy "cage" inside the current model with its roughly ground off flash. They'll want something that comes out of the die of mold in decent shape, that doesn't take forever to machine into something presentable.

johnq
2004-07-16, 08:46
I predict it will be constructed in Asia, will run on AC current, does not hover, and will not run Mac OS 7.

*CONFIRMED*

But that's all I can say for now...

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 08:53
Wild-ass speculation is our friend. It takes our luggage to the airport.

Paranoid666au
2004-07-16, 08:58
I've read before that aluminium is hard to work with and having a metal case with a plastic cover is probly still cheaper.

But you never know. I can't see it.

I mean the iBook is still polycarbonate plastic.

Hmm, :) Gee it is an interesting consept, an aluminium iMac

iMeowbot
2004-07-16, 09:43
Aluminum isn't hard to work with at all, as long as you match the type and forming process correctly. Die casting, followed by a bit of blasting, would give a nice Apple-ish finish.

According to Ive, the main reason iBook got a Lexan shell was for impact resistance, not really a cost-cutting move (there are much cheaper plastics around if that's the goal). Here (http://www.designmuseum.org/designerex/jonathan-ive/) is a fun link that explains Apple's recent material choices without getting into silliness about sunflowers.

Luca
2004-07-16, 10:15
Won't run Mac OS 7? Dude... haven't you heard of vMac? It's a Mac Plus emulator! The Plus could run up through 7.5.5, and 7.5.3 was the first Mac OS referred to as "Mac OS 7" rather than "System 7."

So you're wrong. :D ;)

Can't think of any reason it would hover though... so I guess you got me on that one.

HOM
2004-07-16, 10:55
Won't run Mac OS 7? Dude... haven't you heard of vMac? It's a Mac Plus emulator! The Plus could run up through 7.5.5, and 7.5.3 was the first Mac OS referred to as "Mac OS 7" rather than "System 7."

So you're wrong. :D ;)

Can't think of any reason it would hover though... so I guess you got me on that one.

*NITPICK* Actually, the first OS called "Mac OS" was 7.6.1 not 7.5.3. I knew it was coming, but when I saw the Welcome To MacOS screen my jaw hit the floor.

The reasons I use vMac is so I can run all the amazing games of my youth. Stuncopter, Cairo Shootout, Cosmic Osmo, Crystal Quest (Fuck Crystal Crazy), The Ancient Art of War, and the first LAN game I ever played, Net Trek all reside on my HDD and all get played about once a week.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of Making Millions, there's a $20 bill for you.

Luca
2004-07-16, 11:41
*NITPICK RESPONSE*

I had a PowerBook 520c a while back. It had either 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 on it, I don't remember which, but it booted with the Mac OS logo and not the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen.

However, according to this exhaustive report on different releases of the Mac OS (http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/MacOSXClasses/macosxone/macintosh.html), 7.5.1 was the first release to sport the "Mac OS" startup screen. I know my PowerBook 520c had that screen though, and I know it had some form of 7.5, because I had thought about installing 7.6 on it and decided against it because it wouldn't be worth it.

ON-TOPIC RESPONSE:

I'm not surprised the next iMac will be aluminum. There are some excellent reasons for it being that way that others have stated (heat dissipation, reduction in materials used), and I think it also indicates the iMac will be a more pro-like machine. Not on the level of the PowerMac, but the eMac already covers the low cost segment. Maybe it just means the iMac will be somewhat expensive, BUT the cost will be justified because performance will be closer to the PowerMac than the eMac for the cost.

I don't know how well that'll work. I'm afraid it'll fail. But we just have to wait and see.

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 12:07
I'm telling you guys...a simple name shift fixes EVERYTHING. :)

eMac > iMac (sub $1,000 AIO for education, newbies, budget buyers, consumers)

iMac > The Mac ($1000-2000 true mid-range machine, headless preferably, nicely appealing to people like me who don't need the expandability - or want the bulk - of a full-on G5 tower)

Aluminum, DVI, announced with a new 17" display (allowing for 3 choices in Apple displays, OR any third-party one you prefer).

iMac remains AIO. Prosumers finally satisfied. Pros still have the honkin' towers.

Everyone's happy, problem solved, crisis averted, Apple sells craploads of display to G5, The Mac and PowerBook users. Next case please?

:D

Luca
2004-07-16, 12:52
I know. You're absolutely right. Everyone's happy in that case... except, I suppose, Steve Jobs. I think he has his head too far up his ass to pull something off that makes so much sense. Not to knock the guy, I mean, he did pull Apple out of near-certain doom a few years ago, but for someone who promotes innovation as often as he does, he's sure afraid to let his company try something new.

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 12:59
Screw Jobs and his "happiness". It ain't about that.

I'M trying to kickstart something here that would actually matter and make a difference in the "big picture" (and *gasp* actually responds to the pleas and demands of many, many customers).

That's more than he's done on that front lately.

All he wants to do is talk about the iPod 24/7...

:p

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 13:01
Guess I just made sure that I'll NEVER get a job at Apple with that little outburst above... :lol:

"Mr. Scates, it says here on your resumé that you often think Steve Jobs is, and I'm quoting here, 'full of his own ass'. An interesting observation. Uh, we'll be in touch...".

Messiahtosh
2004-07-16, 13:13
Paul, I do believe the iMac G5 will be made out of Aluminum, because someone who would know told me.

The rest of the talk about colors and screen size is all speculation.

If I'm wrong about this, all I can say is sorry. But...I do not think I'll be wrong about this.

Robo
2004-07-16, 13:44
Idunno what I think about this...I mean, Apple is famous now for its icy pearl white stuff (I've heard plenty of people, magazines, etc. say "iMac/iPod white," etc.) and now they're getting all crazy with it. Colored iMacs? Colored iPods? Idunno...

Eugene
2004-07-16, 14:11
I agree. If there is one thing Apple is well known for it is using cheaper materials to reduce the price of their computers.

Oh wait, that's not what Apple is well known for at all :p
Except that's precisely what they did with the iBooks. The newer 'dual USB' iBooks have much more plastic than the original 'dual USB' ones did.

Did you know that underneath the iMac G4's plastic shell is a second, complete cast metal dome? It serves as the frame and for RF shielding. An Al housing would reduce the parts count and assembly complexity.
But there isn't mich of it because it's not there for structural reinforcement. I don't really see how assembly would be easier using aluminum. It would be harder to get form fitting pieces just right. The added weight would contribute to design considerations.

thegelding
2004-07-16, 14:23
i hear the next iMac will be made of dry wall and joint compound...

SJ got the "inspiration" while walking through his run down mansion in

cali (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/garden/15JOBS.html)

g

sCreeD
2004-07-16, 14:41
Did anyone understand that bit about Apple taking an increased charge for the new iMac due to shipping. As in: the new iMacs will weigh much more because their made of aluminium and therefore cost more to ship.

:\ Or did I not hear that correctly?

Screed

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 14:47
For those of you wanting to read the article from above that thegelding posted but not wanting to resister for the NY times site...

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/garden/15JOBS.html)

username: appleinsider
password: appleinsider

Funny read too.

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 14:51
Did anyone understand that bit about Apple taking an increased charge for the new iMac due to shipping. As in: the new iMacs will weigh much more because their made of aluminium and therefore cost more to ship.

:\ Or did I not hear that correctly?

Screed

That may be it. But you have to realize that aluminum is not a heavy material, not so much heavier that it would be reason for increased shipping costs on its own. If the shipping prices go up, it's for different reasons than a material switch.

nowayout11
2004-07-16, 16:40
Shippings costs in general have been increasing, even for the same weight.

Ryan
2004-07-16, 18:58
Paul, I do believe the iMac G5 will be made out of Aluminum, because someone who would know told me.

If I'm wrong about this, all I can say is sorry. But...I do not think I'll be wrong about this.

I don't think that it will be made out of aluminum. Pro and consumer machines have always had distictly different looks. Why should Apple change that?

applenut
2004-07-16, 20:31

you are an 18 year old in hicksville, USA that goes to Penn State and has too much money for your own good. You know nothing and have lied about stuff like this in the past. There is no reason to believe you, and the last person who would find out anything about a future iMac would be you.

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 20:48
'nut, you really need to learn to just come out and say what you mean. All this beating around the bush and so forth is so hard to grasp. No harm in saying what you really think. Don't be shy, we're all friends here!

sCreeD
2004-07-16, 22:20
For those of you wanting to read the article from above that thegelding posted but not wanting to resister for the NY times site...

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/garden/15JOBS.html)
[snip]
I truly hope Steve hasn't been pulling Ive off of the new Mac for a new house!!

Can you imagine the amount of aluminium for that project!?

Screed

oldmacfan
2004-07-16, 23:22
I don't think that it will be made out of aluminum. Pro and consumer machines have always had distictly different looks. Why should Apple change that?

Can you say Blue and white G3 and 5 flavors iMac.

Can you say original G4's and iMac SE.

Time to open your eyes and see past the last two years.

oldmacfan
2004-07-16, 23:23
you are an 18 year old in hicksville, USA that goes to Penn State and has too much money for your own good. You know nothing and have lied about stuff like this in the past. There is no reason to believe you, and the last person who would find out anything about a future iMac would be you.

Do you have a link on those lies?

windowsblowsass
2004-07-16, 23:25
well that may all be true but dont diss psu :D

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 00:41
you are an 18 year old in hicksville, USA that goes to Penn State and has too much money for your own good. You know nothing and have lied about stuff like this in the past. There is no reason to believe you, and the last person who would find out anything about a future iMac would be you.First of all, Hicksville, PA? I live in State College, PA-home of one of the nations top public research institutions. I do know some things Applenut, probably a lot more than I lead on from the way I "act on the internet." I lied in the past under a false identity, and did it purposefully because, back then I thought it was funny.

We'll see if I am right or not. I do have a "source" that would know this information, so we'll see. Maybe I'll get the last laugh, maybe you will. Either way, I don't really care.

And oh yeah, the money comment. It's true, my parents make a combined salary of over what John Kerry would consider "rich." Also, let's just clear this up about the whole hick thing. My dad earned his PhD in political science and is the university lobbyist, while my mom is a lawyer with her own practice. So, I guess I'm a trailer park hick? I guess some people can just be jealous?

Applenut, why do you always try to throw me screwballs?

Mac+
2004-07-17, 01:21
Thanks for the link DMB and sheesh applenut blows back in and wastes no time in making his presence felt. :rolleyes:

C'mon 'nut cut the kid some slack - wait and see ... he could be right, he could be wrong - but leave the personal attacks and snide comments for some other message board will ya?

iMeowbot
2004-07-17, 01:42
But there isn't mich of it because it's not there for structural reinforcement.
Huh? That innter dome is essentially the entire chassis. All the boards and drives are screwed into it, and it provides the rigidity required for the display arm via the fan mounting plate. The Lexan shell is really a cosmetic piece.

I don't really see how assembly would be easier using aluminum. It would be harder to get form fitting pieces just right.

Not really, since the existing chassis already has those fit constraints with all the board and drive mounts mounts, in addition to a good fit with the outer shell. Unifying those components would make assembly (and service!) a heck of a lot simpler.

The added weight would contribute to design considerations.
No, not at all. The existing zinc chassis is about 0.25 pound per cubic inch. Polycarbonate on the outside helps to balance it some, since that's only about 0.04 lb/ci

For aluminum, we're looking at a bit under 0.09 lb/ci. It's twice as dense as the plastic, but only a third as dense as the zinc. The final weight of a unified shell would be roughly the same.

Escher
2004-07-17, 07:47
What is it with kids getting hung up about what their parents do, how much money they make, and where they live? Do you have no identity of your own? :rolleyes:

Somebody's mother is a principal. Somebody else's dad drives a garbage truck. Some kids families are below the poverty line, others have millions. Who the hell cares? It's not like this is the "Blue Blood BB."

applenut and Messiahtosh: Take your silly (parents') ego trips elsewhere!

Let's talk about the iMac G5, and whether it will be aluminum or not!

Escher

Escher
2004-07-17, 07:51
Back on topic: I say the iMac G5 will indeed have an aluminum case. It will ship with a pre-attached display (15" Alu-style LCD on the low end) in the same box, but will come headless as a "BTO" option.

Escher

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 09:10
I will not tolerate personal attacks.

We'll see if I'm right, and I have a good feeling that I will be.

One other thought on the future of the iMac: a lot of people have come to a consensus that the iMac G5 will have wireless peripherals (like keyboard and mouse) as a default option. If so, Apple can get away with mounting some of the components behind the screen, without having cables dangling off of the side or back. With wireless connectivity, Jobs stays true to his iMac Flat Panel word, and delivers bluetooth to the masses at the same time.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 10:02
I keep thinking, sadly, how truly awful it's going to be if - after all this build-up and anticipation - this thing gets released in two months and it's:

1. Ugly (well, not "ugly"...just not anywhere near as cool-looking as the sunflower design or even the original jellybean)
2. Stupidly overpriced (that should be expected, at this point. Forget what Anderson said in that conference call...he was probably talking about the eMac anyway. I'd love to see how they're going to get a G5-based machine with a possible LCD attached to hit the $999 mark...I'd love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. It'll start at $1299, at best...and that'll be with low-end graphics and some other clever "crippling" included...to get one actually worth a true shit, you'll have to drop $1799-1999)
3. Not designed like the true mid-range/prosumer machine it SHOULD be (non-AIO, SOME sort of easy upgrades to RAM, hard drive, graphics).
4. Not available in any sort of reliable quantity for another few months (like everything else Apple announces)
5. Seems to have learned no lessons from previous iMac and appears to have been designed/created in a vacuum, totally devoid of customer input or desires

:mad:

If any of the above comes to be, I'll be a tad pissed. However, since it is Apple and it is the iMac we're talking about, I'd lay good money that all five of the above are likely to occur.

:(

I've never wanted to be more wrong about something in my entire life. But going on 4-5 years of history, I think the odds are totally in my favor. Unless a light bulb just magically lit up in Cupertino and they're suddenly going to do a 180 turn from everything they've been doing for the past 5 years.

Who knows...maybe the leap from the iMac G4 to the iMac G5 will be as substantial as the one from the MDD G4 to the G5 tower. Remember how much we freaked out upon viewing those leaked specs on the Apple online store? Remember that feeling of "holy shit, they're serious...look at those features and specs!!! Dual 2GHz...WHAT?!? This IS Apple's site, right?"

Would be NICE.

:rolleyes:

Ryan
2004-07-17, 11:18
Can you say Blue and white G3 and 5 flavors iMac.

Can you say original G4's and iMac SE.

Time to open your eyes and see past the last two years.

Okay, "always" was a mistake, but a lot can change in two years.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 12:44
I keep thinking, sadly, how truly awful it's going to be if - after all this build-up and anticipation - this thing gets released in two months and it's:
:rolleyes: I think you are setting yourself up for a major surprise.

Barto
2004-07-17, 13:22
Messiahtosh, even if you DO know something that doesn't mean you have do your tease act all the time.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 13:27
Messiahtosh, even if you DO know something that doesn't mean you have do your tease act all the time.I am not teasing at all. What is wrong with you people and your negativity? Don't be a negativity spreader, Barto.

I just think Paul is underestimating Apple right now.

Barto
2004-07-17, 13:38
Messiahtosh, you are being a tease. You could have qualified your remark to make it clear whether you were basing it on information from your "source" or your own personal opinion. For example:

"I disagree, I think Apple won't repeat their past mistakes"
"I have information that Apple won't repeat past mistakes"

None of this bullshit about "being suprised" etc.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 13:42
Messiahtosh, you are being a tease. You could have qualified your remark to make it clear whether you were basing it on information from your "source" or your own personal opinion. For example:

"I disagree, I think Apple won't repeat their past mistakes"
"I have information that Apple won't repeat past mistakes"

None of this bullshit about "being suprised" etc.I simply said I think you will be surprised. I said "I think" which implies personal opinion.

oldmacfan
2004-07-17, 14:54
Okay, "always" was a mistake, but a lot can change in two years.
I think the recent ice white "fad" is going to last as long as the G4 in any particular system. Although the eMac G5 I just can't see in metal with out a total redesign (ie no CRT). The iBook I can see in metal matching the mini iPod's.

oldmacfan
2004-07-17, 15:02
I think the recent ice white "fad" is going to last as long as the G4 in any particular system. Although the eMac G5 I just can't see in metal with out a total redesign (ie no CRT). The iBook I can see in metal matching the mini iPod's.
As a matter of fact, I just can't see future eMac updates in style. I highly doubt they will put in a 19-21 CRT, it would be just unruly. I could see them putting in a wide screen CRT (17"), but I do not know if such a thing exists. I know I have seen larger HD TV's that are Tube based and widescreen. I really think the eMac will not get an LCD display until that market is a true commodity market.

Robo
2004-07-17, 21:22
Yeah, the eMac will stay the way it is for a while. In fact, I must admit, I'm suprised the iMac is getting a G5 so soon...

I like the current iMac a ton. I hope Apple doesn't fumble the ball on this one.

But enough about the iMac. Back to drooling over the new leaked (and real!) iPod :)

DMBand0026
2004-07-18, 03:29
As a matter of fact, I just can't see future eMac updates in style. I highly doubt they will put in a 19-21 CRT, it would be just unruly. I could see them putting in a wide screen CRT (17"), but I do not know if such a thing exists. I know I have seen larger HD TV's that are Tube based and widescreen. I really think the eMac will not get an LCD display until that market is a true commodity market.

Steve said it himself, the days of the CRT are over. Next major eMac revision (if there is one) will see the eMac get a LCD. No doubt in my mind.

Barto
2004-07-18, 06:59
Steve was wrong. If the CRT was dead when Jobs said it was, the eMac wouldn't have been introduced at all. The eMac is a cheap, powerful and durable computer. Apple should not sacrifice any of the above by adding an LCD.

oldmacfan
2004-07-18, 08:28
Steve said it himself, the days of the CRT are over. Next major eMac revision (if there is one) will see the eMac get a LCD. No doubt in my mind.

DMB meet Barto... :lol:

Steve was wrong. If the CRT was dead when Jobs said it was, the eMac wouldn't have been introduced at all. The eMac is a cheap, powerful and durable computer. Apple should not sacrifice any of the above by adding an LCD.

Some things take a long time time to kill off, and I stand behind my comments. :p

Moogs
2004-07-18, 14:11
Nice sig link...

:lol:

KillleriMac17
2004-07-18, 16:30

Actually, Steve said CRT's are dead, and no more crt machines BEFORE the emac was introduced. :p

matt
2004-07-20, 21:35
I think the iMac will stay white. The new 4Gs are white. White is still the consumer color. Plus it is cheaper. And most importantly, if they stay with white they will not have to relase a new keyboard and mouse.

Although, on the other hand, the PowerMac line is dying for a silver mouse/keyboard so maybe they will. Oh I am undecided, but I do feel an all white G5 is on the way. (I hope too, Snow White is so clean!)

DMBand0026
2004-07-21, 02:32
Oh I am undecided, but I do feel an all white G5 is on the way. (I hope too, Snow White is so clean!)

White G5? No way. Pro = Aluminum. Consumer (usually) = white/plastic. There will never ever be a plastic and or white G5, just won't happen. Sorry to disappoint.

stangmatt66
2004-07-21, 12:16

Ditto! The eMac will take over where the current version of the iMac left off. Which means a low cost, G4 powered system with a built in LCD. Don't expect the CRT to stick around in the next generation eMac.

stangmatt66
2004-07-21, 12:18
Although, on the other hand, the PowerMac line is dying for a silver mouse/keyboard...

I was thinking this too until I saw the new LCDs, which are Al and White. This leads me to believe that the white mouse and keyboard are here to stay.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-21, 14:21
I was thinking this too until I saw the new LCDs, which are Al and White. This leads me to believe that the white mouse and keyboard are here to stay.
The new LCDs aren't white at all ???

sCreeD
2004-07-21, 14:40
They are along the left and right sides.

Screed

MacUsers
2004-07-21, 14:40
The new LCDs aren't white at all ??? The side is... where the touch buttons are...

beat me to it by a few seconds sCreeD

Messiahtosh
2007-08-07, 20:36
Hhahhahahah

Windowsrookie
2007-08-07, 20:39
New iMac is Carbon Fiber!

You heard it here first.

Robo
2007-08-07, 20:47
Hhahhahahah

You were just three years ahead, Mtosh. :lol:

The iMac G5/Core Duo/Core 2 Duo weren't aluminum...but the new Santa Rosa/Core 2 Extreme one finally is. :D

Messiahtosh
2007-08-07, 20:50
You were just three years ahead, Mtosh. :lol:

The iMac G5/Core Duo/Core 2 Duo weren't aluminum...but the new Santa Rosa/Core 2 Extreme one finally is. :D

See...I'm just too far ahead of the curve, and you guys thought I was just nuts! :D

Rehnquist
2007-08-08, 13:36
I believed you :o

Kickaha
2007-08-08, 13:37
See...I'm just too far ahead of the curve, and you guys thought I was just nuts! :D

Wasn't that John Dvorak's excuse on the Intel-switch he pounded on his column for a decade?

;)

Messiahtosh
2007-08-09, 10:45
Wasn't that John Dvorak's excuse on the Intel-switch he pounded on his column for a decade?

;)

Wait a minute, you're right...I'm DVORAK! It all makes sense now: the boundless love for everything-Apple, the neverending threads about how much I love Steve Jobs and Apple designs....I'M DVORAK, THE CLOSET APPLE-LOVER!

Kickaha
2007-08-09, 21:28
I knew it. ;)

RowdyScot
2007-08-09, 22:15
Dvorak has 7% body fat? Wow, that's news to me!