PDA

View Full Version : How long are you awake at night?

Zodiac
2004-07-16, 04:16
The birds are chirping there morning song and I'm still not asleep( It's 5:15am here).

_Ω_
2004-07-16, 04:42
I have found that being in bed and not in front of your computer is more conducive for sleep :p

Intentional no-sleep or insomnia?

:)

Zodiac
2004-07-16, 04:44
A mix of both. Plus I can't seem to stop laughing at everything keeping me awake more so.

Windswept
2004-07-16, 04:48
The birds are chirping there morning song and I'm still not asleep( It's 5:15am here).
Go to a health food store and get some calcium/magnesium/vit. C powder to mix in a glass of hot water and drink before bedtime. Avoid cokes, coffee, teas with caffeine, chocolate, allergy meds. with pseudephedrine sulfate in the evening.

I bought some home-grown chamomile tea, and it was noticeably relaxing. The commercial chamomile didn't seem to work at all.

There's also the herb Valerian. Three at bedtime might work.

Soak in a hot bath right before bedtime, after taking that calcium powder.

Get some kind of daily exercise.

If these fail, maybe your doctor can come up with something. Difficulty sleeping is a horrible curse. You have my greatest sympathy. :(

Oh, and you could look into TM, transcendental meditation. I used to meditate every day for 20 minutes (not at night). Once I learned how, it was deeply restful.

Ambien, the presciption med., works. But it's not for continual use.

You don't have to get up and go to work, do you? :(

Zodiac
2004-07-16, 05:27
Go to a health food store and get some calcium/magnesium/vit. C powder to mix in a glass of hot water and drink before bedtime. Avoid cokes, coffee, teas with caffeine, chocolate, allergy meds. with pseudephedrine sulfate in the evening.

I bought some home-grown chamomile tea, and it was noticeably relaxing. The commercial chamomile didn't seem to work at all.

There's also the herb Valerian. Three at bedtime might work.

Soak in a hot bath right before bedtime, after taking that calcium powder.

Get some kind of daily exercise.

If these fail, maybe your doctor can come up with something. Difficulty sleeping is a horrible curse. You have my greatest sympathy. :(

Oh, and you could look into TM, transcendental meditation. I used to meditate every day for 20 minutes (not at night). Once I learned how, it was deeply restful.

Ambien, the presciption med., works. But it's not for continual use.

You don't have to get up and go to work, do you? :(

No, not today.
Well Carol, you seem pretty helpful so...

I get an average of 6 hours of sleep a week
I eat one meal a day
I drink only coke
I get no exercise
I'm losing an average of 5 pounds every 2 weeks(I'm already a fairly skinny person in the first place)

That'll rack your mind.

Oh yeah, and I thought this thread was called "How long are you awake at night" not "Help zodiac with his constant teenage health problems that he has over the summer holidays"

GSpotter
2004-07-16, 15:47
I drink only coke Maybe you should think about. that ;)

I typically go to bed at about midnight and wake up at 6 am on weekdays. On weekends, I sleep until 9-11 am.

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 15:56
It all depends for me

When I'm not in school or working, I'll go to sleep around 4am and wake up around 9-10am.

When I'm in school, it's usually about midnight to 6am

When I'm in a sport (swimming, water polo, or cycling) I get up and work out/practice in the mornings so I'll sleep from 9pm till around 4am and get up and work out.

SKMDC
2004-07-16, 15:57
No, not today.

I eat one meal a day
I drink only coke
I get no exercise
I'm losing an average of 5 pounds every 2 weeks(I'm already a fairly skinny person in the first place)

That'll rack your mind.

Oh yeah, and I thought this thread was called "How long are you awake at night" not "Help zodiac with his constant teenage health problems that he has over the summer holidays"

i see at least three reasons to go see a doctor. 6 hours a WEEK?
see a doctor son.

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 15:59
i see at least three reasons to go see a doctor. 6 hours a WEEK?
see a doctor son.

Seriously. That's not just unhealthy, that's downright dangerous. Especially for a teenager.

sunrain
2004-07-16, 16:02
No, not today.

I eat one meal a day
I drink only coke
I get no exercise

That'll rack your mind.

Jesus, your post has 'cry for help' written all over it. Please go get some.

SKMDC
2004-07-16, 16:04
Seriously. That's not just unhealthy, that's downright dangerous. Especially for a teenager.

but not the most dangerous on his list, losing two and a half pounds weekly is probably the biggest danger sign.

see a doctor.

Windswept
2004-07-16, 16:05
It all depends for me

When I'm not in school or working, I'll go to sleep around 4am and wake up around 9-10am.

When I'm in school, it's usually about midnight to 6am

When I'm in a sport (swimming, water polo, or cycling) I get up and work out/practice in the mornings so I'll sleep from 9pm till around 4am and get up and work out.
Hi DMBand. I think I heard that guys that play water polo are the most fit of all athletes. Is that true?

thegelding
2004-07-16, 16:06
depends...sex or no sex

sex, right to sleep like a baby for 7 or 8 hours

no sex...stay up til 1, wake up at 6...so usually only 5 hours sleep

g

sex is good for you

Moogs
2004-07-16, 16:08
I have occasional bouts with mild insomnia (let me tell you, few things in ordinary life suck worse than not being able to sleep when you know you need it). But generally, as long as I can get some exercise each week and don't sleep in late (usually get up around 7:30 or 8:00 because my job allows it most days) I'm OK.

Zodiac
2004-07-16, 16:24
This happens to me every summer.
Little episodes where I become a restless twig who laughs at everything.
I should be fine eventually.

Windswept
2004-07-16, 16:27

For a male to be losing great amounts of weight and having poor nutrition during a time of teenage growth spurts is a colossally bad idea. You could be affecting your future bone density as an adult male, and causing other long-term negative effects.

But, as you so *graciously* point out, you weren't asking for advice. So instead, I'll mention my sleep schedule. Similar to DMBand, since it's summer, I have been going to bed at 4 a.m. and getting up at 7 a.m. I don't plan or want to have such a schedule, but that's the way it works out. If I'm 'really' lucky, i'll sleep in till 10 a.m.

When I'm teaching, I go to sleep around 1 a.m. and the alarm goes off at 5:50 a.m. Push the snooze button three or four times, fly out of bed at 6:30.

dviant
2004-07-16, 16:30
What's that trick with coke? Stick a penny or nail in a bottle of coke and it disintegrates in a week or something? Drink some water man.

Moogs
2004-07-16, 16:50
Hi DMBand. I think I heard that guys that play water polo are the most fit of all athletes. Is that true?

*aHEM... hrm...cough*

Hockey players.

:D

Windswept
2004-07-16, 17:03
*aHEM... hrm...cough*

Hockey players.

Okay, if you say so. :)

thuh Freak
2004-07-16, 17:09
i gnerally sleep from 2ish to 8-9. weekends i go to bed later (if at all), but sleep a lot later.

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 17:27
Carol, I would've smacked him shitless... ;)

Me? All over the map, really. There are nights - and I can tell when they're going to be because I feel really good and "cuddly" - that I'll lie down, cover up and probably be asleep within 5-10 minutes. I LOVE those nights!

Other times, I can lie there for 90 minutes or more. I'll start thinking of something, then thinking of all the offshoots of the main thing I was thinking about. Then I'll start thinking about not thinking about it. But then I'm thinking about it. And then it's 3:15am.

Just depends...

I try to not have a Dr. Pepper or anything like that after 7pm or so (I usually go to bed on weeknights between 10 and 11). On weekends, however, all bets are off and I've run the range of going to bed at 7pm (!) or staying up - playing guitar or putzing around in Illustrator or Photoshop - until 4-5am.

Kickaha
2004-07-16, 17:32

Okay, if you say so. :)

If he hadn't I was going to. :D

Water polo takes an incredible amount of stamina and strength - but the body doesn't have to take the abuse. Hockey players are considered the most well-balanced athletes around by most sports medicine experts. Of course, there's some debate on that. ;)

My sleep:

Tu and Th nights I spend in my office working. I'll get to sleep between 3 and 5 if I sleep at all, and get up by 9. Usually I just work through the night. At home, (ie, Sa/M/W/F/Sa) I get between 5 and 9 hrs a night, but the hours are highly malleable. I'm trying to train myself to take naps during the day so I can work more steadily around the clock. Whoo.

DMBand0026
2004-07-16, 17:56
*aHEM... hrm...cough*

Hockey players.

I would say its gotta be water polo. All the guys I play with are in incredible shape. You have to have the stamina of a distance swimmer, the speed of a sprinter, the legs of a bodybuilder, the arms of a pitcher, and nerves of steel.

I don't know how many people on AN have actually seen a water polo game, but they get brutal too. If you get the chance, catch some of the olympic games, they are some of the most incredible athletes you will ever see. Treading water for a full half hour while sprinting up and down the pool (on average a polo player will swim a mile and a half during 1 game), shooting, playing defense, and all in a boxing/wrestling/hockey type environment.

This isn't to discount what hockey players do, because I know that they are also incredible athletes (so are many others), but I gotta give credit where credit is due, it's all about water polo :)

Sorry about being so off topic though...I'll be good next time ;)

Kickaha
2004-07-16, 18:02
Sorry about being so off topic though...I'll be good next time ;)

No you won't, you body-shaving, speedo wearing pansy... :D

I've played both - for stamina/strength I actually give water polo the edge. For fine-control hand-eye coordination and overall toughness, hockey gets the win.

And either one will make you sleep really well that night.

(See? Getting it back on topic wasn't *that* difficult... ;) )

Naderfan
2004-07-16, 18:08
Now that I finally have a job (hooray!) I've been going to bed around 10pm and getting up at 5:45am. I haven't had to get up that early since high school, so it's been a brutal two weeks of acclimation. But I think I'm finally getting there. On weekends, I try to stay up late, but I usually can't stay up past 2am. And now I've realized that instead of being able to sleep past noon on weekends, since I started working, I can't sleep past 10. :( Oh well. I love waking up and being able to fall back asleep. Best feeling in the world.

Ryan
2004-07-16, 18:49
I tend to go to sleep around midnight, but every night I just end up thinking about something, and not falling asleep.

And then, right when I'm about to fall asleep, some asshole has to drive around in his car with rap music blaring out all windows at 1:00 AM, and I start cycle all over again. :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 18:58
Haha...yeah, that's a pretty common thing these days. Add that to my "rant and rave, bitch and moan" thread!

ast3r3x
2004-07-16, 20:33
While working 11-12 PM to bed, 530-6 AM wake up.

School... 11-12 PM bed, 6-630 wake up.

It's not a big difference...but there are always those nights when I don't get tired, and I can be up till 4 without getting tired.

Hockey? Water polo? I'm not sure you can say one is better then the other but I'm going to through out soccer. You may laugh, but soccer players are in awesome shape (well their legs), and their stamina is amazing. Hockey players take a bigger beating, but you have times when you don't even have to be doing anything, just short breaks where you can just glide or gently move. Soccer...well at least for most of the games your constantly moving, by your own feet, and most of the time your running. They normally take a pretty good beating too, if it's a good game.

As for water polo, I actually have never seen a full game, just a few short period, but well it looks hard haha.

iBrowse
2004-07-16, 20:37
I'm usually awake until like 6 or 7 AM like 3 or 4 nights a week, and if not I usually don't get very much sleep. But I second Carol's recommendation of Ambien, you can have some fun with it, but only if you stay up on it, but then you wouldn't be asleep, now would you.

Windswept
2004-07-16, 21:38
In college I would sleep from midnight to 7 a.m. It was a natural pattern; no alarm clock required. I remember one roommate told me that I fell asleep faster than any person she had ever seen in her life; that as soon as my head hit the pillow, within ten seconds I was sound asleep. Ah, the joys of a clear conscience. :D

Of course, I did have to do all-nighters on a regular basis: any time I had to write a paper or study for a Russian test, I would go down into our basement study room at 10 pm, and stay up the entire night writing or studying. I would get fatigued, so I learned to study for 45 minutes and then lie down and sleep for 15 minutes. I did this all through the night, every hour. Other people were studying there who could have awakened me if I had slept longer than 15 minutes, but it never became necessary.

Wrt to sleeping and waking:

Then there was the time when I had my condo. It was summer, and I slept uncovered, no sheet, no pajamas, because it was hot even at night. I woke up suddenly about 6 a.m., from a deep sleep, and saw a police officer standing in the doorway of my (upstairs) bedroom. She told me to get dressed and come downstairs.

I threw on a robe and went down to find her and a male officer in my living room. They said my house was listed on a "vacation-watch list", asked me my name, how long I'd lived there. They said my front door had been open. Well, I think they must have meant unlocked, though I find even that difficult to believe. Eventually they went away. It was such a strange thing. I'm sure when they first saw me lying on the bed, they thought i was dead. One good thing is that my house was all nice and clean. :)

Moral: wear something when you sleep :D , and keep your house clean, coz ya just never know when yer gonna have unexpected company drop in! :eek:

LoCash
2004-07-16, 21:46
Dr. LoCash has a prescription for you! Well, the only one I can prescribe. Okay, and by prescribe, I mean that in a very loose metaphorical sense. Go to the drug store. Buy a bunch of Valerian and a bunch of Melatonin and some NyQuil and some aluminium foil. Disregard the weird looks you get from the CVS clerk at the register. When you get home, apply aluminium foil over the windows in your bedroom as to block out morning sunlight. Next, take 500mg of Valerian, 9mg of Melatonin, and two to three shots of NyQuil depending on how much you dig the green death taste.

You will have such kick ass dreams that you'll become addicted to sleep. Or, you could go to your doctor and say, "Look, I can't sleep. This happens sometimes. I get six hours a week. Can you prescribe me something?"

Hopefully, you'll get Ambien or Sonata I think it is called. Probably Ambien for you, as it gives the user a more full night's sleep but takes a little longer to come on. Ambien rocks.

Chinney
2004-07-16, 21:49
[...]

Moral: wear something when you sleep :D , and keep your house clean, coz ya just never know when yer gonna have company drop in! :eek:

Depends who the company is…. ;)

Actually, I feel that there is no down side to being seen nude by anyone…and some upsides to being seen nude by the right person…so why not just go ahead?

Windswept
2004-07-16, 22:00
Depends who the company is…. ;)

Actually, I feel that there is no down side to being seen nude by anyone…and some upsides to being seen nude by the right person…so why not just go ahead?
I have all these *beautiful* satin nightgowns that I can't resist buying; but basically I don't like having anything on when I sleep. Haven't for years.

iBrowse
2004-07-16, 22:28
For a second there LoCash, I thought you were going to tell him to use the tinfoil to freebase the Valerian and Melatonin in the NyQuil. :lol:

LoCash
2004-07-16, 22:37
I have all these *beautiful* satin nightgowns that I can't resist buying; but basically I don't like having anything on when I sleep. Haven't for years.
I bought a couple of those for this girl I lived with for a while. She never wore them though, which bothered me initially, but then I realised I liked her better naked anyway :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-16, 23:00

Yeah, baby! Best post at Nova EVER! :lol: ;)

Member of the Year material here, gang...

We need a little smiley of a guy raising/lowering his eyebrows, with a sideways, horndog grin (a "how YOU doin'" smiley, if you can imagine).

Zodiac
2004-07-16, 23:20
I still havent slept since my first post in this thread. now its 19 hours later!

edit: I should see how much longer i can stay up

Kickaha
2004-07-17, 00:46
Eh, it's overrated.

My record is 86 hrs, straight, working.

I started hallucinating pretty badly around hour 65. By hr 75, my office mate was getting seriously freaked out because I kept muttering at invisible people to leave me the f*ck alone so I could work.

By the end, I was consuming quad-shot lattes about every 90 minutes to stay awake.

The last hour was spent giving a presentation on the project. We got high marks.

I don't remember giving the presentation, really.

Brad
2004-07-17, 01:33
Eh, it's overrated.

Impressive!

My personal best was several years ago and ended up around 60 hours. Somewhere towards the end I started seeing and feeling some really weird stuff, hallucinating I guess. It was like a really bad trip towards the end. I could barely walk or keep my head straight.

All this to finish writing some thesis. I always manage to do my best work when I procrastinate and the pressure is high. I think I got an A on that paper.

alcimedes
2004-07-17, 02:10
i took some beta (they were being used in a sleep study) sleeping pills once. stayed up for 70 hours straight. weird part was, i just wasn't tired.

today i had the best nap i've ever had in my entire life. got home from work and walked out to the pool. busted out the floating chair and laid back for a little sun. thing is, as i was laying there looking up at the trees/passing clouds, i just started to get a bit tired, but not too bad. then the chair started floating around in the pool really slowly. i woke up two hours later more refreshed than from any nap i've ever taken before.

i actually felt weak when i got up my nap was so relaxing.

as for waking up with someone standing in my doorway, that would not go over well with my or my dogs. seems kind of stupid to just walk into someone's place like that. never know if they have a gun or dogs nearby.

DMBand0026
2004-07-17, 03:22
Longest I've gone without sleeping has to be somewhere around 72 hours. It was after a week long swim meet, I woke up at 7am, swam the last session of the meet, and didn't sleep again for days. I don't know why, oh wait, yes I do. There was a non stop party at the hotel that I didn't want to miss a minute of, :) Good times. No one else made it that far though, alcohol will do that to you ;)

Luca
2004-07-17, 04:13
Recently (and this includes tonight), I've been going to bed pretty early, around 8-9 PM, and then naturally waking up around 3 or 4 AM. I just woke up about 15 minutes ago. I feel very rested... still a little groggy, but I'm planning on playing some DDR before I go to work to wake me up fully.

This beats the hell out of my old way of doing things, which was to stay up until I noticed that there was a little light coming in from outside. It sucks going to bed at 5 when you have to get up at 8. Last night, I TRIED to go to bed at about 3 (had to get up at 8) and I tossed and turned in bed for about an hour before I woke up (completely awake) and had to stay up all night. Stayed up all night... all through my workday, fighting sleep, and then when I drove home, I had to pull into a Target parking lot and take about a fifteen minute nap to keep from falling asleep at the wheel during rush hour. It was enough to get me home, but after some dinner and a little bit of hanging around I was totally dead.

So here I am. :) I'm going to try to make this a habit. If I'm tired, don't mind anything I have to do for the next day (i.e. homework), just go to bed immediately and work on the homework early in the morning. I did that a few times last school year and it worked out really well.

Koodari
2004-07-17, 15:49
Eh, it's overrated.

I started hallucinating pretty badly around hour 65. By hr 75, my office mate was getting seriously freaked out because I kept muttering at invisible people to leave me the f*ck alone so I could work.I did 65 hours once (not counting a 1.5 hour nap at about 50 hours). I was doing a programming project, but staying awake was just to try out how it feels - certainly I would have been more productive had I got a stable 8 hour sleep and worked that much less. If I recall correctly, I did not eat much of anything in the last day, probably just drank water, green tea and Jolt. Not enough of Jolt to get a lot of caffeine, so I was staying awake almost without "doping". At around 60 hours, I had lost a large part of my feel sense, so when I walked it felt like gliding around. I not only felt but sort of "heard" my own heartbeat, which was steady and very slow. This is certainly the kind of thing I don't need to try again.

Luca
2004-07-17, 15:51
Argh! I got about seven or eight hours of sleep last night, and already I'm dead tired again. And I've only been up about twelve hours. I mean, yeah, I got up early, but I went to bed early too! What's the deal with that? Do I have to get ten hours of sleep just to prevent myself from nodding off at work? What's the deal?

Zodiac
2004-07-17, 16:41
My record is 78 hours... which was yesterday. I fell asleep, woke up 16 hours later and here I am! I guess I should start TRYING to eat at least.

Chinney
2004-07-17, 19:19
I still havent slept since my first post in this thread.

[...]

Meanwhile, I haven't slept since Carol told me how she slept. ;)

Windswept
2004-07-17, 19:29
Meanwhile, I haven't slept since Carol told me how she slept. ;)
Okay, Chinney. To improve your sleep, tonight I'll wear a pink satin nightgown with little flowers embroidered on the bodice. How's that? :)

Er...make that 'Sunday' night. :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 20:48
Good googley-moogley, STOP it! :D :p

Dave
2004-07-18, 04:04
All this to finish writing some thesis. I always manage to do my best work when I procrastinate and the pressure is high. I think I got an A on that paper. I'm the exact same way. Annoying, isn't it?

Windswept
2004-07-18, 15:33
All this to finish writing some thesis. I always manage to do my best work when I procrastinate and the pressure is high. I think I got an A on that paper.
My master's thesis was 80 pages long. I wrote the rough draft in longhand (I write more "floothly smowing" sentences in longhand) long into the night for several days (I was working full-time during the day), and then toward the end, my friend came over to type while I wrote - assembly-line fashion. She was a life-saver. The next day, I drove the paper across town to the professor's house and stuck it inside his screen door. Nothing like procrastination. :no: God, I hate deadlines! The bane of existence. :grumble:

Moogs
2004-07-18, 15:54
I slept like crap this weekend and I blame this thread for planting the seeds in my subconscious! ;)

Last night I didn't sleep particularly well after watching Monster. No nightmares, just the kind of movie that freaks you out / makes your mind wander afterwards.

Friday night I slept like crap because I played soccer for two hours straight and then had a big meal, which might lead a person to suspect I would be exhausted afterwards, and I was... but i just couldn't freakin get to sleep. One of those deals where you're so tired it's like you body shuts down and your mind stays awake.

With any luck tonight, the Ali G show will put me to sleep.

PhenixReborn
2004-07-19, 19:22
First of all,

Brad, what is your sleeping schedule during the summer? I know during the school year its more random than 30 spins at a roulette table. I'm serious, Brad pulls all-nighters just to work on something totally random. He's the guy you'll work with at the office, who you think always gets there early, but who really just lost track of time last night!

As for me, it's real simple. In bed by 12, by 8. Up by 8 regardless of how much sleep I got. Coffee is my anti-drug! Can we all agree that the biggest problem with not getting enough sleep is the first 10 minutes after you wake up when you keep hearing the pillow calling your name with sweet whispers of it's loving, blissful caress? Just curious. Its the worst time for me. I had to put my alarm across the room just so I would get out of bed.

Argh! I got about seven or eight hours of sleep last night, and already I'm dead tired again. And I've only been up about twelve hours. I mean, yeah, I got up early, but I went to bed early too! What's the deal with that? Do I have to get ten hours of sleep just to prevent myself from nodding off at work? What's the deal?

Just a side-note: check your breathing. If you snore, or if your nose is stuffed up when you wake up, or anything like that, it will kill your sleep quality. When I moved into my apartment, the guy before had a dog, but no vacuum, so there was dog hair everywhere (I'm still picking it up with our vaccuum). It killed me the first few nights cause I couldn't breathe after I went to sleep -- allergies got too bad.

HOM
2004-07-19, 19:48
As for me, it's real simple. In bed by 12, by 8. Up by 8 regardless of how much sleep I got. Coffee is my anti-drug! Can we all agree that the biggest problem with not getting enough sleep is the first 10 minutes after you wake up when you keep hearing the pillow calling your name with sweet whispers of it's loving, blissful caress? Just curious. Its the worst time for me. I had to put my alarm across the room just so I would get out of bed.
Ah, that sweet sweet siren call of the warm pillow. How that song has tormented me for years. I've finally found a cure for it. The cure consists of a combination of MP3 Alarm Clock (http://www.sugarcubesoftware.com/sw/index.php?alarm) (Free and awesome I should add) and my patent pending Rise & Rock playlist (at double volume mind you):

Party Til You Puke (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=415727&selectedItemId=415715)

Don't Call Me White (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2821300&selectedItemId=2821216)

Black Math (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=5196686&selectedItemId=5196660)

I am normally asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the bed. I've never really had a problem sleeping, my record being 23.5 hours straight. I've slept on the subway to work, at concerts, baseball games, and a lot of other random places. But once my mind is set on sleep, nothing can keep it from its goal.

Brad
2004-07-20, 11:50
MP3 Alarm Clock (http://www.sugarcubesoftware.com/sw/index.php?alarm) (Free and awesome I should add)
Heh. PhenixReborn knows the sound of that app even if he may not realize it. ;) That was my alarm clock practically every weekday last year. Some days would be Magic Carpet Ride (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?selectedItemId=1697879&playListId=16 97881), some days something more epic like Barbarian Horde (phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?selectedItemId=5795868&playListId=57 95921), and other days just downright silly like Super Mario's Sleigh Ride (http://remix.supertux.com/songs/Super_Mario_World_SuperMariosSleighRide_OC_ReMix.m p3). Always with gradually increasing volume up to %200!

Recently I've actually been considering writing my own alarm clock program that can play MP4/AAC files... sadly, MP3 Alarm Clock won't recognize them. :\

Since I returned to Raleigh, my own sleep schedule has been fairly regular, but certainly not optimal. I've been getting to bed any time between midnight and 1:30 and waking up between 8 and 8:15. Of course, there's always the occasional night when I'm up to 3 or 4 or 5 programming something that I just can't make myself put down. :p

I would *like* to always be in bed at midnight, but I'm not that well self-disciplined. :D

Luca
2004-07-20, 12:02
There's also iTunes Clock. I use that one. It's pretty simple... all it does is automatically start iTunes playing at the specified time. So it'll work with anything that plays in iTunes. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the features (like gradually increasing volume), but it is free as well.

Are there any apps that can wake the computer from sleep at a specified time? I hate having to leave my computer on when I go to bed, just so it'll wake me up in the morning. I can still sleep with it on, but it's not quite as nice.

BTW, yesterday morning I used "Good Day Sunshine," this morning I used "A Kiss To Build A Dream On" (yes, the theme song from Fallout 2). Neither one is much of an up and at 'em song, but they served their purpose well enough.

Gargoyle
2004-07-21, 18:37
Luca, Yeah. Look in energy saver pref pane.. Under the schedule tab. Also, quite a few PC's have a similar option hidden away in the bios somewhere.

And as for a slight twist to this thread, I am off to bed now. I'll pop back and say hello in the morning so you can work it out for yourself. :D

EDS66
2004-07-21, 23:40
For a male to be losing great amounts of weight and having poor nutrition during a time of teenage growth spurts is a colossally bad idea. You could be affecting your future bone density as an adult male, and causing other long-term negative effects.

But, as you so *graciously* point out, you weren't asking for advice. So instead, I'll mention my sleep schedule. Similar to DMBand, since it's summer, I have been going to bed at 4 a.m. and getting up at 7 a.m. I don't plan or want to have such a schedule, but that's the way it works out. If I'm 'really' lucky, i'll sleep in till 10 a.m.

When I'm teaching, I go to sleep around 1 a.m. and the alarm goes off at 5:50 a.m. Push the snooze button three or four times, fly out of bed at 6:30.

That just plain old sucks.

Gargoyle
2004-07-22, 02:11
Morning. (7h 34m)

_Ω_
2004-07-22, 08:10
I sleep like a baby. Less than 10 hours and I am a wreck :lol:

staph
2004-07-22, 08:23
I sleep like a baby. Less than 10 hours and I am a wreck :lol:

Obviously you haven't spent much time with babies in the house...

...that has to be the worst analogy ever...

staph
2004-07-22, 08:26
Are there any apps that can wake the computer from sleep at a specified time?

Alarm Clock Pro (http://www.koingosw.com/products/alarm_clock_pro.shtml) works well... I've been using it for probably 18 months without any issues.

_Ω_
2004-07-22, 09:07
Obviously you haven't spent much time with babies in the house...

...that has to be the worst analogy ever...

I think it has more to do with "without a care in the world" :)

Though watching the TdF is not helping my beauty sleep!

Spart
2004-07-22, 12:18
Yeah, baby! Best post at Nova EVER! :lol: ;)

Member of the Year material here, gang...

We need a little smiley of a guy raising/lowering his eyebrows, with a sideways, horndog grin (a "how YOU doin'" smiley, if you can imagine).

That's a good one, post that in the smilies thread and I'll probably do it when I get a working copy of Photoshop.