PDA

View Full Version : Ecstasy Rising

LoCash
2004-07-16, 19:48
Did anyone see the ABC Special in April of this year titled, "Ecstasy Rising"? I was just traipsing through the Erowid (http://www.erowid.org/) MDMA vault ( http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/) and found this review (http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_media1.shtml) of the special. It sounds as if it is one of the first decent media reports of a psychoactive drug. Does anyone have a copy, or know how I could get a copy? Did anyone else see it?

Windswept
2004-07-16, 19:56
Did anyone see the ABC Special in April of this year titled, "Ecstasy Rising"? I was just traipsing through the Erowid MDMA vault and found this review (http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_media1.shtml) of the special. It sounds as if it is one of the first decent media reports of a psychoactive drug. Does anyone have a copy, or know how I could get a copy? Did anyone else see it?
I think if you call the offices of your local ABC affiliate, they can give you the number in New York to call to order a copy. At least, that's the procedure I seem to remember from a few years ago when I wanted to get a copy of something. I told them I was a teacher and that I wanted to use the program for my classes. They were very nice, helpful, etc. In the end, I didn't order whatever it was. But you could give it a try. Let me know if this works, okay?

iLikeMyiMacG4
2004-07-16, 20:01
torrentsearch.us
bittorrent link (http://62.212.84.226/torrents/Peter_Jennings_Reporting-Ecstasy_Rising_WABC_01_04_2004_DIVX-1-avi.torrent)
bit torrent link divix rip 1.9GB (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/1662/Peter_Jennings_Reporting-Ecstasy_Rising-DVD-TVRip(1).torrent)
I don't know if these will work or not because I don't know how many seeders/leechers there are but its worth a shot.

LoCash
2004-07-16, 20:12
You rock. The first link works, the second does not. Five hours to go on the download :)

iLikeMyiMacG4
2004-07-16, 20:37
No problem. I love BitTorrent. You can get anything from it. :smokey:

FFL
2004-07-16, 20:39
I think if you call the offices of your local ABC affiliate, they can give you the number in New York to call to order a copy. At least, that's the procedure I seem to remember from a few years ago when I wanted to get a copy of something. I told them I was a teacher and that I wanted to use the program for my classes. They were very nice, helpful, etc. In the end, I didn't order whatever it was. But you could give it a try. Let me know if this works, okay?
Am I the only one who'd be a little too, um, nervous... to try this? Heck, in this day and age, I wouldn't be checking a book out from the library that was even the tiniest bit upbeat about any I11ega1 substance... much less making a special request for a tape from a division of a major corporate conglomerate, complete with my address and credit card info.
<adjusts tinfoil hat for tighter fit> ;)

thuh Freak
2004-07-17, 15:20
i downloaded that shit, and watched it. pretty interesting. i don't remember where i heard it, but that "holes in the brain" shit had scared me out of trying x. peter jennings makes me want to do it though. that guy is unbelievably kewl.

2004-07-17, 20:30
Downloading it now.

FWIW, I've done ecstacy in pill and powder form at least a few dozen times over the last decade. I've never had a bad experience, but then again I've never had a 'Come to Jesus' experience either. In my mind X is just another one of those things you do if you come across it. No harm, no foul.

I'm definitely a powder kind of guy. I simply adore cocaine, though I don't do it often...maybe a half dozen times a year or so...more during Xmas. Although cocaine always leaves me cursing the sunrise and feeling like the biggest piece of shit on the planet as I'm coming down. But, I knew that going in.

The *worst* thing ever is Vitamin K (Ketamine). Don't even think about doing it. It is by far the most horrible powder on the planet. Remember that Bugs Bunny episode where he and the hairy monster get dosed with Ether? Coooommmmee Baaacckkk Heeeeerrree Raaaabbbbiiiiitttttt..... Yup. That's exactly what it's like. Friggin horrible.

LoCash
2004-07-18, 00:17
You have to be careful when breaking up pills into powder, or taking powder from a source you don't trust. Oftentimes these pills get cut with stuff such as chalk, which will pass through your system with no problems if you swallow it, but when you insufflate it you'll send that to your lungs and that isn't really good over time.

I think a lot of the people that have that finding jesus thing on these psychoactives are people that want to in the first place. When I've tripped or taken e I never felt like I was visiting the spirit world or something. When I first took e, it was like a five hour orgasm. It's a five hour lovable relief from life; from anxiety. I'm usually so tired and relieved from a roll on e that I don't do it for a few weeks after that.

But that's just me :) The special was great, nice to see MDMA getting some balanced coverage. It did sicken me to hear the DEA people lying through their rotting skulls, but whatever :)

Trick Fall
2004-07-18, 11:34
I was stunned when I saw that special. A fair and balance look at a drug? On American TV? Stunning.

LoCash
2004-07-18, 20:48
At the end of the special that had some quick sound bites from a few kids about how bad ecstasy was for them, claiming that after you do it you're depressed. One ever likened it to a downward spiral and that it will ruin your life. Not only does it sound similar to some of the commentary in our very own Cocaine thread here, but it's also appropriate to liken these kids to those that have psychiatric problems after taking Acid for instance.

People that seem to develop psychiatric issues after taking LSD are usually the people that had these problems brewing before they took the drug and it was really a matter of time before the problem manifest itself -- the drug just helped it along quicker.

Similarly, the kids at the end of the special looked like they had some serious problems with depression and dealing with reality to begin with. So much so that if they found an "escape" like ecstasy they would have issues letting go of the drug's experience.

I'm not saying it isn't fair to hear their experiences, because I had a recent ex-girlfriend that I gave a couple of pills to as a gift and she had such a hard time on the come down she didn't want to do it again. She's also been on every anti-depressant known to man. I think it takes a little responsibility to look at yourself and ask, "Will I be able to accept the fact that this feeling won't last forever?"

2004-07-18, 21:02
I think it takes a little responsibility to look at yourself and ask, "Will I be able to accept the fact that this feeling won't last forever?"And it takes more than a little responsibility to be able to 'stop' and 'start' and 'stop again'. I have to admit, I've been on the brink looking over more than a few times, but I've got something in me that just says 'Hey there Grey, gettin' a litle close to the edge aren't we? Maybe we need to step back a sec and think about things for a bit'. Thank bloody Yahweh for that.

I've got one friend in jail for coke, and one for heroin. Twice that many I visit regularly at their respective burial plots. I used to buy it, do it and laugh with it with them. I'm definitely one of the lucky ones. Not necessarily smarter, just luckier.

You've said as much in more than this thread, but I think you've got it nailed in the above quote.

drewprops
2004-07-22, 07:23
I've got too many friends in NA to find any benefit in a television special that romanticizes any kind of drug. My drug of choice being alcohol, so I'm not preaching.

LoCash
2004-07-22, 10:33
I wouldn't say the the Peter Jennings report on Ecstasy romanticised MDMA. I would say that it attempted to take a critical look at just how and why the federal government scheduled the substance and made false claims about it creating "holes" in your brain. The show had a lot of psychologists that were very upset the substance was scheduled when they wanted to use it in their practice to treat patients, and many were already having success with that.

When you begin examining the other studies and their findings in regards to MDMA, the substance really shouldn't be a schedule I substance. When you read the definition of a Schedule I substance, those which have a high likelihood of abuse and addiction and damage to your person, and you take a look at what MDMA does, they don't really match up at all. Alcohol and Tobacco are more addictive (physically) and do more harm than MDMA ever has.

I saw this Phillip Morris ad on TV last night talking about how addictive and harmful cigarettes are for you, and it's amazing the bloody things are still legal with all the information about the health risks.

At any rate, I didn't find that the report romanticised the substance, rather, I saw it as attempting to take a critical look at what it really does as opposed to taking what the DEA feeds us as gospel. Besides, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone in NA because they were "addicted" to MDMA.

autodata
2004-07-22, 10:53
I think a lot of the people that have that finding jesus thing on these psychoactives are people that want to in the first place.
Absolutely
People that seem to develop psychiatric issues after taking LSD are usually the people that had these problems brewing before they took the drug and it was really a matter of time before the problem manifest itself -- the drug just helped it along quicker.
Maybe, maybe not. All sort of people get by in the world with some very wacked out personalities. When the drugs spotlight their issues, it might just be the push needed to go over the edge. On the other side, I know from experience that totally competent and rational people absolutely can become quite, let's say, "misguided" or even totally nuts while in a period of drug use.

The problem with MDMA is that it can lead to muscle issues if used too much. I don't know if there are any studies on it, but I and other people I know have this experience, ranging from permanent grinding of teeth to minor loss of full control over certain muscles. It's not really that bad, though, and not everyone goes through it. The only other big thing is hightened sensitivity.

With psychadelics, the key to having a good experience with positive long-term effects is to do everything in a deliberate and intelligent way. The people that lose it are those that let the drug direct them rather than recognizing that it is simply a tool. If you can take LSD and operate totally normal in any setting, then you not only will likely only have positive effects both in the long and near terms, but you will also likely be able to perform better in life in 10 years than most of the public who have simply been going through the motions since the beginning.

One thing to note: the most important thing is to stay rational. People in drug phases tend to believe all sorts of wacked out crap, and the smarter they are the deeper the hole. I have friends that haven't touched drugs in 10 years that have some wacko ideas, and the older they get the more those beliefs become ingrained into their personalities.