PDA

View Full Version : Cheap iBook vendors in Canada?

chucker
2005-09-25, 02:03
It looks like my iBook's hard drive is dying yet again (http://chucker.mystfans.com/2005/09/25/in-need-of-new-laptop.entry) (has been replaced twice already in the past years), and since I have no time to deal with this, I'll have to get a new laptop for the meantime. A Wintel laptop is not an option; I need to do OS X development amongst other things.

The most obvious choice is to get the lowest-end iBook now, then sell it off some time next year when PowerBooks have reached the point of satisfying me (a higher resolution, for example -- no "squintastic" debate please ;) ).

As I'm currently in Canada and really don't know much about the store situation here, I'm going to need some help on getting a cheap deal. Apple's online store seems to be rather expensive; $1249 doesn't even include tax. They also seem to have no refurbished store.

Does importing from a friend in the US save me any actual money? Is there a Mac-specific price comparison site for Canada and/or the US like the excellent German mac-kauf.de?

Finally, in Germany, used Macs usually are very high-priced and not worth buying. Is this different here in North America?

Thanks very, very much for any pointers!

Satchmo
2005-09-25, 08:04
Your best bet is probably going the refurbished option. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to get someone in the States to receive it and then ship it. But the savings is enough to offset the shipping costs (even better if you know of someone coming over the border).

A 12" iBook w/combo is currently available for $750. After exchange and shipping you're probably in around $900-950 (CDN$).
A slightly faster brand new retail one here in Canada will run you closer to $1450 after taxes.

That said, I did see a display model at my BestBuy selling for $950 (CDN$)...it had a missing key, but otherwise in great shape.
:)

chucker
2005-09-25, 13:39
That helps a lot, much appreciated! :)