PDA

View Full Version : Think Secret says new iPods Monday!

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 10:15
:eek:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/newipods.html

Well that was quick.

:)

I said, in that other thread, I thought they'd be here sooner rather than later (no real reason, just a hunch).

Also, read that part at the end of the above story: looks as though that info from the other day about purple, yellow and orange iPods might actually be referring to new colors for the iPod mini (which makes a hell of a lot more sense, really). Why **** up such a clean, iconic thing as the iPod by releasing it in colors no one is asking for, when it would work a lot better on the aluminum body of the iPod mini).

Glad to hear that's what seems to be shaking out...

I can imagine an orange, yellow or purple iPod mini (done in those muted, nice tones of the other colors) MUCH easier than those same colors on the plastic of the standard iPod!

:err:

[Edit: dipshit that I am, I just realized I could've tacked this on to my already-in-existence thread about ThinkSecret.com and new iPods. If some mod wants to merge this post into that other thread, my feelings won't be hurt. Sorry...]

torifile
2004-07-17, 10:44
I don't believe it. Apple's got a promotion running through the end of september (cram and jam).

thegelding
2004-07-17, 10:46
good idea getting them out so they get a run on the apple page and in the news and such for a month or more before the iMac release

give the iPod a month of press, then apple starts the leaks for a week or two leading up to aug 31st showing of new iMac G5

g

FFL
2004-07-17, 11:04
My, the NEWS travels fast this WEEK...

DMBand0026
2004-07-17, 11:40
I was wondering about the Cram and Jam promotion too. I don't know if TS is accurate about this. However, I really hope they are :)

LoCash
2004-07-17, 12:09
AppleNova says so too :) Check out front end. Boom.

Luca
2004-07-17, 12:14
AppleNova says so too :) Check out front end. Boom.
You, uh, really misspelled "report." I think you put "reoirt" or something.

jph1971
2004-07-17, 12:18
I'm wondering what else will be new besides the slimmer form and the click-wheel....

Anyways, I'm glad that the iconic-white stays as it is....

edit: spelling

LoCash
2004-07-17, 12:30
I had to pull the story. We'll republish it tomorrow morning. Source's request. :\

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 12:42
Awesome, if shocking news! :) :wow:

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 12:45
Apple will not announce the new models through a press event, though Think Secret has learned that the announcement will be delivered through an out-of-the-ordinary publicity medium.

What is this all about? :eek:

LoCash
2004-07-17, 12:53
Apple will not announce the new models through a press event, though Think Secret has learned that the announcement will be delivered through an out-of-the-ordinary publicity medium.

What is this all about? :eek:
Think Secret and Apple Nova will be publishing a collaborative story.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 12:54
I am guessing it will be announced through the iTunes Music Store!

thegelding
2004-07-17, 13:32
nahhh...SJ is currently in las vegas...he has hired the sony walkman bighead alien

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~mdr/sony_blue.jpg

and the napster mascot...

http://images2.deviantart.com/i/2004/03/3/8/Aqua_Napster.jpg

he plans to set them on fire and slide them down the outside of the luxor hotel

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/lasvegas/images/luxor.jpg

now that would be a fun promotion

g

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 13:34
You sir, are insane. :p

Luca
2004-07-17, 13:41
You sir, are insane. :p
So is Jobs!

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 13:43
So is Jobs!Jobs is insanely great, thegelding is clinically insane! :lol:

oldmacfan
2004-07-17, 16:00
I think it might come with insane new music on ITMS store, maybe Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Harrisons widow at a press announcement about the entire Beatles catalog being exclusive on ITMS and the Euro indies and the vast catalogs of out-of-print songs being made available by the big Five. And just for fun lets throw in M&M dropping his suit. Maybe, they will go crazy and have a bunch of other big names at the event that are not yet represented in the ITMS and they will do a "We are the world" type thing.

(Yes, this is entirely made-up-shit on my end, but can't an overgrown kid at heart dream.)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 16:10
Nothing to see here.

BRussell
2004-07-17, 16:31
My, the NEWS travels fast this WEEK...Hmm, why do I get the feeling there's some kind of secret message in here somewhere. It must be my wild imagination.

I'm going to get my secret decoder ring and work on the answer.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 16:32
What do you think the chances of this being one of the most popular, highly-purchased issues of that rag? :)

I've still got three pristine Time issues from two-and-a-half years ago, with Jobs and the iMac G4 on the cover.

I'll buy this Newsweek (two, in fact: one to read, one to store), as will most every other Mac person, hardcore or otherwise.

Probably the best thing to happen to Newsweek in ages. Just hope I can manage to find the iPod story amidst all the pages devoted to Iraqi prison abuse, John Edwards' "boyish appeal" and Martha Stewart's woes.

:rolleyes: :)

MacRGood4U
2004-07-17, 16:34
A bit of history. When the flat panel iMac was introduced at MacWorld there was a simultaneous unveiling on the cover of Time Magazine. If you remember the website in Canada accidentally posted the story on Sunday rather then on Monday as they were supposed to. Steve gave out copies of the magazine at the keynote (well, he didn't personally but they were available).

Oops. Similar post to Pscates. Great minds think alike i guess. :lol:

BRussell
2004-07-17, 16:49
What do you think the chances of this being one of the most popular, highly-purchased issues of that rag? :) I guess that depends on how big of an announcement it is. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why Newsweek would devote a big story to a simple increase in hard drive space/slight revision in looks to the ipod. That normally would barely merit a little blurb in the "New gadgets" section, wouldn't it? Could it be that this will be a more significant upgrade than the other ipod upgrades?

Luca
2004-07-17, 17:03
I'm pretty sure there will be SOMETHING more than JUST an iPod update tomorrow. I don't really know anything more than you guys (well, not MUCH more... *whistles*), but for Newsweek to devote a story to it, they'd have to do something more than just a design tweak on the iPods. There's going to be something else going on tomorrow, some kind of big announcement that merits a front-page story.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 17:03
I don't know. Normally, I'd agree...yeah, no big deal.

Maybe just the fact that the iPod has reached such a popular, mass appeal level and Newsweek felt like a new-generation/redesign of it warranted cover story status?

Probably as simple as that. I like the idea of it being the same size, only thinner. I think it's a great size to hold in your hand. But thinner/sleeker is almost always good. I'm most curious about the talk of the re-done scroll wheel. I'm sure they'll take on that of the iPod mini, right?

Leaves a lot of surface area with those four buttons missing... ;)

Larger screen, perhaps?

Maybe it's a long-awaited pPod (p = photo) and it somehow integrates with iPhoto (an update to iPhoto may be available on Monday too). Maybe there's a video-out port on it so you can show your photos on a TV or something? I don't know...just wild-ass guessing on my part, of course...

Could be exactly what I say at the start of this post: the iPod is such a huge, popular thing now...any redesign or overhaul to it merits trumpeting? At least in Newsweek's opinion?

I know this: I LOVE out-of-the-blue stuff like this. It's way more exciting than the slow build-up thing (the iMac, for instance) because as soon as you learn about it, it's announced a day or so later (not months). And I feel good about it all because, after all, it is Think Secret...very rarely blow smoke or miss big things. Meader and MOSR they're not...

;)

BTW, I will be at the Alpharetta (suburban Atlanta) Apple store tomorrow afternoon. I was going to see the displays and get my "Mac fix" for July/August (and eating lunch with my Dad), but now that I know this stuff is brewing, I'm going to make it a point to look around the store real good and see if I see ANY sign of something like this coming (some new signage, maybe clearing some older iPods out of the way, etc.).

I will make it a point to ask the highest-up employee I can find about the iPods, in an innocent way: "Yeah, I was thinking about getting one...I hear they're great. Are these white ones here good ones? Is that the kind I should get, over those little colored ones over there?"

And hope that prompts the person to go "well, uh...why don't you wait 24 more hours..." ;)

If I saw a brochure or ANY sort of literature/photo/promo lying around, I'll do my best to either snatch it or commit it to memory and post about it tomorrow evening.

:D

Didn't macrumors.com run a story (page 2, I think) about new iPod commercials recently being filmed? I suppose it's all coming together...

Luca
2004-07-17, 17:10
I don't know if Newsweek has already done a major article about the iPod yet. It seems that it's become so damn popular that every news outlet has to do at least one review and write-up on the iPod phenomenon. Maybe they chose now to do their major one, so even if it's a semi-minor update, they'll still put it on the front page.

I have to wonder though... with the whole iTMS/iPod situation remaining basically the same since the beginning of this year with the introduction of the mini, and with the sale of 100 million tracks to solidify the iTMS as the most popular online music store, you think Apple's going to give us a major surprise? I think it's highly likely. Unlike the situation with Macs these days (pessimism about the next iMac), I'm extremely optimistic about the future of the iPod. Apple's going to push this as hard as they can and pull out all the stops to make sure it remains the dominant player in this market. I don't have the same faith in their strategy towards the Macintosh.

One thing I do know is that just about everyone here will be reloading their forums and Apple.com front page about every 15 seconds ;). Anyone planning on driving out to the airport to pick up a copy of Newsweek the minute it hits the stands?

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 17:10
Maybe just the fact that the iPod has reached such a popular, mass appeal level and Newsweek felt like a new-generation/redesign of it warranted cover story status?

Thats what I think it is. The iPod is the most popular thing going right now in the music business (and the ITMS) that any major design change to the device would warrent a cover story. However I wouldnt be surprised if there was something more to the story than just the iPod. Maybe a brief history about where we were before the iPod and where we might be going.

BRussell
2004-07-17, 17:11
How about this - the iPod will get just a standard upgrade, with iPod mini-style scroll wheel and increased hard drive space. But Jobs has been talking a lot about going into the living room and the car, so maybe there will be some new functionality there. Maybe a new dock with wifi to go along with Airport Express. Or a new wireless remote.

iMeowbot
2004-07-17, 17:13
Or maybe they're writing up a bit more. They also hit the 100 million on the store, and Newsweek wouldn't have had much of a chance to hype it in the last issue.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 17:16
How about this - the iPod will get just a standard upgrade, with iPod mini-style scroll wheel and increased hard drive space. But Jobs has been talking a lot about going into the living room and the car, so maybe there will be some new functionality there. Maybe a new dock with wifi to go along with Airport Express. Or a new wireless remote.

Yeah, you're right. Jobs did say that they were working on "other automotive products" (or words to that effect). Maybe those (or some) get unveiled to.

"Put an iPod in Your Saturn". I'm SO there...

sCreeD
2004-07-17, 17:24
Newsweek's website is hosted on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032542/site/newsweek). :err: :\

Screed

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 17:26
Since it's a cultural phenomenon, there is reason enough to run a cover story.

MacRGood4U
2004-07-17, 17:29
I agree that there may not be revolutionary changes in the iPod other then a mini styyle scroll wheel (Patent pending for Apple), a thinner profile and higher capacity drive (and battery?). As stated above there's a lot to talk about concerning Apple's successful entry in the music biz. No doubt SJ will be a big part of the article. Perhaps he'll unveil that the independent labels have signed on to iTMS Europe as recently rumored. Newsweek on line, ironically, is part of MSNBC which is co-owned by M$. Small world, isn't it? :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 17:34
I'd like to see a leaked photo, dammit. :D

Clear this up for me, I'm confused: Apple's official announcement is Monday, right? But the actual Newsweek will be out TOMORROW (Sunday)?

Is this correct? Any certain time? In the afternoon, when it would truly make a difference or sometime after midnight, after I'm long gone to bed on a Sunday night?

I'll make it a point to stop by a couple of bookstores tomorrow, based on what answers I receive here...

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 17:37
I want to find out when these things arrive and when they go on sale. Monday morning, but at what time will they appear on stands?

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 17:45
It's Apple, so I'm gonna say early/mid October. :D

"Announcing today, and available in mid-October...we think it's the best thing we've ever done, and I think you'll agree".

You can just HEAR that in your head, can't you?

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 17:50
Ahh stop it PauL!

HOM
2004-07-17, 17:53
I'd like to see a leaked photo, dammit. :D

Clear this up for me, I'm confused: Apple's official announcement is Monday, right? But the actual Newsweek will be out TOMORROW (Sunday)?

Is this correct? Any certain time? In the afternoon, when it would truly make a difference or sometime after midnight, after I'm long gone to bed on a Sunday night?

I'll make it a point to stop by a couple of bookstores tomorrow, based on what answers I receive here...

According to the non existent .org article, it was going to hit Airports tomorrow, newsstands on Monday, and mailboxes on Tuesday.

I'm going to be in Penn Station tomorrow anyway so we'll see if Hudson News counts as an airport.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 17:56
Well surely by this time tomorrow, someone will have gotten a copy, scanned some pics of the cover and all, and post them here or other sites?

I can't be expected to wait until Monday, can I? Come on! :lol:

Eugene
2004-07-17, 18:05
My, the NEWS travels fast this WEEK...
Hush.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 18:20
Hush. :lol:

MacRGood4U
2004-07-17, 18:20
Newsweek and Time are usually delivered to train stations and airports late Sunday in the East about 8 to 10 PM. They arrive at newsstands the following morning (Monday). The Newsweek website most likely will be embargoed until the evening but the cat could be out of the bag sometime after 9 PM EDT or sooner on the website. It was the same scenario with the iMac when Time had it on the cover. Speaking about the cover, it's possible that it won't be the feature cover story but just an insert along the top. Bets are off however.

Quagmire
2004-07-17, 19:03
Here you guys are the newsweek cover and the new ipod.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040726_Issue/040717_COVER.320w.jpg

HOM
2004-07-17, 19:05
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040726_Issue/040717_COVER.320w.jpg

HOLY SHIT
HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 19:12
:lol:

mongrelcat
2004-07-17, 19:15
Whats so funny?

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 19:16
Why does Steve look like someone's weird pedophile uncle in that photo?

The iPod looks pretty much the same, just the new wheel, huh?

HOM
2004-07-17, 19:16
At this rate there aren't going to be a lot of magazines left for Apple to grace the cover of.

Time? Nope!

Newsweek? Nope!

National Enquirer? We'll see.

EDIT: My tiny screen reading skills being what they are, the iPod looks to have a different menu.

Playlist
Browse
Settings
Shuffle Songs
Backlight

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 19:20
Whats so funny?

I liked the build up.

Holy Shit

Holy Shit

Holy Shit

There goes all my money. What a beautiful looking iPod. The screen looks a lot clearer and brighter too. MMMMMmmmmmm....... new iPod

johnq
2004-07-17, 19:21

Do you need to talk about something that happened to you a long time ago? :lol:

I thought pedophile uncles looked like this: :smokey: or :o

I just see Jobs thinking "If these Newsweek fucks sneak out a copy of this pic before my announcement, heads will roll."

mongrelcat
2004-07-17, 19:22
I hope it has line-in for recording. Then I could ditch my minidisc. :)

Heimidal
2004-07-17, 19:22
These images can even be found in several sizes on Newsweek's website and all it took was changing the dates. Ridiculously funny as they botched up almost as badly as Time. :lol: :)

hobbit.2
2004-07-17, 19:23
Yeah, scary... :| If looks could kill the whole Newsweek readership would be wiped out... :D

The iPod looks pretty much the same, just the new wheel, huh?
What's with the gray color of the wheel? Or what is it? Why is it no longer white? Just some lighting issues?

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 19:23

That poor guy...jeez-louise! The worst luck EVER, keeping secrets (despite all the effort).

Time Canada. Workerbee. The idiot web guy and the G5 premature specification. ATi. Toshiba. Now Newsweek.

"Just ONCE...just f***ing ONCE, can I have a f***ing product that doesn't get f***ing leaked a day early by some stupid f***ing employee or newsmagazine?!?! I mean, come the f*** on, already!!! Son of a BITCH...who do I have to kill to keep something a f***ing secret?!?!?!"

:(

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 19:28
What's with the gray color of the wheel? Or what is it? Why is it no longer white? Just some lighting issues?

Maybe just some contrast? Now that it's like the iPod mini button, it needed to be darker to see the white symbols, since they're now on the dial? Heck, I don't know. I guess it could've stayed white. I'm sure there's a reason, and we'll probably know on Monday (or, at the rate things or going, by midnight tonight :D )

hobbit.2
2004-07-17, 19:30
My tiny screen reading skills being what they are, the iPod looks to have a different menu.

Playlist
Browse
Settings
Shuffle Songs
Backlight
To me it looks like:
Playlist
Extras
Settings
Shuffle Songs
Backlight

But aren't menus configurable? This iPod might not have the default menus.

Quagmire
2004-07-17, 19:30

HOLY SHIT
HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

It looks like it is a touchsensitive thing like the buttons on the current ipod. But, has the set up of the minis.

iMeowbot
2004-07-17, 19:39
But aren't menus configurable? This iPod might not have the default menus.
Yes, but the 3rd gen doesn't let you put shuffle into the top menu like that (and it's annoying to have to go into the settings to do it).

HOM
2004-07-17, 19:41
Teh Biggar!!!11!!ONE!!11

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040726_issue/040717_COVER.jpg

Music
Extras
Settings
Shuffle Songs
Backlight

EDIT: I gotta say that I love having shuffle right there at the top level of the menu. I hate having to navigate so many screens to turn shuffle on or off. I would love it even more if the iPod respected the iTunes shuffle settings, but c'mon, it's only been 2.5 years and Apple hasn't gotten around to that yet so I ain't holding my breath.

hobbit.2
2004-07-17, 19:43
Judging from the big picture:
Could the new scrollwheel be <shudder> aluminum? :eek:

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 19:47
Could very well be.

HOM
2004-07-17, 20:01
Ok, this was the excuse I needed.

I have to manually manage the tunes on my iPod now because it's too small to fit my entire collection.

Assuming that there a model larger than 40GB I'm there.

Anyone want to buy a 30GB iPod?

MacRGood4U
2004-07-17, 20:06
No it's not aluminum. It's a contrasting plastic. There's an electric current in there so that when you finger (or whatever you use on the scroll wheel) touches it completes a circuit and does things... or something to that effect. I beleive it is exactly the same size as the previous model. The wheel is slightly higher. If you lowered it, there would be room for the 4 buttons. More interesting will be exactly how thin it is and what the specs are. Tomorrow more info will leak out. I have yet to be able to access the complete cover story on the website. Has anybody done that?

hobbit.2
2004-07-17, 20:18
If not aluminum, my second guess would be the same plastic/finish as the PowerBook's trackpad. I still find it odd it's not white though. Just so they can differentiate it from the iPod mini's white clickwheel?

BrandonAllan
2004-07-17, 20:22
I think it's the same grey as on the earbuds.

Eugene
2004-07-17, 20:50
Judging from the big picture:
Could the new scrollwheel be <shudder> aluminum? :eek:
Not unless electro-static touchpad technology has changed...

torifile
2004-07-17, 21:03
It looks like the scrollwheel is backlit too.

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 21:04
In the Think Secret article, they say that their sources claimed there would be new, lower prices. I wonder if this might mean a downward shift for the entire iPod family, mini included? If the low-end white iPod is $299 and the iPod is $249, they couldn't lower the $299 much without stepping into the $249 range.

Unless, of course, they leave the low end at $299 ( :mad: ) and just knock $50 off the middle and high-end.

I'd LOVE part of Monday's announcement to be an across the board drop of $50 (at least): iPod mini now $199, low-end white now $249 and so on...

IF the part about "lower prices" is true AND those lower prices are applied across all models, the iPod mini would HAVE to drop in price, right?

Might take some of the sting out of how much the new iMac is going to suck and be overpriced again...

:D ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 21:11
The new iMac is not out, stop saying it will be such a dissapointment, gah! :p

Robo
2004-07-17, 21:11
Holy shit is right.

THIS is what I hang out at rumor sites for. :D

Luca
2004-07-17, 21:19
That scroll wheel definitely looks raised. Not aluminum though. So it must be the same design as the mini scroll wheel - they better not be touch-sensitive buttons or I'm not buying it.

I like my 2G iPod because I can control it entirely when it's in my pocket. Even the scroll wheel works because my pants are usually just thin enough that the heat from my finger can use the wheel to control the volume. But the headphone jack is breaking (or broken, depending on which headphones I use), so I might want to get a new one.

Then again, I won't really have the money :(

Maybe I'll just make do with mine until the headphone jack TOTALLY goes, and then buy a used/refurb/overstock of the first revision. I don't need over 15 GB anyway... in fact, my 10 GB even has room to spare, but I would always welcome a little extra space :).

stevegong
2004-07-17, 21:28
That scroll wheel definitely looks raised. Not aluminum though. So it must be the same design as the mini scroll wheel - they better not be touch-sensitive buttons or I'm not buying it.

I like my 2G iPod because I can control it entirely when it's in my pocket. Even the scroll wheel works because my pants are usually just thin enough that the heat from my finger can use the wheel to control the volume. But the headphone jack is breaking (or broken, depending on which headphones I use), so I might want to get a new one.

Then again, I won't really have the money :(

Maybe I'll just make do with mine until the headphone jack TOTALLY goes, and then buy a used/refurb/overstock of the first revision. I don't need over 15 GB anyway... in fact, my 10 GB even has room to spare, but I would always welcome a little extra space :).

If you compare that pic with existing 3G ipods, I'd say the scroll wheel is definitely not raised but rather sunken. It may or may not mean touch sensitive though.

Good thing I sold my mini last week.

Luca
2004-07-17, 21:33
It doesn't look sunken at all. Look at the lighting angle. It's coming from the upper left, if you look at how it falls on SJ's face. If it were sunken, there would be a little shadow in the upper left of the scroll wheel. If it were raised (like I say it is), the raised wheel would leave a shadow in the lower right, just like Steve's head.

Besides, why on earth would the wheel be sunken? It needs room to move in order to click, just like the mini. Having it sunken would make it take even more internal room rather than less. And with a device that small and thin, one or two mm will make a significant difference.

Robo
2004-07-17, 21:33
So, uh, if anyone wants to, uh, get rid of their current iPods, uh, I have an, uh, friend...who could give them a good home. :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-17, 21:39
In all seriousness, do you think stuff like this is somewhat planned. Or is it truly another massive ball-dropping, and Steve is currently fuming and kicking furniture?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Apple HQ right about now...

Can you imagine the next magazine that gets a big "new thing from Apple" access/interview/cover story? Steve needs to sit them down and just tell them, straight up:

"Okay, can you guarantee me you're NOT going to have the damn pictures on your servers anywhere TWO DAYS before we're planning to announce it? Time and Newsweek, as you know, kinda f***ed my deal up...what are YOU going to do to ensure this doesn't happen?"

Ryan
2004-07-17, 21:42
"Okay, can you guarantee me you're NOT going to have the damn pictures on your servers anywhere TWO DAYS before we're planning to announce it? Time and Newsweek, as you know, kinda f***ed my deal up...what are YOU going to do to ensure this doesn't happen?"

I think their first-borns should satisfy Steve. :D

Robo
2004-07-17, 21:43
I don't think Steve's fuming. I mean, at least I would hope not. I hope he understands that stuff like this is bound to happen sometimes...

And what's so bad about it happening? So it was "announced" early. Big whoop - we're probably more excited about it now then we would have been on Monday, becuase it's some insider secret information still and the like.

And aren't we supposed to be as excited as possible about stuff like this?

Besides, the issue would be at airports tomorrow anyway - it'd still be "early."

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 21:48
I don't think Steve's fuming. I mean, at least I would hope not. I hope he understands that stuff like this is bound to happen sometimes...

And what's so bad about it happening? So it was "announced" early. Big whoop - we're probably more excited about it now then we would have been on Monday, becuase it's some insider secret information still and the like.

And aren't we supposed to be as excited as possible about stuff like this?

Besides, the issue would be at airports tomorrow anyway - it'd still be "early."

I think that is the point, this way everyone is talking about it and it gets lots of free publicity. Who cares if it got out a day or two early. Everyone is going to or is already talking about the new iPod.

MacUsers
2004-07-17, 22:06
Man this is too cool... I wonder what other new features this iPod will be a featurin...

Hopefully it will have better battery life... you think the fact that it's not full on the cover means something? Some soft of sign... Steve's battery at 92% signifies something about the next iMac :p

Mac+
2004-07-17, 22:17
:sigh: no colour yet - darn it! ;)

Damn, I guess I'll just keep on waiting ... :rolleyes:

johnq
2004-07-17, 22:39
:sigh: no colour yet - darn it! ;)

Damn, I guess I'll just keep on waiting ... :rolleyes:

The video is on the back.

http://www.nullface.com/ai/jobs.jpg

http://www.nullface.com/ai/ipodAV.jpg

Mac+
2004-07-17, 22:49
:lol: ^ nice work! :D

onlyafterdark
2004-07-17, 22:59
Very nice work. How long did that take to do?

johnq
2004-07-17, 23:00
:lol: ^ nice work! :D

What do you think that empty space over his shoulder is for? They'll drop in the inset when it goes live. :)

The Mona Lisa smile is because he can see the back. ;)

(I'm kidding of course, I just like tweaking the iPod AV video proponents into feverish speculation mode)....

johnq
2004-07-17, 23:01
Very nice work. How long did that take to do?

Not sure, because I was eating a muffin and watching the Red Sox lose while I was doing it...about 2-5 minutes including FTP time?

What, should I have busted out Maya?

MacUsers
2004-07-17, 23:27
here's another pic.. that wheel is really grey/silver

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040726_issue/040717_IpodNew_vl.standard.jpg

Quagmire
2004-07-17, 23:31
here's another pic.. that wheel is really grey/silver

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040726_issue/040717_IpodNew_vl.standard.jpg

Meh. I am still going to buy even though the wheel looks ugly.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 23:40
Seeing any Apple product in digital picture form, never does it justice. Wait til you see it (after you buy it ;) before you say it's ugly. I learned my lesson on the iPod mini.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-17, 23:44
The article title is "iPod, therefore iAm" which is referring to the fact that if you have an iPod you are "in the cool crowd." That's what I think it means, anyway. The article is a chance to deliver the news to the world about the new model and it is a lifestyle/phenomenon piece about how the iPod has permeated society.

MacUsers
2004-07-17, 23:46
Note: Here is the article by the way:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5457432/site/newsweek/

Quagmire
2004-07-17, 23:47
I will buy it no matter what. I won't let one bad feature(if I still hate it when I go to the store) stop me from getting one.

Since you can't exactly bto the ipod is it worth it ordering it online or just go and buy it at the apple store?

MacUsers
2004-07-17, 23:51
Note: Here is the article by the way:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5457432/site/newsweek/

There arn't any specs though so don't get your hopes up.

MacUsers
2004-07-17, 23:59
That's interesting how the article just disappeared... oh well...
I'm still listening to the audio that was there.

Well OK, it's back up.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-18, 00:02
Ya it seemed to just end. Oh well, it was a fun build-up to that point. Cant wait til monday. :D

stevegong
2004-07-18, 00:07
It doesn't look sunken at all. Look at the lighting angle. It's coming from the upper left, if you look at how it falls on SJ's face. If it were sunken, there would be a little shadow in the upper left of the scroll wheel. If it were raised (like I say it is), the raised wheel would leave a shadow in the lower right, just like Steve's head.

Besides, why on earth would the wheel be sunken? It needs room to move in order to click, just like the mini. Having it sunken would make it take even more internal room rather than less. And with a device that small and thin, one or two mm will make a significant difference.

The reason why I think it's sunken is because the current ones are sunken.

Besides, the ipod mini's click wheel is not raised, I don't see any reason it sholud be raised and more logical it is sunken as it is sunken now.

We'll see in a few days, I sure hope it's sunken rather than raised.

Danielmaui
2004-07-18, 00:14
Thought I'd throw this in to keep everything lively :smokey:

http://www.flex.com/~daniel/pics/hPod.jpg

sCreeD
2004-07-18, 00:19
If you look at the really large image on page 2 of this thread (even the shot above), you can see that scroll wheel casts a shadow to the bottom right. It's raised.

Screed

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 00:24
Great article, not at all unfair to Apple.

johnq
2004-07-18, 00:33
If you look at the really large image on page 2 of this thread (even the shot above), you can see that scroll wheel casts a shadow to the bottom right. It's raised.

Screed

Sigh...

It is not raise, it is sunken. The plastic is clear and white from the inside.

The shadow you are seeing is as seen through clear plastic. It is the sunken hole a casting a shadow through the clear plastic. Same for the highlight at the top left. You're seeing the light as having come trough the clear plastic. Like how a piece of fiber optic lets light pass through.

Hell the current iPods look "raised" if the light is coming from the top left.

The convexity is an illusion.

stevegong
2004-07-18, 00:36

Screed

Well you see, the current 3G ipods also look like that because the shadow is cast on the translucent/transparent plastic just outside of the schroll wheel.

I am pretty certain it's not raised cause that would be just lame.

Anyone willing to make a bet with me? :D

Luca
2004-07-18, 01:04
LOL, this is hilarious, people arguing over whether the scroll wheel is sunken or raised from one picture!

Well, I'll say this much - saying that it makes sense to have it sunken in because that is how the current ones are makes no sense at all. The wheel design is DIFFERENT than the current one. Therefore, it doesn't MATTER what the current one is like because the new one could be anything.

Why don't you just look at an iPod mini? It's the same design; I would assume that if the mini's wheel is flush, then the new iPod's wheel will be flush as well. It is most definitely a click wheel. However, I've never seen or used an iPod mini in person so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Either way, looking at the design... I might just buy one and ditch my problematic one to a friend for really cheap. This one looks really slick. That would make it my fourth iPod, one of each generation. So far the best design is the 2G. Hopefully the 4G beats it.

Who wants to bet that there will be new features that are only available to fourth-generation iPod owners, just like how they cut off feature updates for second-generation iPods after the release of the 3G? *raises hand*

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 01:41
I'm buying, just sold my iPod mini for $225. :)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 01:55
The man who wrote the NewsWeek article is a Penn State graduate, (earned an M.A. in literature) pretty cool! Steven Levy wrote the definitive book on the Macintosh, "Insanely Great" and is the Senior Editor at NewsWeek.

billybobsky
2004-07-18, 02:34
there are an absurd number of penn state alums...

Robo
2004-07-18, 04:29
...and Newsweek is DOOOOOWWWNNN...

I wonder how many times that has happened before?

stevegong
2004-07-18, 04:40
LOL, this is hilarious, people arguing over whether the scroll wheel is sunken or raised from one picture!

Well, I'll say this much - saying that it makes sense to have it sunken in because that is how the current ones are makes no sense at all. The wheel design is DIFFERENT than the current one. Therefore, it doesn't MATTER what the current one is like because the new one could be anything.

Why don't you just look at an iPod mini? It's the same design; I would assume that if the mini's wheel is flush, then the new iPod's wheel will be flush as well. It is most definitely a click wheel. However, I've never seen or used an iPod mini in person so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Either way, looking at the design... I might just buy one and ditch my problematic one to a friend for really cheap. This one looks really slick. That would make it my fourth iPod, one of each generation. So far the best design is the 2G. Hopefully the 4G beats it.

Who wants to bet that there will be new features that are only available to fourth-generation iPod owners, just like how they cut off feature updates for second-generation iPods after the release of the 3G? *raises hand*

No, jsut think about it, it would be absolutely absurd and it would look really stupid to have a raised scroll wheel. Having it sunken also provides easier scroling meaning your fingerdoesn't slip off easily.

And the mini does NOT have raised scroll wheels. They are level with the ipod. Besides, how can you compare the two? they are fundamentally different materials and sport different looks.

But I'd say get rid of your current one even if it's just for size's sake.

Rumor Addict
2004-07-18, 04:48
What about this guys?

"Sources are also clarifying an apparent discrepancy with previous reports of an August revision; those reports may pertain to a separate iPod mini announcement rather than a replacement to the standard iPod line. Further details will be published as they become available."

The iPod mini has just been added to Apple Stores outside the US and wont be shipping till the end of July so I think it would be impossible that Apple get rid of that line in August. Perhaps the mini will go to a two tier line up with the new colors containing a larger drive and the old colors with the smaller existing drive? Perhaps they will be announced at the Apple Expo Paris which would be a nice tie in to the launch of iTunes Music Store in europe which I am sure S.Jobs will talk about at length during his keynote...

psmith2.0
2004-07-18, 06:11
I talk about this a couple of pages ago: I think it simply means the iPod mini is going to get the lovely colors of purple, yellow and orange(!) added to the existing five. That's all. And they'll sell REALLY well.

InactionMan
2004-07-18, 07:07
The first option is "Music", it used to be Playlists. Why would you need to specify Music unless you could store oodles of other shit on there? Seems pretty clear to me that the new iPod will be AV. Just plug it into your TV and watch you favourite slideshow or iMovie. Wheeeeeeeee!

And the wheel is neither sunken nor raised, it's flush.

iMeowbot
2004-07-18, 07:49
Thought I'd throw this in to keep everything lively :smokey:
http://homepage.mac.com/imeowbot/hpod.jpg

psmith2.0
2004-07-18, 08:09
Hot off the press (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/newipods3.html), so to speak, from Think Secret.

Pricing, configuration and new dimension info, straight from the Newsweek article.

In a nutshell:

- 1 mm thinner (ooooh! :D )
- $299 for 20GB, $399 for 40GB (15GB no longer offered...and no word on included accessories)
- New iPod mini-inspired clickwheel (obviously)
- No colors, still white
- 12-hour battery life (50% increase)
- Some new navigation features

noleli2
2004-07-18, 08:10
So now that we know (http://thinksecret.com/news/newipods3.html) the new iPods still only go up to 40GB, I wonder what all those 60GB drives were for....

iMeowbot
2004-07-18, 08:13
So now that we know (http://thinksecret.com/news/newipods3.html) the new iPods still only go up to 40GB, I wonder what all those 60GB drives were for....
They've dropped the low end model, so presumably it will appear in the fall at the old high-end price point.

oldmacfan
2004-07-18, 08:21
This is great Apple marketing, drop the price on the 20-40GB, get some huge sales and then release a 60GB. I think mini-price drop by November 15th.

Luca
2004-07-18, 10:03
Buy a new one on size alone? PAH. I already had a 3G that I swapped for a 2G (which unfortunately was a rip-off considering my 3G worked fine, I just didn't like using the touch buttons... the 2G is definitely semi-broken). Either one fits in my pocket so that doesn't matter at all.

But I would buy it for the battery life. It's not because I need to use it for twelve hours at a time... it's more because I would forget to hook it up once in a while and a 12-hour battery would allow me to forget once in a while and still have enough battery life.

No word on the high end, or extra accessories/features yet? I'm anxious!

k squared
2004-07-18, 10:09
Does anyone have an idea on what happens to the "Cram and Jam" promotion? I ordered a 15G iPod and 12" PB on Wednesday. The PB arrived Friday, but the iPod is set to ship on the 21st. They would upgrade that to a new iPod, would they?

evansls
2004-07-18, 10:17
hopefully this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the so called "lower" prices is total BS.

as reported on newsweek and thinksecret... "The 40GB unit will ship for $399 and the 20GB model will sell for $299, a $100 reduction in price. Apple is no longer selling a 15GB model."

the $500 price version will be the 60gb unit later this year. the new ipods are the exact same prices. if i was you, i would simply wait for the 60gb unit to drop than to think i'm actually saving any cash by buying a new one this week!

now, a real drop in price would be the 60gb for $400, 40gb for $300, and 20gb for $200. iPod mini well... $150/$100 from $250. now THAT is a saving... if you take it even further... the joke is really on apple, because everyone used the 15gb ipod to compare the size to the ipod mini when it launched and now with the new "price drops" people should really think about the new additional 5gb for the same $300 price! the new minis definitely need to be at least 10gb before i ever dream about owning one.

besides the extended battery life (which is a HUGE plus, but I've got used to it) and the size adjustment w/ scroll whell (big deal), well i'm a substance fan myself and honestly don't see a good reason just yet to shell another half grand for a new ipod. i just may with th 60gb unit, but i'm not holding my breath. (besides, we'll all get the new features with the latest firmware upgrade, so... they aren't really tooting my horn all too much.)

just my 2 cents...

HOM
2004-07-18, 10:35
hopefully this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the so called "lower" prices is total BS.

as reported on newsweek and thinksecret... "The 40GB unit will ship for $399 and the 20GB model will sell for $299, a $100 reduction in price. Apple is no longer selling a 15GB model."

the $500 price version will be the 60gb unit later this year. the new ipods are the exact same prices. if i was you, i would simply wait for the 60gb unit to drop than to think i'm actually saving any cash by buying a new one this week!

Don't know what you're smoking, but you want to hook a brother up?

:smokey:

Right now you buy a 40GB iPod for $499. Tomorrow the 4G iPod will be $100 less for the same storage. Seems like a price drop to me.

Perhpas you meant to say that the new iPod will be at the same price points as the old ones. This has been how Apple has updated the iPod since the inception.

now, a real drop in price would be the 60gb for $400, 40gb for $300, and 20gb for $200. iPod mini well... $150/$100 from $250. now THAT is a saving... if you take it even further... the joke is really on apple, because everyone used the 15gb ipod to compare the size to the ipod mini when it launched and now with the new "price drops" people should really think about the new additional 5gb for the same $300 price! the new minis definitely need to be at least 10gb before i ever dream about owning one.

No my friend the joke is directly on you. Every single iPod mini that has been made has been sold. It's so popular that Apple is not going to meet demand for it until next year, a full year after it was announced. Apple is selling more iPods now then they did in the Xmas quarter of last year. Why should Apple lower the price?

besides the extended battery life (which is a HUGE plus, but I've got used to it) and the size adjustment w/ scroll whell (big deal), well i'm a substance fan myself and honestly don't see a good reason just yet to shell another half grand for a new ipod. i just may with th 60gb unit, but i'm not holding my breath. (besides, we'll all get the new features with the latest firmware upgrade, so... they aren't really tooting my horn all too much.)

just my 2 cents...
You're not a substance fan, you're a Cheep Whinny Geek® that only sees devices in terms of bytes and dollars. Perhaps you should read the Newsweek article. It's about how the iPod is a cultural icon, a must have device, a life changing gadget. These aren't qualities that you can measure in bytes and dollars, but in emotional attachment.

psgamer0921
2004-07-18, 11:09
New Picture

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3227903812491981.JPG
For the raised/even/lower argument, it really looks raised

MacUsers
2004-07-18, 11:10
It's a fake...

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 11:33
It is not raised, it is just like the mini.

http://www.spymac.com/upload/gallery/f_0/user_117/medium/upload_200466.jpg Even if it is fake, here's a bigger photo.

HOM
2004-07-18, 11:40
Ok, I got a question that maybe a mini owner can answer.

How do you restart it when it crashes?

On all non mini iPods a restart is performed by holding the play/pause and menu buttons at the same time. But how can you do that with the click wheel?

:confused:

iMeowbot
2004-07-18, 11:48
On all non mini iPods a restart is performed by holding the play/pause and menu buttons at the same time. But how can you do that with the click wheel?
Hold down menu and the middle button. You might have to toggle the hold switch on/off first.

DMBand0026
2004-07-18, 12:31
Oh geez...I had this all planned out, now I'm confused. I guess I'm gonna end up with a 40GB, even though I don't need that much. But I can use it for storage and whatnot. But 40GB for the price of today's 20. Can't go wrong with that :)

And 12 hour battery...:drool:

I'm a happy guy :D

Unbeliever
2004-07-18, 12:53
do u guys think 3G will get a new updated firmware?
i`m going to have to sell my 15giger if they don`t update the firmware.
+ i think a lot of pple would be pissed off

Brad
2004-07-18, 13:09
i`m going to have to sell my 15giger if they don`t update the firmware.
+ i think a lot of pple would be pissed offWhy? What's wrong with it now?

Or are you just begging for new features? If that's the case, just say so. People shouldn't expect to get a stream of free updates with new features for the iPod. When you buy a TV do you demand free updates for its software from the manufacturer to add new features?

DMBand0026
2004-07-18, 13:20
Exactly. And some features (12 hour battery life) can't be updated by firmware upgrade. If you want new features, get the new product.

And pissed off people are to be expected with every product upgrade. That's just the way people are :\ You know someone is gonna come on here ranting, "I bought my iPod ONE YEAR AGO and now they upgraded, I'm so pissed, Apple should send me a new one...blah blah blah." Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get the heck over it.

Moogs
2004-07-18, 14:32
Hmm. Might be in line for one of those 20GB models. They look pretty nice and the price drop helps more than anything in my case. As far as new functions and all that, why mess with success? As long as the existing functions are refined a bit more and maybe some slight modifications to the menuing system here and there... it's perfect. I know Mac users love their gizmo features but sometimes simplicity is better.

Quagmire
2004-07-18, 14:42
And pissed off people are to be expected with every product upgrade. That's just the way people are :\ You know someone is gonna come on here ranting, "I bought my iPod ONE YEAR AGO and now they upgraded, I'm so pissed, Apple should send me a new one...blah blah blah." Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get the heck over it.

I was pissed that the powerbooks were upgraded 3 months after buying mine. But, I kept on saying to myself there is always going to be something better. Those people who say I bought my ipod one year ago should look up the ipods update cycle. The cycle is one year. For the people saying are they going to release firmware upgrades to the old ipods. That is bad marketing. If apple did that alot of people would be sticking with their current ipods since they are almost the same to the 4g ipod since they have the same firmware on it and the only 2 features those people will be losing by those firmware updates is the better battery lif and click wheel. Alot of people could live with that.

Moogs
2004-07-18, 15:36
At this point in the game, anyone who is dismayed or hurt or angered by their product being replaced by something better (and at the same or slightly reduced price), has their head in the sand. Apple is a technology company; technologies are constantly evolving and becoming cheaper to deploy / manufacture. Apple is in the personal computing segment of the technology industry. Other than cell phones, there is no segment that evolves and grows more quickly.

IF YOUR PRODUCT STAYS ON TOP FOR EVEN SIX MONTHS, YOU ARE LUCKY. If it doesn't your case is typical. Get over it, as noted above.

:err:

MacRGood4U
2004-07-18, 15:50
A 60 GB is no doubt coming. Toshiba just announced they were commencing production on them last month. Ramping up takes time. So those of you who must have 15,000 songs at the ready - after all you need to listen to all of them in a day, you will be able to get one for $499 (probably - no such word as "prolly").
I have an iPod mini and the edges of the scroll wheel are slightly raised. It is not metal but plastic as the new iPod would have to be because as previously stated it uses electrostatic current. The only question is whether the variable speed capability is only for spoken word (taking books) or/and for music too. We'll know tomorrow.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 16:13
Wouldnt the variable speed control really mess up the music, if you set it to a quicker speed for a song? Why would anyone want to do that? It's just meant for the Audio Books so the cadence is sped up, and is not annoyingly slow. Right?

ThunderPoit
2004-07-18, 16:17
if i remember right, the 1 & 2G ipods ran a different os than the 3g ipods, and because of that fundamental difference, updating the old ones w/ the 3g firmware would have been more trouble than it was worth. assuming that the software on the new ipods is just an updated version of what is on the 3g ipods, its not too unreasonable to think apple may release an update for the rest of us as well.

Robo
2004-07-18, 16:34
The iPod mini is even less of a bargain now. Yeah, I think it's feasable that it might get an update or a price drop in the near future (wouldn't go so far as to say "soon" - and yes, I'm aware that the iPod mini is just now available in Europe.)

I mean, they are (rumored to be) introducing new colors to the lineup. Maybe they'll bump it to, say, 6 or 8 GB?

Someone else mentioned Apple Paris - that seems too soon...but then again, MWSF just sorta seems far away, especially if the new iPod mini colors are already being rumored (although it would fit in with the traditional 1-year product cycle).

So maybe we'll see the new colors and a price drop to $199...though I sorta doubt it. I mean, they're selling extremely well, even at the "outrageous" $249.

But why the heck am I rambling on about the new iPod minis? A new iPod was just "announced"! The 4G iPod is really cool, especially with the new lowered prices. I, too, think we'll see a 60GB model before too long.

Unbeliever
2004-07-18, 17:39
don`t get me wrong guys
i`m not bitching about firmware
i know Apple does what it does for money and i`m ok with it
i`m just asking cause it doesn`t look like too hard to update the firmware on 3G for longer battery life
from what i know Apple did that with firmware for 2g (i think it was version 1.2)

HOM
2004-07-18, 17:44
Speaking of which, the audio supplement to the Newsweek article talks about how the battery is the exact same one, but the better play time is achieved through conservation.

Danielmaui
2004-07-18, 17:46
A new hidden feature is voice activation. Just press and hold the center button and say "Play THE REASON" and it begins to play that tune from Hoobastank. Say "Play Album THE REASON" and it begins to play the entire album. Say "Play-list DANCE" and it plays your "Dance" playlist. Press and hold while saying Stop, Next, Previous, Skip, First, Last, etc, and you get what you ask for. Allows the option to NOT require the hold button to be in "on" mode since you must be holding the center button anyway. Commands recorded and applied via iTunes.

Unbeliever
2004-07-18, 17:55
Speaking of which, the audio supplement to the Newsweek article talks about how the battery is the exact same one, but the better play time is achieved through conservation.
that`s excatly why i asked about 3G firmware

Moogs
2004-07-18, 17:57
I wonder if 10.3.5 will carry with it some new stuff for the new iPods. They seem to be coinciding pretty well, and as we all know announcemen != shipping. Maybe we'll have both in early August.

iMeowbot
2004-07-18, 17:59
i`m just asking cause it doesn`t look like too hard to update the firmware on 3G for longer battery life
from what i know Apple did that with firmware for 2g (i think it was version 1.2)
It might not be software-only improvements. If individual components are powered down when not needed, older iPods may not have the circuitry in place to do that. There could be a different type of memory in the new model too, and so on.

Mac+
2004-07-18, 18:29
Danielmaui If you're not shitting me then that is a great feature!

I recently completed a project which requried a redesign of an "in car" sat-nav system. Data input was a major problem. But with the iPod's address book sync features and the scroll wheel navigation, I proposed a Bluetooth enabled iPod or similar PDA device could synchronise with the sat-nav system to allow the driver to enter an address without having to grapple with a cumbersome remote and single letter data entry. Voice activation would further enhance this concept!

Of course, this idea really only works if the contact is already in your address book b/c then the iPod just pulls up the details and the sat-nav system grabs it off the iPod (or other appropriate PDA).

Anyway: voice activation - if it exists - very cool. :cool:
... and further extension to the iPod's usefuleness - even cooler. (especially Bluetooth capabilities and a colour screen - hello is anybody listening?) ;)

HOM
2004-07-18, 18:40
There's no voice navigation on the new iPods. If there was don't you think it would have been highly touted as a 'breakthrough' in the Newsweek article?

:no:

Mac+
2004-07-18, 18:44
I'll just add it to my wish list then. ;)

stevegong
2004-07-18, 18:53
New Picture

For the raised/even/lower argument, it really looks raised

http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/wulffman/shape_pics/cube.gif

Tell me, is this raised or sunken?

Luca
2004-07-18, 19:06
Tell me, is this raised or sunken?

SHUT UP. Can't you tell it's the same as the iPod mini? You of all people should know, after all, you owned one!

Besides, we finished the argument a while ago. Quit bringing it back up.

matt
2004-07-18, 19:18
is that issue available on new stands today? or next Sunday, since its the July 26th issue?

stevegong
2004-07-18, 19:31
SHUT UP. Can't you tell it's the same as the iPod mini? You of all people should know, after all, you owned one!

Besides, we finished the argument a while ago. Quit bringing it back up.

hey, chill. I can't see the larger pic posted by Messiahtosh so I didn't know you've decided on that already.

Brad
2004-07-18, 19:44
is that issue available on new stands today? or next Sunday, since its the July 26th issue?In airports today. At regular newsstands tomorrow.

Luca
2004-07-18, 19:54
hey, chill. I can't see the larger pic posted by Messiahtosh so I didn't know you've decided on that already.
You're right, that was overly harsh... on the other hand, we didn't come to that conclusion based on the picture, we decided it was probably the same as the iPod mini since it looks exactly the same. Also, you could have read the parts of the thread that you missed, which would have revealed to you that we had stopped discussing the issue.

psmith2.0
2004-07-18, 20:15
Can't wait to see Apple's updated site tomorrow. And I bet we'll start seeing the new commercials tomorrow too.

I asked two employees at Alpharetta today. One just smiled and said nothing and the other actually talked a bit about it, but was purposely playing a bit dumb and out of the loop.

"Well, I think you'll see something about it tomorrow..."

"Oh really? Hmmm...I'd heard some things. Interesting."

"Yeah, seems the info kinda got leaked yesterday. Your boss is gonna be on the cover of Newsweek tomorrow, posing with it."

"Hmm. Yeah, we haven't received anything and I don't know until it comes into inventory..." (sly smile the entire time and REALLY bad job at playing dumb) :D

"Nudge, nudge...wink, wink...say no more".

Stopped short of asking if his wife was a goer. ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 20:31
I'll pick up a Newsweek and an iPod tomorrow. ;)

onlyafterdark
2004-07-18, 20:45
Me too! :D

psmith2.0
2004-07-18, 20:55
Eh. I'm totally happy with my 15GB model (I only have about 9.5GB filled, so capacity is not even an issue). And I can't justify going through the hassle of getting rid of mine, just to get one with a new button/wheel design.

Those of you waiting for a new one, or cheaper models and so forth, I'm genuinely happy as a clam for you. You're getting a great model at a great, new price. And I dig the scroll wheel thing where everything is accessible in one spot.

But again, that's just not enough for me to fool with. I'll keep my 15GB until the mini's come out in orange and hit 10GB...then I'll give my Dad my 15GB and "downgrade" to a spiffy burnt-orange mini.

I am wondering something: does everyone think these new 20 and 40GB models tomorrow will both come with the dock, remote and carrying case?

Remember, the previous "low end" model (the $299 15GB, like mine) didn't come with those three things. SURELY they're not going to continue leaving those off? I didn't mind not having a case or the remote, but I plunked down $39 at Target for the Dock.

Quagmire
2004-07-18, 21:04
E

I am wondering something: does everyone think these new 20 and 40GB models tomorrow will both come with the dock, remote and carrying case?

Remember, the previous "low end" model (the $299 15GB, like mine) didn't come with those three things. SURELY they're not going to continue leaving those off? I didn't mind not having a case or the remote, but I plunked down $39 at Target for the Dock.

I am hoping to that the new low end will have the dock,case, and remote included. Don't make me spend another $100 for the 40 GB ipod. With the 40 GB it will take me intill college to fill that thing up. But, on the other hand, I could put some important stuff on my ipod to keep it as a back up HD for my powerbook.

InactionMan
2004-07-18, 21:05
I'm getting one of the new ones. Giving my old 3G to my girlfriend. Yeee-hAww!

Yeah, I think they'll both come with the dock and remote and crap. At least I hope the 20 comes with all that crap.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-18, 21:06
Ya I think that they will both have all of the accesories they used to. I think that the mini will be the one that will take the place of the 15Gig wrt the accesories. I never thought it made sense for the low model to be missing the dock, remote, case in the first place.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 21:18
It will be awesome if the 299 model does come with everything (the model I'm getting). :D

MCQ
2004-07-18, 21:34
One weekend in Chicago and I come back to see this. Nice surprise :)

Good update for Apple, especially the price cut. Great time for the education buyers with the notebook + iPod promo. I'd normally think that this larger difference between iPod mini hd size and iPod hd size may be a problem, but it seems like the mini is doing just fine.

Go sell 1 million+ iPods Apple!

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 22:32
Credit card in hand, ready to go!!! :)

Gonna be a long night. ;)

onlyafterdark
2004-07-18, 22:34
It is going to be a very long night. Man I love this. :D My first iPod. Im so excited!

Messiahtosh
2004-07-18, 22:57
I'm so excited I decided to do some concepts of laser engravings that would not ruin the resale value, so here they are. LOL

Oldie but a goodie http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F2FF1B9DD93611D8.jpg

Thought this was kinda funny http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F2FFB67AD93611D8.jpg

Should say "the 3G iPod killer" but you get the idea http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F3004AD5D93611D8.jpg

A lyric from my favorite song "Mekong" http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F300E234D93611D8.jpg

I could resell it at PSU ;) http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F301854AD93611D8.jpg

Kinda funny, but no http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-07-18%2020.52.28%20-0700/Image-F30221B2D93611D8.jpg

ThunderPoit
2004-07-18, 22:58
so... can anyone tell me how to pop open my 30gig to disconnect the battery and get a replacement from best buy once the new ones are in stores?? ;)

stevegong
2004-07-19, 00:27
so... can anyone tell me how to pop open my 30gig to disconnect the battery and get a replacement from best buy once the new ones are in stores?? ;)

It's hard to make it unnoticible when opening it. I would throw it in some water while it's playing and then dry it off. That way it's pretty hard for them to see you tinkered. :D

ThunderPoit
2004-07-19, 01:26
nah, that wouldnt work, i used to work at one of their service centers, they are very quick to catch water damage. but i do know that they dont open ipods when servicing them

alcimedes
2004-07-19, 01:44
emp pulse it.

stevegong
2004-07-19, 02:02
nah, that wouldnt work, i used to work at one of their service centers, they are very quick to catch water damage. but i do know that they dont open ipods when servicing them

?? :confused: how do you tell it has water damage if you don't open it? :confused:

FFL
2004-07-19, 02:30
Perhaps we need a new thread - "How to commit the Perfect Murder of an iPod"

curiousuburb
2004-07-19, 03:05
"Out, damned iSpot! Out! I say!"

applenut
2004-07-19, 03:14
?? :confused: how do you tell it has water damage if you don't open it? :confused:

water damage fucks up things like the buttons and screen and things become corroded.

i know, i just flipped in a kayak with my cell phone and canon digital camera.....sigh

stevegong
2004-07-19, 03:19
water damage fucks up things like the buttons and screen and things become corroded.

i know, i just flipped in a kayak with my cell phone and canon digital camera.....sigh

not if you wash off the residues with distilled water and leave it to completely dry off. Sometimes blowdriers work too.

(distilled water doesn't leave those marks)

Applenut, try soaking your equipment with the battery taken out for a day or two in distilled water, and then fully dry them. Some equipment have protection mechanisms which doesn't short out the machine.

DMBand0026
2004-07-19, 03:35
Perhaps we need a new thread - "How to commit the Perfect Murder of an iPod"

Pop that sucker in the microwave on high power for a few seconds, it'll fry your screen faster than you can say 4G iPod ;)

stevegong
2004-07-19, 04:58
Pop that sucker in the microwave on high power for a few seconds, it'll fry your screen faster than you can say 4G iPod ;)

ummmm... that's not our goal...

ast3r3x
2004-07-19, 06:00
emp pulse it.

:lol:

This would be perfect except for the fact, it MAY smell like burnt electronics ;)

If anyone wants the plans to an emp...well you know how to get in contact with me.

HOM
2004-07-19, 06:43
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/xyz122/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/welcome.gif

Here we go boys and girls.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 06:50
:::Shiver:::

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 07:25
Woohoo... come on... update faster... now their just stalling on purpose.

thegelding
2004-07-19, 07:34
Woohoo... come on... update faster... now their just stalling on purpose.

i agree...how long can it take to update the site?? they had to have all the pages ready before hand...just change a couple of links and boom, new pages up....

apple just want to see how many hits the store gets at 6 am from the mac geeks

so far 4 hits from me...and i have a 3g iPod and am not currently even in the market to buy one (since mine suits me just fine)

i am a loser :o

g

thegelding
2004-07-19, 07:36
back up with my 5th hit

g

ast3r3x
2004-07-19, 07:37
I think the new iPod looks real good.

Maybe some of the money I made off my baccalaureate DVD's goes to 20GB iPod?

Besides the fact, I crave one of those new fancies, these are some nice features Ithat really might make me purchase it...

•Create multiple On-The-Go playlists

•Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists

Anyone want to buy my 10GB 3G? :p

thegelding
2004-07-19, 07:39
iPod software 3.0 info here (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/)

seems they are updating for all iPods

need to read more.

g

ok, my 3g iPod goes to version 2.2 will see what it offers today, but not now, work calls

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 07:41
iPod w/Click Wheel (20GB) - Personalized
P9282LL/A
1-3 bus.days
$269.00
$269.00

We are
Penn State!

Subtotal:
$269.00

Shipping Charge:
$0.00

Estimated Tax :
$16.14

Estimated Total:
$285.14
------
Woohoo! :)

MacUsers
2004-07-19, 07:44
Shuffle Songs at your Fingertips is a key feature... heh. I guess it's cool but is it that cool.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-19, 07:46
It's the music, stupid. :D

thegelding
2004-07-19, 07:49
iPod w/Click Wheel (20GB) - Personalized

Estimated Total:
$285.14
------
Woohoo! :)

f@ck ... guess i will be buying one...i am steve jobs bitch for sure, thegelding sez as he looks at his iMac FP with the iSight on top and the new airport express and the iPod 3g charging next to the airport basestation that is now disconnected and waiting for its return call to outerspace

g

though i might still go for a mini...nice size for bike riding and running

BrandonAllan
2004-07-19, 07:49
Looks like the 20GB doesn't come with the dock, remote or carrying case. They both now include a USB 2 cable though.

My 20GB is going in for a warranty repair. I wonder if they will send a new one.

Brad
2004-07-19, 07:53
As with all good Future Hardware/Speculation threads, the present has caught up to the future and it's here today. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to discuss this in the Apple Products forum.

Cheers! :)