PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive question...have I forgotten anything?

lumpy
2005-09-27, 15:41
Hey folks - I've been reading these boards for the past few weeks, and it has been a tremendous help. I've been reading all sorts of hard drive purchase advice, and want to double check my plans before buying one.

In my house I have an old PC that still does what I need it to do, namely downloading large audio files (.flac, .shn files), and burning them. In addition, there is a brand new ibook 12" that my girlfriend just bought. We want to have an external hard drive to store all of our music/photo files on, so that we can both access them. We'd also use the drive for backups.

I'm thinking 300GB, Seagate, Firewire/USB 2.0...and I was thinking internal plus box, but Fry's has a 300GB External Seagate with Firewire/USB, 7200 RPM 8MB cache for 150 after rebate.

That sounds like a great deal and problem free for my uses right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or have overlooked an issue.

alcimedes
2005-09-27, 15:46
Welcome to AppleNova.

Sounds like you did your research, and I can't see anything wrong with that setup. One question though, what OS is that old PC running? I'm not sure that Win98 can see drives that are over 128GB, although that might only be if they're internal.

FFL
2005-09-27, 15:47
the only issue I can think of is, you'll need to use FAT-32 format for the drive so you can both read and write

Ghostnine
2005-09-28, 02:26
Welcome to AppleNova.

Sounds like you did your research, and I can't see anything wrong with that setup. One question though, what OS is that old PC running? I'm not sure that Win98 can see drives that are over 128GB, although that might only be if they're internal.

well, what could be worse is that old BIOS can't see past 32GB...