PDA

View Full Version : how strict is apple's return policy?

padraig946
2005-09-27, 18:51
I bought a mac mini today, and now I found out that they are bringing out an upgrade this week. My receipt says that I can return an opened item for an identical item within 14 days, but do you think they will let me exchange my computer for an upgraded one?

Brad
2005-09-27, 18:54
Well, regarding refunds, you can only return unopened items during that period for a full refund. If you opened it, you can return it but you have to pay an exorbitant restocking fee or a couple hundred dollars.

I seriously doubt they'll just had you a new Mac to replace your old one. Though, I have no personal experience with this. Let this be a lesson to do lots of research before buying something as expensive as a computer.

FFL
2005-09-27, 18:58
Generally, restocking fees are not charged when an item is exchanged. It helps if you can repackage it as pristinely as possible, so don't throw away any of the packing.

Cross your fingers that the rumored upgrade happens within the 14 day window.

padraig946
2005-09-27, 19:05
Generally, restocking fees are not charged when an item is exchanged. It helps if you can repackage it as pristinely as possible, so don't throw away any of the packing.

Cross your fingers that the rumored upgrade happens within the 14 day window.
^are you talking about apple specifically, or just with stores in general?

FFL
2005-09-27, 19:10
because of the 14 day policy you mentioned, I assumed you were referring to Apple Retail specifically, and that's what I was referring to.

kscherer
2005-09-27, 19:19
I bought a mac mini today, and now I found out that they are bringing out an upgrade this week. My receipt says that I can return an opened item for an identical item within 14 days, but do you think they will let me exchange my computer for an upgraded one?
If you got it from a reseller, your going to get nailed with a 15% restocking fee simply because you opened the box.

If you got it from Apple Online, you'll be hard-pressed to get a return at all, unless you can demonstrate the computer has a defect. If from an Apple retail store, be prepared for the restocking fee.

padraig946
2005-09-27, 19:26
I got it from the apple store in Chicago.

FFL
2005-09-27, 19:34
I can't say for sure that they will exchange it without restocking fee, but I'd be willing to give it a try if I was in your situation. Politely ask to speak to a manager if the first attempt is denied. Don't forget to bring your receipt.

padraig946
2005-09-27, 22:09
Ok, I'm going to call in the morning to see if they have the new models, then try and exchange it. Do you guys think it would be worth the $50 if it comes to that, or would I be better off keeping the model I have.

geneman
2005-09-27, 22:12
The new mini is not technically released yet, so calling them tomorrow probably wont do you much good. Wait till they're officially released (which incidentally could be tomorrow :))

benkraft
2005-09-28, 00:24
You might want to check out this link at ThinkSecret: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509macmini2.html

One week after Think Secret first brought word of pending Mac mini revision, the new models have started arriving.
[...]
UPDATE: Sources have informed Think Secret that Mac mini box labels will continue to list the older specifications with no indication of whether the newer or older systems are contained within. The motivation behind this is to help clear current inventory without lowering prices. Essentially, customers are promised that the Mac mini they purchase will have specifications "at least" equal to the label, but that their system may exceed those. Customers who purchase a new Mac mini to find they ended up with the older configuration will not be able to return the system in the hopes of getting the newer configuration without paying a restocking fee.

(my emphasis)

Sorry... :o

padraig946
2005-09-28, 11:14
You might want to check out this link at ThinkSecret: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509macmini2.html

(my emphasis)

Sorry... :o
ok, thanks for clearing that up.

padraig946
2005-10-10, 19:19
I decided to wait until today to try and exchange it, because I figured that there would be a better chance of me getting an upgraded model. I went down to the store this morning with my re-packaged mini and explained my situation to one of the employees. He got the assistant manager, Tony, to help me out.

Not only did he not charge me for a restocking fee, but he brought out the new box and set it up in the store using a display monitor and keyboard. It turned out that this was also an old model mini, and so he extended my receipt by another 30 days, and he said that I could exchange it for a new model once Apple officially announces it.

I've never seen customer service like that at any other store. This is the third time I've had a problem with an apple product, and the store has replaced it for no charge (first for an iPod that skipped, then an iPod case that was the wrong size). This whole thing reflects pretty poorly on Apple's products, but really damn well on their Chicago store. I can't imagine buying another computer product somewhere else.