View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-12-22, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Wait, I won? o.o

Wooo! Thanks y'all. GSpotter, I did try a bunch of different shutter speeds to get more motion blur outside the target, but in every case the car I was shooting was also fairly blurry. I wasn't able to match my panning speed to the car's speed quite right so the only way I was able to get a clear shot like the above was to up the shutter speed.

Also, the above shot was very nearly the only shot I took out of about a hundred that was completely in focus. I have no experience with pro level cameras vs my camera, a Canon T2i, and I thought that maybe my camera's ability to focus quickly on a moving target in rapid fire mode is just not good enough to get consistently well-focused pictures on fast targets. For reference, at that part of the track the cars are going around 80, up to maybe 100 MPH.

So I have no idea if I could get better pictures like this simply by getting a vastly better full frame camera (with a better/faster AF system) like you guys use or not. I don't know how much of it is just me doing it wrong vs. the limitations of my camera. I'll post some of the other pics I took from the same day and you can see what I mean.

Anyway, question about the next challenge - would you guys like to go ahead with a new one, or wait until after the holidays?
The T2i's centre AF point should be good enough (make sure you are in continuous focus mode, not sure what Canon calls that) You want your shutter speed to be around 1/60s and pan with the car, but it will take a lot of practice to get it right.