View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-12-05, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I witness the tech unsavvy using computer every day. Mac OS X is still far more intuitive than Windows 10. iOS moreso in ways. I see no reason to buy a Windows PC other than gaming. If I need to run any other Windows-specific software, that's what VMs are for.
If the tech support I'm asked to do for free these days for Mac OSX users is any indication, Apple still has a long way to go. Better than Windows? 75% in that area. Thing is, I'm not tech unsavvy, nor is every Mac user. Apple needs to realize that yes, not every user is a total noob that needs their hand held. At the very least there should be a way (heck I'd pay $10) to unlock the features Apple has slowly been taking away from users for the past 3-5 years. I'd pay $199-299 for a new version of Aperture too. But no, Apple only cares about the lowest common denominator it seems. At least Windows gives you some options for how dumb you want it to be.

I would not switch to Windows for specific software, so a VM is useless. I would switch because Apple simply will not offer the hardware I need, in a way that best meets my needs. The days of an affordable headless iMac (aka the entry level G4 towers) are long behind us, and man do I miss that class machine for it's flexibility and expandability. The old Mac Pro style case with a consumer Core i7 CPU would have been great machine for me, but that system never existed. I have no need for banks of thunderbolt drives, so the new design is not just out of my budget for a computer, it also does not offer what it has in the way I need it. To me the Mac Pro is an overpriced show piece for your desktop (unless you really need a 8 core system), I don't need a show piece, I need something to get the work I need done for under $2k. Apple simply doesn't offer that in this market (aka Canada) anymore.