View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-12, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, I thought I would've been more dazzled and "ohmigosh!" with it, but it was more of a "hmm, I guess that's kinda cool sometimes...". Not exactly a glowing, over-the-top reaction. It probably could - and will - become more over time. isn't that Apple's approach? Out of the gate with some basic functions, then improve/add to over time to where, at some point down the road, it's just "there" and you don't remember what things were like before it? Being software-based, like that first iPhone screen, the sky is the limit. The size/shape is probably more of a limit than anything, but, in theory, anything could be put there. It just has to be smart and make sense...and sometimes, these days, that's a coin-toss or a whole other discussion.
Well, if we're gonna compare to the iPhone: the Touch Bar was introduced in October 2016, so a little over three years ago. In iPhone terms, that would make it March 2010. A few months from now, iOS 4 and the iPhone 4 get introduced. Software-wise, since iPhoneOS 1.0, stuff like better enterprise support (Exchange, VPN, …), the App Store, copy & paste, etc. has happened. Hardware-wise, the phone has gotten much, much faster, and its camera now does video. And soon, iOS 4 will add multitasking. Hardware-wise, iPhone 4 adds the Retina Display, a front-facing camera, and much more.

Huge leaps in three years.

What has happened with the Touch Bar? Not nothing, but also frankly not that much. 10.14(?) added Quick Actions that relate to the Touch Bar, and in 10.15, Sidecar sort of adds the Touch Bar to all Macs (as long as you also have an iPad). Hardware-wise, the physical escape key is back. That's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I figured both the Touch Bar and illuminated keys would've made it to the standalone desktop keyboards ages ago.
Right?

They just introduced a new keyboard on the Mac Pro (well, really just a different color finish), and it's still unchanged.

What frustrates me is that it's not entirely clear to me if they believe in the Touch Bar. Do they think it's good enough as it is (I still haven't used it personally, but I'm fairly certainly it's not quite 100% the way there)? Are they waiting for some third-party miracle killer app (third parties are probably in turn waiting to see what Apple does!)? Is there a big update coming, maybe with the next iMac?