View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-24, 20:21

All right, so we all know the man - a.k.a insurance companies - like to bend us over the proverbial barrel and flog us on a regular basis. Here's our chance to help each other out. I have had the damnest time finding reliable, detailed data on insurance company / policy rankings, that I though it might be better getting reports first hand from other users.

My reason for looking into all this is that I am sick of Blue Cross Blue Shield sticking it to me every fucking year, even though I have never been a smoker, have never had a major illness or surgery, and rarely make claims of any kind. Every year my premium jumps like $60 for the same services and it's BS. The fuckers don't cover dental, don't cover wellness exams / physicals, or other routine stuff.

I have a pretty low deductible but even if I doubled it my rates would still suck. For a comprehensive individual PPO plan I pay about $225 a month. It's fucking ridiculous. I looked into Humana today and they're a good bit cheaper (about $135 a month), but of course their quote system is not real clear on what is and isn't included. I have a suspicion it will be closer to $150 or $160 a month to get the same kind of coverage.

The kicker is, the only report I can find (Consumer Reports 2003), lists BCBS of IL as 8th among all national providers, and Humana was like 45th. Billing problems was the worst concern. However they have apparently become very intent on making a full service web site where you can handle all kinds of common tasks and such without talking to a rep. So who knows what their 2005 ranking is.

Anyone here have Humana / feel good about their service / choices?

Feel free to jump into Auto, Home, etc. This is a full-service insurance thread.

I will say for the most part I have been very happy over the years with my State Farm Auto, even though it's a bit more expensive than some of the cheaper carriers. The one accident I was in as an adult was one where the trucker that caused it never stopped, but I had a witness on the report. Was a $4500 bill and they covered everything no questions asked, and didn't raise my premium after.

Their personal articles (covers stuff like computers and photography equipment when on the road / in the field (breakage, theft, etc)) is pretty cheap for a good amount of coverage too. Haven't had to use it but my lenses and stuff are so expensive I'd be stupid not to have it.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-01-24 at 20:28.