View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-11, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
So what's the AN verdict on the move to "integrated RAM" across the board?
I wouldn't extrapolate "across the board" from yesterday's announcements. I don't think they'll do a SoC with 1.5 TiB RAM inside.

My guess is they focused on the M1 because it was fairly similar to the A14 in that it integrates the RAM on the SoC; a future M1X or whatever around springtime then adds support for external RAM chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Of course, it's been trending this way for a while. But I was hoping the AS Mini would allow RAM upgrades. I'm sure it's faster, but it works out to a price increase since you have to max the RAM at purchase and hope nobody develops new RAM-hungry tech for the two or three years of ownership.

So do we think they're going to do this with the iMac?
Keep in mind the higher-end Mac mini models haven't been replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if those offer features like 64 GiB RAM and 10GigE, like the current Intel model does, but they're waiting for a CPU to support that.