View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-24, 08:35

How can you complain about how "big" it is when there's nothing in that photo to give it scale? There's no quarter or Coke can there for reference, so how do you know it's some huge thing that looks awkward in your pocket, going solely on that photo of it sitting there by itself?

Robo's right...I bet it's the same size as the 2G nano, which was freakishly small and thin...way more so than photos ever conveyed. I was always stunned when I'd see one in real life (at Target or in someone's hand) because the photos at Apple's site - the "beauty shots" of them on the white background or whatever - never made it obvious just how small and compact it was.

As for "re-using the design", what are you talking about? There's only so much you can do with a rectangle, a screen and a round click wheel. You could argue that the regular, full-size iPod has been "re-using" that design for about seven or so years now. What do you want...a round or triangle iPod?

This design is the only way I see for them to both a) have a larger screen than the 2G nano and b) have that same popular vertical-oriented design (instead of the short, squat look of the current nano). After a year or so - seeing them in person a few times, playing with one myself, etc. - I still hate how they look. Short, fat and square. It's the ugliest iPod they've ever made, IMO (sorry to anyone who has one, that's just my opinion).

This thing, if it's tapered like that (like a squished football, viewed from the top) is new to any iPod design, but probably takes its cue from the MacBook Air (thinning - or coming to a smaller point - at the edges).

I swear I'm not being a hard-head, but I truly don't get anything you're talking about...your complaints and analysis just don't hold up or make sense to me at all: you can't tell it's huge, it's not a retread design, etc.