View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-19, 00:48

So they started pricing streaming and DVDs-by-mail as two separate services because they intended to make them two separate services. Suddenly, it all makes sense.

OK, not really. It seems the services won't be integrated or share a queue, which kind of sucks. But Netflix probably wants to sell off Quixster, so it makes sense for them.

They're about as disinterested in optical media as Apple is.

For their part, Quixster is planning to offer a game rental add-on, similar to their $2 Blu-ray option. I'm hoping this means game rentals are also a $2 option. They really shouldn't charge more, since games would presumably count toward the number of discs you're allowed to have out at a time. And $9.99 ($7.99 + $2.00) a month for unlimited DVD or game rentals, one at a time, should be reasonably compelling.

Quixster pretty much has to move towards games to keep their by-mail service relevant, so good for them. I wish they picked a better name than "Quixster," though. It reminds me of "Quixtar," which is what Amway started calling itself in America after "Amway" developed a poor brand image. Or maybe "Kwik Star," which is a chain of convenience stores in the Midwest.

Netflix + Quixster will never be the insanely good value as it was when it was one $9 service, but if you can get unlimited streaming, DVDs, Blu-rays, and games for $19.98 a month, that's really not at all bad compared to pretty much any other entertainment option. People pay more than that for text messages. But I guess it depends on how much you would use the by-mail service.

GameFly ("Netflix for games" before Netflix Quixster added games) is probably in trouble.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong