View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-19, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ugh.

That's about all I can muster as a response to this news. I can only imagine this as a power play against the movie/TV studios because I don't see any way this benefits the customers.
I think they're preparing it for an eventual sale or spinoff. It's clear Netflix has seen its future in streaming for some time (or they would have added games-by-mail years ago).

I just can't get over the amateurish name. Are we back in the Napster/Friendster/Fill-in-the-blankster era now? It's obvious they want to distance it from the "Netflix" brand and from "flix" in general, but I think I'd actually prefer a web 2.0 name like "DLVRD." (There's even a subliminal D-V-D!) Quixster is overly gimmicky and hard to spell (don't forget the "s" or spell it "Quickster," even though it's pronounced the same!).

Also, I get that they want to keep the red envelopes, but with Netflix, Redbox, and now Quixster, there are three major movie rental providers that heavily use red in their branding...plus Dish Network, and Comcast, and XFINITY, and Verizon FiOS, and YouTube, and...stop using red guys! I know, I know, "red carpet" and all, but seriously.

Anyway, enough branding geekery. If games rentals are cheap, Quixster should be able to stay relevant for a while. But that's a big "if," and their core product becomes less relevant by the day. I'm sure some panicking digital latecomer will eventually buy Quixster for the customer base and then drive it into the ground. Walmart, maybe?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong