View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-19, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's not a great name, but I think everyone's beef with it (try a Twitter search) is overblown.
Case in point: I've been getting it wrong this entire thread. It's Qwikster. Not Qwickster, Qwixter, Qwixster, Quixster, Quickster, Quikster, or Quixter.

And it's not just me: Counting the typos in this comment thread, I'm up to Qwickster, Quixster, and Quikster. (Another user also makes the unpleasant Quixtar association.) It's simply a dysfunctional name, and even if it were functional it wouldn't be particularly memorable or evocative. It boggles the mind that a company with Netflix's resources couldn't have come up with something better; the only explanation is that They Just Didn't Care.

A common rule in naming is one "gimmick" per name. Netflix works. Flickr works. Qwikster has two, right off the bat — the w in place of a u and the dropping of the c — plus the meaningless suffix -ster, which probably counts as a third. If the name was just "Qwik," they probably would have been able to skate by without too many people spelling it wrong (though I'd still expect some Qwick and especially Quik from less-hip peoples). But Qwikster? Not a chance.

Oh, and @Qwikster currently belongs to a Muppet holding a joint. Smooth.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2011-09-19 at 04:32.