Thread: iMac Pro
View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2017-06-07, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's more expensive than I thought it would be. I was thinking it would start at $2999, with Apple leaning heavily on the "it's the same price as the Mac Pro, but you get this gorgeous display!" thing and the modular tower Mac being the one that goes into crazy high-end (dual-socket?) territory.

I'm not at all saying it's overpriced, and once they started going through the specs I wasn't surprised by the price. But if you told me yesterday that Apple was going to release an iMac Pro in the same 27-inch form factor, my guess would have been it would start at $2999.

It really is a legit pro machine, through and through. They're not really playing the "go for pro users but also any well-heeled users who just like the sound of a fancy better Mac" with this one, not at that price.
Sort of interesting 'cause you can get the gorgeous display on a regular iMac, which is what I would buy for my purposes, but could be equally attractive to someone who needs all the extra computing power.

Now if it's a really legit pro machine - what more can they do to it make a Mac Pro? See Schiller's open letter for clues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Found this on Daring Fireball.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...ives-december/ So, to answer the thread's original question:

No, no it is not.

And, on top of that, when one takes a look at the internals, the keyboard, etc.—and that it is shipping in December—it should be very clear that Apple has been working on this system for at least a year, and maybe two. In other words, they realized their mistake with the current Mac Pro long before their press release back in March or April, whenever it was.
Would a "headless iMac Pro" satisfy the design brief if it wasn't necessarily conventional but remained modular and supportable over a long period by incorporating...
  • - space for a load more user accessible RAM slots
    - space for some really fast hot swappable drives.
    - a lot of TB3/USB-C ports on independent buses in order to keep throughput super high for the folks who would plug into lots of external arrays and high res displays...

Which leads me to: what would an external Mac Pro Display look like? I would have to guess that the new bar would be 30" 8K, which sort of necessitates lots of fast I/O ports.