View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-09, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The last OS update to my MacBook Air left all my Safari webloc desktop icons blank.
I think I'd want them to focus on quality MacOS releases before diving into new software areas.
I would too, but I assume there would be separate, dedicated teams working on different things. Both things are doable, I would hope? I'm certainly not a fan of some of their decisions and QC issues in recent years, but I wouldn't want other projects/initiatives to be called to a halt over it. Apple should be able to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, juggle multiple projects and allocate resources/manpower as needed. Goodness knows they've got the space to do it in now.

Quote:
With accounting, besides QB you do have the more-pricey Xero and the no-pricey Wave Accounting.
And a number of packages in-between.
No doubt. Are they all on-the-ball in terms of being ready every year with the scheduled, predictable Apple OS updates (both Mac and iOS)? I don't know, I'm asking (I don't use any of these titles). Because if not, then that's not really an improvement or fix to the current status. And if they don't have the tight integration, iCloud syncing between devices and all the other things I can imagine Apple doing well, that's still a less-than thing. But, again, I don't use any of those, at any price, so I don't know. Their respective websites are a slog-and-a-half to get through (Xero, especially).

Are these apps (and, if so, both Mac and iOS)? Or are they web-based? If so, are they tight/secure? Any breaches or hacks/trouble so far? Seems a week/month doesn't go by that we hear about some big data leak/breach, and often by big companies I've actually heard of, which makes me a little more nervous about some of these smaller, newer outfits.

I know Intuit and all their stuff is the big monkey in the room, and have years of reputation/trust to go on. But Apple does as well. Maybe even more so, since they've got their fingers into so many pies already on the financial/transaction/cloud front and things seem to be running smoothly and safe for everyone.

But, for the things I'm specifically thinking about, I know an in-house Apple solution (for free, or even $49-99 if needed) would surely do a more thorough job, just with all the things they've got laid in place and already up and working?

Quote:
I don't see a lot of value for Apple to enter this space.
I probably don't either. But I know I would've said the same thing, 20 years ago, about digital video, music, etc. For people who are fully Apple-based (Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.), it seems like something they could craft and control and make a very slick solution for. Relieve Intuit of their Apple-related worries/hassles.

Quote:
Maybe offer a special free trial to one of them to light a fire under the perennially-late QuickBooks.
If my idea is unworkable, and these other options are a little more on-the-ball with their updates and Apple-friendly implementations/rollouts, then yes. I just can't imagine the Apple/Mac side of the Intuit base being big or "important" enough for them to stress over, otherwise the situation would be a little better, and Yontsey wouldn't be in the pickle he's in. Maybe for the same reason(s) Apple decided to do their own work/productivity stuff, so Mac/iOS users wouldn't be forever bound to Microsoft Office for those kinds of tasks, they'd do something better for their base than Intuit is ever going to? Everyone agrees that they're never in a hurry to deliver on their end, it seems.

It probably won't happen, no. But it's the one software thing I've kinda gone back to, again and again, in recent years. Wondering "wouldn't it be kinda nice if...", knowing how friends and relatives of mine using some of these other things (Quicken, primarily) always seem to be grousing, or in wait-and-see mode, on an ongoing, annual basis.

I'd be more impressed with this sort of thing from Apple, as opposed to further developments on the superior selfie-taking front. That there's a crew of folks inside that spaceship working on this makes me want to slap my head with a brick or three.

Quote:
When we give our customers the tools to be the full narcissist they're striving to be, we know we are making a true impact in the world. - Tim Cook

Don't lie...everyone here can imagine him saying that in that Snagglepuss, sing-songy voice of his.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-09 at 11:20.