Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Right. Which, for a computer, is kind of a boring look.
It is indeed, which is what I've said upthread. The chin on the iMac is the least of anyone's worries. For 22+ hours now, some people online (okay, MacRumors.com ) are acting like Apple kicked their grandmother in the head.

I've never wanted a completely bezel/chin-free iMac. The bezel can certainly be smaller around the sides and top, as needed, but the chin "grounds" it, gives a place for the logo (oops), Post-Its and makes it look like something else is going on other than just being a monitor. Silly, I know. But so is a lot of stuff in this realm (computers, tech, "digital lifestyle").

They've opened this "colors" can again, so now it'll be interesting to see a) how far they take it (notebooks, Mac mini on the next go-around, etc.?), and b) just how it will cycle/overlap (will some products have these colors, while others have those, etc.).

A year from now, Apple's website might look like Picasso threw up...all products in various colors. Or, maybe, if these new iMacs go over like a poot in church, everything's just silver/space grey once again (to the horror/dismay of some).

I will be honest: I can easily imagine (okay, I literally typed that as "iMagine" on my first go, just to show you how, after 20+ years, I'm so used to doing that, the small "I" thing in front of words...thanks, Apple) the MacBook Air (hopefully just "MacBook" soon because the "Air" isn't needed) getting these colors, and having it and the iMac share those colors (like 1999 all over again, where the "consumer" desktops and notebooks were colorful/fun). It'll be a manufacturing/shipping/stocking pain-in-the-logistical-balls...but that's Apple's problem, not mine. They'll have it out of their system in 4-5 years anyway (and we'll then go to white plastic).

But I don't think the upcoming redesigned(?) MacBook Pro or Mac Pro will go this route. In fact, I'd love to see both of those go to Space Grey, period. And I think the majority of buyers for those would be cool with that too. Something with "Pro" in the name does look a bit silly in Fisher-Price/Play-Doh hues. That's a weird disconnect that I don't think they'll do.

- MacBook and iMac in color options (if they're going to open that door again), but always offer a simple silver for those not into that look
- MacBook Pro and Mac Pro in (exclusively for the "Pro" Macs now) Space Grey (sober, low-key and no Serious Userâ„¢ types are going to cry/bitch about "emasculating" colors in their office or conference rooms; you know how those people can get about appearances/image and how they come across to the world)

Then probably just leave the Mac mini as is, neutral, knowing that it's often/likely not getting paired with Apple displays, keyboard and/or mouse, so...why bother? Just keep it silver and "goes with anything". Nobody's going to squawk about that, I'm betting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-21 at 11:40.