View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 16:50

I'm kinda curious if such a thing still exists here in town, and, surely, it's a bit further along. Only difference is, my interest/enthusiasm has waned, so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it like I might've 10-15 years ago.

Oh well, time does march on.

But there were some funny moments back then. It seemed like the Mac-using world was divided into two camps...the pre-1998/iEra crowd, and the post. I saw it many, many times back in those days. Even the one MWSF Expo I attended (2000, the unveiling of OS X and the big blue gel "X" banners up everywhere), was a real eye-opener. I saw grown men lamenting "the end of an era" and being a bunch of drama babies and I just could never get my head around that.

It's still a Mac. It sounds like it's even going to be a better one. Sounds like some interesting, cool stuff.

I remember attending a seminar on icon design put on by the guys from iconfactory.com. They didn't know what to talk about, with the new OS X icon style having just been unveiled the day before. They weren't quite sure where things were headed, how they factored in and instead of it being cool "how to" demos/drawing (those old school bit-map icons, pre-OS X) we were treated to this Robert Langdon-style seminar/lecture on symbols and communication.

"Guys, I don't give a shit what this meant in France in the 1600's...do something cool in Photoshop already!"

I nearly lapsed into a coma.*

Yeah, if some people had it their way, OS X, iMacs, iPods, iMovie and all the rest probably never would've existed. We'd be installing applications via multiple floppies, fiddling with SCSI ID numbers, shutting down before connecting/disconnecting anything, etc.

No thanks.

*Once I OD'd on all the fruit-colored accessories and peripherals on the show floor, and visited every booth/exhibitor, for two days, I decided it was my one best shot to see San Francisco. So that's what I did for the next day-and-a-half. I never set foot back in Moscone. But did/saw everything a tourist/visitor to SF should: the wharf, the big orange bridge , Lombard Street, Chinatown, that white tower in that Dirty Harry movie, rode a cable car, ate some crazy food, played billiards in a funky venue late at night, drank beers I'd never heard of, etc. I had a better time that week, outside of the Expo, than inside the hall.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-29 at 17:05.