View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-30, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
This sort of fear of change is oddly common in IT (you'd think tech folks would embrace the future).
To be fair, it's not always about fear of change. It's often about preserving access amid differing economic and business circumstances.

I was of course joking about wanting FW800 ports in a new Mac computer, but I do still own a Mac with a FW800 port and have a few drives kicking around the office. I also have a couple decades worth of backup data DVDs from eons past. It's conceivable that I might need to access some of that data if a really old file ever gets corrupted on my main drives.

So I might want a dongle that connects FW800 to the latest ports, and I want SuperDrive connectivity, even if its day is long past.

I absolutely do not need a SuperDrive in the forthcoming larger iMac, and would be thrilled if the machine itself had only a number of TB4/USB4 ports.

But there are business cases when an IT person might want to preserve the ability to access legacy devices.
That's different from saying they just don'r want to embrace the connectivity of the future.