Thread: Pledge
View Single Post
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-09-28, 01:25

We said the pledge everyday from kindergarten to 12th grade. I really like the pledge except for two details. While I do believe that my nation is one nation under god I don't want everyone to have to state this as their beliefs are just as valid as mine.

I do like the fact that the pledge doesn't ask one to agree with everything the US is doing right now. It asks one to think of us as one nation and not tribes of Native Americans, Irish Americans, Mexican Americans, Rich Americans, gay Americans etc. The liberty and justice for all part could be very good if only we could get people to believe and understand that section. The meaning one could derive from the pledge could actually cause people to question and check their government.

I guess the problem with making a pledge a rote exercise is that in mechanically reciting such a pledge the words lose meaning.

If the US were an ideal society time could be set aside everyday and those choosing not to participate would be require to sit in respectful silence.

I think I have talked myself into liking and disliking this requirement. Good thing I don't have a senate vote.