View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-27, 08:43

And AT&T are none too happy with all this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/27/...iphone-unlocks

Good. Sue their balls off. They're not supposed to be doing this stuff, so AT&T (and Apple) have a leg to stand on here. These people who are going in and engineering and tweaking this stuff and breaking/ignoring the licensing agreements we don't read are in the wrong.

It doesn't matter that you "don't like AT&T" or whatever. That's not the point. It's not up for people to go around this and get away with these kinds of hacks.

You want an iPhone? Then get out of your current agreement and sign up with AT&T, which we've known for eight months now is the exclusive carrier.

Otherwise, STFU.

If the situation happened to be reversed, and Apple had partnered with T-Mobile or Verizon (and I knew this since January), you can bet you eyeballs that if I truly had to have an iPhone that I would've taken the steps to get out of my Cingular/AT&T contract and sign up with the official iPhone carrier...as opposed to waiting for some legally questionable, half-assed hack to come along and probably not provide all the functionality I'd get doing it the right way (and knowing that at any time Apple could release an update that killed the hack...they do this on the iPod all the time, so why would anyone think that a hack that truly pissed Apple and AT&T off would be long for this world?).

Everybody wants something for nothing. Another by-product of the "I want it now, and I want it free!" Internet culture.

Imagine if all these geeky hacker types actually put their time and energy into stuff that was truly meaningful and worthwhile, like designing a better space shuttle or coming up with a way to keep my Dr. Pepper cold after two hours. Instead, it's always lame-o stuff like trying to unlock some format or product and, eventually, having all their work be in vain once the legal teams get wind of it.