View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-27, 11:34

Well, buy the damn hack and take your chances. What do you want me to say? I don't really even give a rip, and I don't get all torqued-up about "corporate greed" like others do, so I'm probably just going to beat my head on a wall talking to some of you about this stuff.

I've never been a real "down with The Man/fight the system!" type to begin with, so don't expect me to get all choked up over this whole "greed/choice/monopoly" issue. Sorry, I just don't.

It is what it is. I'll let others run around the street, throwing bottles and chanting slogans. That's why God invented college students.

BTW, how long is this Apple/AT&T thing in place? I've never heard a firm, definite answer on this. Two years? Five years?

I will agree with one aspect of this: if they're going to lock this thing and keep it tied to a single carrier for a number of years and limit the all-important "choice" that everyone gets fired up about, the least they could've done was offer some sort of rebate.

Yeah, it was a bit odd to pay the full $499 and sign the contract and know that AT&T was the only game in town.

But it stung less, I suppose, because I was already with them for three years, and happy.

But as hard/expensive as Apple has made this product, it's still doing well. I guess enough people aren't bothered by the system in place. I assume it will eventually open up to other carriers in time? How does that work...the AT&T agreement expires, and others are free to sell the iPhone at some point too? Will they have their own visual voicemail systems in place, or is that strictly an AT&T thing?