View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-26, 19:28

My bedside white Apple USB-to-Lightning cable that I've used for years and years has become frayed. I don't wanna get zapped or risk any sort of fire hazard, etc. I wrapped the affected wire (near the lightning port) with some electrical tape the other day, but I need to replace it.

I'm not nuts about dropping $19 on the Apple one for something I don't even use every day.

What do I need to look for in the way of third-party, cheaper-than-Apple versions?

I saw black-colored one at Walmart this afternoon and it was $5.88. It had the "Made for iPhone" badging on the box. I don't recall the name.

I know I shouldn't be looking at those $2 no-name things at the corner Stop 'n' Rob, but is the general rule of thumb stuff with that "made for iPhone" badging on it "safe" and of a certain quality/reliability? If so, I'll snag that one I saw tomorrow this week. It was a 3-footer, which is all I need.

Or is $5.88 itself a red flag, regardless of the Apple-friendly badging? Surely there are quality, safe USB-to-Lightning chargers out there for $10 or less that won't burn my house down?

I literally have never bought one of these, third-party, because I bought two additional Apple ones back in the day, with my iPhone 5 (fall of 2012) and they've lasted me all these years until this bedside one became frayed.

Feel free to throw any recommendations/links my way, or tell me if there's a brand that you know is carried by Walmart, Best Buy or Target that I can just go pick up this week, locally. $10 or less and, if I had my choice, it would be white. But that's not carved in aluminum...neon green, braided silver, etc. I don't care, as long as its well-made and reasonably-priced.

I found this one...thoughts?

They have a lot of this brand a Walmart.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-26 at 19:40.