Thread: Plex/Nine
View Single Post
sunrain
Veteran Member

2010-09-02, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Apparently Plex 9 has incompatibilities with Flash 10.1 and that's what's breaking most of the video plugins. There's no ETA or apparent commitment by the devs to get 10.1 working, and the standard response is to downgrade to 10.0.x. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up the otherwise greatly improved performance of Flash 10.1 in web browsers just for Plex…
I'm using Plex on a dedicated box, so that's no big deal for me. I can see the annoyance factor though.

Quote:
Also, the Plex developers didn't seem to consider the effect that their code would have on third-party thetvdb.com, which was struggling with an apparent DoS for hours until the owner of the site realized that the Plex app is misbehaving WRT how it requests the metadata. His only temporary recourse was to block Plex users. Whoops! This means, of course, that TV episodes in your library won't get any metadata… and Plex doesn't allow you to manually edit any metadata. Double whoops!
I'd chalk this up to the pitfalls of a public alpha release. IT sounds as though both sides are working toward an answer.

Plex doesn't allow you to manually edit any metadata... yet. I believe most of the dev time was spent on making sweet love to a ground-up rewrite of the media library. By many accounts it now has very little (technically) to do with the XBMC it came from. Now that they've laid a sweet smelling foundation, the indications are that the feature sets of the media center and the player will blossom.

Quote:
But among this mess, one feature does shine brightly: computer-to-computer streaming. My goodness. No configuration necessary on either server or client; the section name from one computer simply appears in the main menu like a local section on the other computer. It's completely seamless and the performance (at least for SD TV shows I've tried) is wonderful, even over 802.11g. Major win on that point!

Once they get the bugs hammered out, I think Plex 9 is going to be really good.
Agreed all around. Considering the fact they view this as an alpha release, I think it's doing quite serviceably. Just imagine once they hit beta.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs