View Single Post
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-10-28, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Really, I still encourage anyone wanting to get into photography to get a fixed lens around this focal length if possible. It's pretty much what your eye sees and helps you think about what you're framing and how
Definitely a good advice. I once attended a little fun workshop: It was called the "sneaker zoom workshop": You got a list of ten subjects, about 6 hours of time and you were only allowed to use only a 50mm (equivalent) focal length and an aperture from 5.6 on (in order to level the field, so owners of a fast prime had no advantage over the users of a kit zoom). For these ten subjects, you were only allowed to make ten pictures, so you had exactly one try per subject. You really had to think twice (or more) what would be the best shot.
Afterwards, we met in a bar and watched the results and everybodies interpretation of the subjects. It was really amazing to see the differences, even though everybody had basically the same basic photo equipment. It was definitely a fun experience.

Generally, for training my "subject awareness", I take the camera with one lens with me when I walk my dog. Then I look for 'matching' subjects. When I take the Fisheye, I see totally different things than on the occasions when I take the macro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
In photography, you don't want to be lazy and go simply for quantity and hope some turn out well, but you have tremendous freedom to take a ton of photos and your chances of that great shot are that much better so long as you are paying attention to what you're doing, trying to improve and get what you want out of them.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson
"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." – Ansel Adams

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin