View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-20, 09:58

I'm looking to consolidate some machines in my house to reduce power consumption. A mini will allow me to retire a 650W Hackintosh as well as an OLD Dell that is likely just 350W. Of course those are peak consumption but the mini is 122W max. Given these normally sit idle now it would still be a savings.

I was looking at getting a mini but now I'm thinking a PC will be just fine. Currently of the VMs running my home I only have 4 that are macOS (of some flavor) that NEED to be on a Apple hardware (without a hack). So 15 VMs (as of right now) are running either Windows or Linux in various flavors. So really, I need a power sipping PC that is modern (Intel 11th gen CPU) and able to have 64GB or more RAM. RAM is always the limiting factor for VMs.

Any ideas on good options for a small PC that can run ESXi? For now we should just start with power sipping modern PCs and I can vet out ESXi requirements. It needs to have a 10Gb NIC or at least a slot to upgrade though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.