View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-21, 09:25

I'm using "hypervisor" as a term for the hardware and software but really it is the software that runs the baseline OS that enables the VMs to interact with the hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMware
A hypervisor, also known as a virtual machine monitor or VMM, is software that creates and runs virtual machines (VMs). A hypervisor allows one host computer to support multiple guest VMs by virtually sharing its resources, such as memory and processing.

I'm back to where I was at the beginning. There really isn't what I want out there and not good way to make it work. I read an article that talked about shredding a laptop and using that as the guts for what I'm looking for, but then there are interface issues.

I'm really amazed at what the mini is when I'm trying to find something that is like it but not Apple made/designed.

Maybe I look at the rPi again. The high end is like $100 (not counting storage) and only a max of 15W based on the power supply. While these won't run the Windows or macOS VMs they could run the linux ones. This model of Pi also has a PoE HAT set of pins so I could run it from my PoE switch rather than a separate brick.

Really, I could likely go with the cheaper 4GB model too given the linux processes I run and typically low RAM consumption AND it wouldn't be a hypervisor where I need the RAM to share with multiple systems.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.