View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-03, 03:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
How did a Canadian PhD student with $650k in funding beat Apple to this?
There's a difference between some unproven unregulated student project and a product that's tested, approved by drug agencies, manufactured in high volume, etc.

The device also looks much bulkier than an Apple Watch, and we don't know what kind of battery life it reaches. Tons of question marks.

The article seems heavy in fluff.

"combines biosensors and artificial intelligence to measure human vital signs, blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, blood oxygen saturation, body temperature, and electrocardiogram (ECG) and photoplethysmography (PPG) signals."

What are… "vital signs"? Aren't the things lifted afterwards exactly that? Or is "vital signs" some kind of aggregate measure?

Does it actually measure blood pressure in any way, or does it make guesses using machine learning? If it has sensors for this, how practical is it to scale them down to the Apple Watch form factor? Would it be practical to make this part of a "smart band", perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The bigger thing for Apple, which they should have done first, comes from ZTE, which just launched a phone with a camera embedded under the screen, thus sans notch. Ouch.
Wellllll…

"Putting a camera under the screen makes it harder to match the quality of an unobstructed smartphone camera, so to compensate ZTE has developed software algorithms that address haze, glare, and color cast issues in photos."

How large is the proportion of people who hate the notch (I don't notice it that much in practice; the asymmetry does look dumb in landscape mode, though, but I rarely use that), and is it worth sacrificing camera quality for it?

I'll wait for the reviews. I'm guessing this sets back the camera by half a decade, for what amounts to more of a gimmick.