View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-04, 06:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
We probably won't ever get the full story on this, but I wonder to what extent the Galaxy Fold and the Apple Watch were expedited in their schedule based on analyst+pundit expectations. Apple "needs" to do a smartwatch because otherwise, Apple can't innovate Phil's ass any more. Samsung "needs" to make an innovative new type of phone because their high-end phones have become boring.

Both products ended up being a bit premature, and having some ideas that just aren't working. For example, from Apple's press release:

"Apple Watch will enable you to communicate in new ways right from your wrist by sending and receiving messages, answering calls to your iPhone, and with Digital Touch, sending something as personal as your own heartbeat. Apple Watch also introduces comprehensive health and fitness apps that can help people lead healthier lives."

That "also" ended up becoming the main function.
I get what you're saying, and you're right. But to be fair, the modern Apple does indulge itself in "hobbies" from time to time.
It was clear that wearables were the Next Big Thing, and Apple now has the time and money to relax a bit and throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks.

It's also clear that health care on this planet is in the dark ages, and Steve's hospital experience imprinted on the company's mission.

If not for the pandemic, telemedicine would still be a thing mainly for people living in the Arctic. We send rockets to space, but when we get sick we're still living Seinfeld's bit from the 90's where we're ecstatic because we've moved from the big waiting room to the small waiting room.

There's a lot of room for Apple to innovate in health, and the watch seems to have found its calling as the main diagnostic tool. Bring it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I still wear that "Series 0" Apple Watch every day — but I don't use quite a few of its features. It's clearly underpowered to run most apps, but even if it weren't, many of them just don't seem that enticing.
Yeah, I really only wear my Series 0 during the workday. I like that it notifies me of calls (my phone's always on vibrate) and text messages.
I use it for exercise counting and will upgrade for health features, but I'd prefer a separate armband or something for sleep monitoring.