View Single Post
JohnnyTheA

2010-02-14, 01:37

It will be interesting to see how Toyota handles this crisis. Quality has always been a big priority for them. I couldn't believe it when I heard Toyo's CEO speaking REALLY bad english in an apology statement. He sounded like something out of Southpark! Its a sign that they are in real trouble. Japanese, especially the higher ranked ones, generally don't like to talk in English unless they speak it close to perfect. Something cultural about saving face.

I am a Toyota Fan. My current 04 Tundra is a really solid truck that I am very happy with. Even still I can see differences between it and my older 95 T100. The T100 was canked because it was built in Japan and had a 25% tariff. Toyo decided they would build up plants in the US to make a similar truck (Tundra). The Tundra doesn't have the same build quality that the old T100 had. It is also an interference Engine with a timing belt instead of a chain (Cheaper for the company). Still I have 95K on it with no issues, so I don't have much to complain about. And it rides really nice.

I think Toyota made the best autos in the mid-80s through the 90s. For the past ten years it seems they have been trying to mimic GM by selling so many models and making their cars REALLY big. The new Tundra is has major stability problems, is F-ing Huge, and is part of this new recall debacle. If I get a new truck someday, it probably won't be a Tundra.

Honda/Acura still kick Arse...