View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-05-07, 06:48

One thing I’ve learned during all of this is that there’s a whole culture/“movement” on Instagram of women “proudly going gray”.

And it has nothing to do with the virus and their inability to get to the salon. These have been going on for a few years, it seems...entire Instagram accounts consisting of nothing other than some 30/40-something woman posting endless selfies of her gray/silver hair (or her hair slowly going that way). No lie...dozens, if not hundreds, of pics of the same woman doing nothing but showing her hair, as though that, in and of itself, is some genuinely courageous act or merits such coverage/discussion (dozens/hundreds of comments, etc.).

It’s hair, people. Do whatever you want. You were dealt a quirky genetic hand, that’s all. You haven’t discovered a new atom or time travel.

That level of vanity, obsession and “look at me”, I tend to find a little weird/offputting in a person. It seems their entire existence - at least in the way they choose to present it - centers around the color of their hair. It’s like their yellow sun, lantern ring or spider bite. It seems to define their lives and gives them their reason to wake up in the morning.

There are hardcore guitarists or woodworker/DIY types on Instagram who don’t post about their guitar/amp or their latest house project every single post. But these silver-haired martyrs...EVERY POST, there’s their hair, front and center.

While not directly related to COVID-19, I’m writing about it here because it is something I discovered while CHAINED TO MY HOUSE THE PAST 5-6 WEEKS. Therefore, it counts.

PS - Many of these women are supremely attractive/smoking hot (and it’s a look I actually like). But I still can’t get my head around the level of end-all/be-all importance they place on it. Until a few weeks ago, I had no idea this was even a thing. You either have grey/silver hair or you don’t. And whether you choose to color/hide it or “go natural” always struck me as a personal choice that nobody outside your household could possibly give two screaming, on-fire shits about. Seems I was (very) wrong! It appears to be an official Movement™️.

PS Again - Note that I’m not talking about teens and 20-somethings purposely coloring their hair silver/platinum, which seems to be a bit of a trend in the hair/beauty world (and it looks really good in some), but the ones I’m referring to are those in their 30’s or 40’s and going prematurely gray/silver and I guess they’re “documenting the journey“. (and possibly using it as attention/compliment bait in the process). Two different groups!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-05-07 at 07:19.