View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-04-22, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Then you would need to be clear to your clients that their prices are going up because you want to ensure that your employees (who I presume you care about/are loyal to) don't go broke working for you. It's better for your bottom line to keep trained employees, who might otherwise quit, and not have to lose time/money/resources to an employee search because you've let your current employees' real salaries drop owing to inflation.

Look at it from my perspective: I am effectively a small business owner myself, I've helped to bring into the university over £1.6 million (almost half of that exclusively from my efforts), and I hire people to do the work I've raised money to do. I fit in a system where I have no control over my salary or the salary of the folks I employee. I no more want to have my cost of living to be unlivable at my salary than I do for the people I employ. So I join a union which supports my goals of a sustainable academic practice, rather than do nothing as the government and universities cut into bone in the pursuit of the latest bauble...
Absolutely, those are the types of conversations we have with clients when prices do go up. Offering employees a good wage (the hourly rate we offer is slightly more than I pay myself to be honest) and benefits is simply a must to even get applications due to the extremely low unemployment rate (less than 5.7%) in our area. I’d like to think that since we do the same work as the employees, we can understand their needs reasonably well. I started with the company as an employee, so I hope that helps them see that I get where they are coming from.