View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-02, 15:18

What chucker said. I've routinely reported hateful things being said to me on my personal and my activism accounts, including a tweet responding to a fundraising effort by donating books about trans kids to protest libraries removing them as inappropriate content by saying that all trans teens should be institutionalized so they grow up 'correct', and I'd say only 1-2 of every hateful tweet I have reported has been acted on. The rest get dismissed by twitter support as "free speech that can stay on the platform but you can block if you don't want to see".

I haven't left Twitter yet because as some of you may know, I've been able to successfully raise over $1,000,000 in donations over the last few years for voting rights and for transgender rights, and I'm proud of the work I've done with my various teams. But logging into an account to see people telling me all the ways they'd like to violate and multilate people like me, that we should be institutionalized, that laws denying us access to treatments that have kept us alive are good and valid... to have some DMs sent to us where people have found the home addresses of em and the other organizers... I will say Twitter Support removes the specific threats of "I'll show up to [address] and show you what I think", but it's still a fucking mess to see dozens of others that say the same thing but just don't list my street, and so they don't get taken down.

Free speech laws protect us from the government doing things, and I think it should be one thing for someone to be able to say at home "I don't like trannies and I support laws taking away their healthcare" without being arrested, but I think it should be another thing for a vile transphobe to be allowed to put it on blast to huge followerships of 50k "hey please send this small group of people doing fundraiser work graphic threats and as long as you don't release their addresses it's okay".

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder