View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-12, 12:13

That is the interesting thing about stuff like this. On one hand the filmmakers want to honor the established history/design of the character which, let's face it, was pretty much a one-piece bathing suit. More modest in the earlier years, of course (a blue skirt, but still lots of bare leg, shoulders, etc.). I've seen more recent comic depictions where she's wearing pants/bodysuit, more like you'd see other superheroes sporting. So there has been that transition, at least in the comic book realm.

But, yeah...the traditional look, as everyone knows it, is the blue, red and gold "bathing suit". That's the bulk of the comics, the Saturday morning cartoons and the 70's Lynda Carter TV show. For better or worse, that's the Wonder Woman look 98% of the planet knows/recognizes. Fine, no problem from me.

But had the filmmakers not gone with that traditional, expected look, half the people would've freaked ("Aww, that P.C./#MeToo bullshit done went and ruined Wonder Woman!", etc.). You have to remember...one man's Super Bowl halftime show is another man's 20-minute tug session. Important to recognize that.

I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous when I say that whatever anyone says or does, at this point in our culture, is guaranteed, right off the bat, to alienate/offend/trigger/anger 50% of the population. Without fail. We truly seem to be split right down the center at this point, on every single issue, major or silly. You're truly in a no-win situation because if you go with the traditional outfit, this and that crowd are gonna be in your face and cry about it on Twitter. But if you think "okay, she's a superhero not a pinup poster, let's redesign the outfit to better reflect that, 20 years into the 21st century", then you're gonna tick off the traditionalists and those who've grown weary of all the hyper-P.C. handwringing of late.

You truly can't win with people anymore. Being pissed off/offended, from both sides is simply the new national pastime.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised WB/DC went with the traditional outfit. I'm not complaining, mind you...Ms. Gadot looks wonderful. But I liked the parts that were more Amazonian battle armor. I kinda compare this character to Thor on the Marvel side, coming from a different world and with a warrior type of background. But Thor isn't running around shirtless, with short shorts, as much as some may want that.

If these Wonder Woman movies continue, she may wind up in a more "covered all over" outfit, some sort of stylish battle armor or whatever? I've seen pics from the upcoming sequel where she's in more of a gold armor outfit in some scenes (but even that is quite sexy in its own way; let's face it...they're not gonna totally de-sexualize the character), so maybe that's what they're transitioning to, after acknowledging history/lore with the red/gold/blue bathing suit.

Funny, if you strip it all down (no pun) to where Wonder Woman's outfit was the standard look, then you'd have Superman and Batman in some real "interesting" costumes. So, yeah...when you look at it that way, Wonder Woman's skimpy outfit seems kinda silly and out-of-place. Green Lantern isn't walking around with his bulge on full show, and his chest emblem painted on a shirtless, chiseled torso. Same for the others. She's gotta do the cheesecake thing, while all her dude counterparts are armored, caped, body-suited, etc.

Where do you break from "tradition" and embrace practicality and modern mores? They'll figure it out (and I'm sure audiences and the public in general will certainly let them know; that's what Twitter is for, right?).

Mind you, none of this means anything to me because (except for Star Wars ) I don't go to movies to be offended and troubled (but I think I may be in the minority on that at this point). They could put her in a wool, turtlenecked schoolmarm dress as long as there's a good story/plot/writing, so I honestly don't care what she wears. Even as "caveman" and non-P.C. as I can be about some things, even I kinda think "that's not really the most practical crimefighting get-up imaginable" (her boots are heeled as well, and you know that's not ideal). At some point I think they should probably cover her up a bit more, with some sensible shoes, strictly for practicality purposes...unless part of her overall tactical approach is to distract her foes with leg, cleavage, nice shoulders, etc. In which case, who am I to argue against what the creators originally came up with? I respect history and tradition too much to try and undermine the hard work of others.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-12 at 12:28.