View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-14, 17:27

I'll be honest.

I had a difficult time getting very far into Wonder Woman, what with the Wonder-Broad wars and Captain New Kirk's crappy acting. It did nothing for me, and pretty much put an end to any further exploration of the DC universe.

I get that these people are all "super heroes" operating amongst us pukey mortals, but this stuff is all just getting far too unrealistic and "out there".

I can get on board with Star Wars and Star Trek (mostly) because the writers are deliberately taking us to new worlds where things should be different and outrageous. However, these comic movies (and most action flicks) now have even the mere mortals jumping tremendous distances, falling from great heights, and otherwise surviving impossible scenarios with way too much busy-CGI crap. It's no longer entertaining and the story-telling is getting increasingly mindless. I mean, this is Earth, and gravity matters!

Thus, I got right up to Diana rescuing Chris Pine's character*, rolled my eyes, and gave up. The angle and impact speed of that plane crash make it clear that the pilot died on impact. End of story. But immediately after a cheesy, CGI-mess of a 100mph crash in a WWI-era, open-cockpit plane and he hasn't got a single mark on his face? And Ken checked out of the movie!

But my daughter loved it, so there's that.

*That whole beach scene was certainly taken straight from a comic book, what with its George Lucas-inspired dialogue.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)