View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 12:31

After seeing that new iMac, I no longer buy the rumor of the card slot, HDMI port, etc. returning to a new, redesigned MacBook Pro. The ports already there would support all those functions, right (with the appropriate dongle/adaptor), right? It just doesn't seem very 2021 Apple to go back and ad large "legacy" type ports that not all users may need or want. Provide four(?) of the ports already in use, plus a single audio/headphone port (or will they even do that), and just let the so-called "pro" user purchase exactly what they want in the way of adaptors to use with the hardware specific to them.

Makes more sense in both manufacturing and logistics. Apple would never, unless the entire sides (both) are littered with various ports, accommodate every type of "pro" user out there and what they made need for their specific pursuits (photography, video, etc.). But provide four powerful ports than can be anything. Because I know people who have older MacBook Pros with HDMI, card slot, etc. and have never once touched them. Why saddle an otherwise sleek machine with ports that may not appeal to, or be used by, many users? Provide the capability, keep the machine itself sleek and uncluttered, and, for those who require HDMI, card slots, USB A, DVI this, VGA that and all the rest...they have options to get exactly what they need/want. But many, like me, don't require any add-ons to do what they do, so they just get to enjoy a nice, uncluttered notebook without a bunch of wasted, dust-collecting holes in the side.

I think the "Pro" in MacBook Pro, on this next go-around, is hinging on performance, vs. "provide every possible I/O solution in existence, including the old stuff we jettisoned some time ago". You simply can't predict/know all the devices and connections any 5-10 "pro" users may require. So don't. Provide the Thunderbolt and let them figure out what they need. They're "professionals", spending $1,799(?)+ on their new high-end MacBook Pro...they're completely capable of knowing what it is they use/need in the way of add-ons and peripherals.

So I just picture these upcoming, redesigned MacBook Pros as sleek/thin as possible (knowing they can't paint themselves into unnecessary thermal corners, so no need to go Jony thin at this point), but just a very understated, distilled-down-to-all-it-can-be (which it almost already kinda is) form. I do think that Touch Bar is a goner because it seemed half-baked/unasked-for to begin with, and solved next to nothing). So unless they've figured out something truly amazing/revolutionary to do with that thing, I see the hardware F keys coming back. Redesigned/re-mapped, likely, to do 2021-and-beyond tasks for Big Sur-and-beyond features, but that's it.

And with the same level of bezel decrease we just saw in the new iMac (it seemed to go about by almost half, compared to the 21.5" model), that tells me a 14" MacBook will probably be coming in a body the same size as the current 13" models (because those are actually 13.3" displays, rounded down to a more roll-off-the-tongue "13-inch"). They wouldn't have to go too far up at all in size (even to just 13.7" or something) to call the new models "14-inch" (the new 24" iMac, you'll notice all over Apple.com, is accompanied with an asterisk disclaimer stating that the display is actually 23.5" diagonally, just two inches larger than the model it replaced). But "24" sounds much nicer, doesn't it? So Apple certainly doesn't have to go to a larger body at all. The can just go up 1/2" or so, to anything over the ~13.7" range and comfortably/legally call it "the new 14-inch MacBook Pro".

Because they just did it on their iMac and nobody's squawking or raising a fuss.

That's a bezel trick/tweak, making all that black go away and allowing for a slightly larger display. Especially if the corner radius is decreased a bit. I've always thought it was quite large/swoopy than necessary. Remember how tight and squared-off (but still slightly rounded) the Titanium PowerBook G4 was? It looked like a nice chunk of something.

Besides, I really don't think anyone's hinging their hopes/plans on a <1" screen size bump...it's that second round of AS and the higher RAM ceilings and performance bumps that many are waiting for. Any screen size increase, especially going from 13.3 to 13.6+" won't really be noticeable anyway (it'll just be new and different in the marketing, separating it from previous models). It lets them call it a 14" MacBook Pro, after 15 years of only a "13-inch" existing.

This model, the true replacement to the existing $1,799+ Intel 13" MacBook Pro, is the most interesting to me in all of Apple's lineup. It has the potential to be the most "bang for the buck" Mac, and the "most power in a small package" offering they have. That'll be a fun, interesting event/unveiling.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-28 at 13:03.