View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-10-13, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I was talking about the guy on the right with the face paint and ”Jesus Rode Dinosaurs” sign. That’s not brave, it’s internet trolling.
Oh, ok. I thought you just meant the fact it was a handful of people standing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Oh, I dunno, any mass protest movement with a fair number of young people is going to have its share of silliness. Just look at the Viet Nam protests-- the crowds were full of goofy Yippies doing "street theater" and the like.
This is true unfortunately, and more less something that is uniquely American. The problem is, the TV media idiots will always gravitate towards the protesters making the biggest fools of themselves. Because of course, that's what the producer of the news show wants (because that's what his boss wants). And his boss' boss' boss. You know, GE, Disney, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
But - the biggest problem with a spokesperson with "gravitas", is - someone with gravitas is, by definition, part of the 1% and not the 99%.

Maybe... but a person of gravitas could just = more congressmen (who aren't necessarily rich and if they're first term, not necessarily beyond hope).

Quote:
I see your point - but this is an apples-oranges comparison. The Arab Spring protestors were getting beaten, arrested/tortured, and even shot
Ah, but it's really not. Even before those people were getting beaten and whatnot, they were not sitting around peacefully on a grassy hill, strumming guitars or holding cardboard signs quietly. They were fucking angry, side-by-side and in people's faces. Sorry but it needs to happen IMO. And I think a great many of the protestors out there will draw the line precisely at "in their face". Because it's uncomfortable. We as a society have become so freakin touch-feely about emotions and expressing ourselves delicately that we no longer see the value in "respectfully getting angry and in someone's face". People now, because of all these reality shows maybe, equate in your face with hatred.

When did that happen exactly? Sometimes we get in the face of the people we care about most to wake them up or call them out on something. Doesn't mean we hate them... so something (psychologically) is going to have to change about this dynamic. If I keep seeing videos of cops taking pot-shots at protestors with billy clubs, that change might not take long. See your brother or friend's skull get cracked, the next day you might have a whole new perspective on the value of "in their face".

Quote:
And I don't think getting more chaotic will be productive at all. It will only make it easier for their critics to marginalize them.
Too late; the media is already ignoring them / not taking them seriously (at least the TV media isn't). I get what you're saying but if this is the long-haul protest meant ultimately to gather thousands of people in these cities, they can't think like that. They can't think about someone saying bad stuff about them because they're hostile in some cases. That's where the message comes in. If the message is strong and logical, they can't be marginalized.

Quote:
The OWS movement needs a good-looking, very well-spoken, inspiring, spokesperson who has such a burning desire to changetheworld that it infects those around him/her. A 20-or-30-something who is undeniably a member of the 99%.

In short - it needs the socio-political version of a Young Steve Jobs.
He's 1% but wouldn't it be hilarious if George Clooney threw himself into this? I think he's the only man in Hollywood anyone would take seriously.

Quote:
1. If you're not registered to vote, then REGISTER. Democrat, Republican, or Independent - if you're not registered, do so IMMEDIATELY.
2. Stay in touch with other OWS protestors in your area.
3. Identify incumbents and candidates running for local, state, and national office, and make sure they know that YOUR vote will depend on THEIR position on "the separation of corporation and state".
4. Encourage your fellow OWS protestors do the same.
5. Make sure everyone you know in the 99% is encouraged to do the same.
6. Last, but not least - VOTE at election time. Be sure to encourage everyone you know to do the same.
Until we change the money train and the term limits and all that crap, won't matter. Everyone on the ballot will be the same types who got us into this mess. It all starts on day one of every campaign. The problem is the money that the 99% don't have to "outbid" the scumbag lobbyists and their bosses for the allegiance of our "public servants". What a fucking laugh that term is. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a real "public servant" on a ballot. There's one in my parents' neighborhood during congressional elections. One of the few people I've seen endorsed by every kind of paper and party. Otherwise? Whores.

...into the light of a dark black night.