View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-05, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Hopefully these things are further along than we realize and, like yesterday's 13" MacBook Pro, they just pop up on Apple's site one morning, out of nowhere, here in the next month or two (before mid-summer).

Kinda makes you wonder if this virus and all surrounding it is delaying, or fast-tracking, Apple releases?
Neither, I'd say.

Comet Lake-S (which would be appropriate for a new iMac) was just announced last week. So if they do announce new iMacs in May, that makes sense to me.

For the Air in March and the 13-inch Pro this week, it's harder to say because Intel never announced those CPUs in advance (they appear to be custom parts that only Apple gets to buy*). But I think those, too, weren't gonna come much sooner; the CPUs weren't ready. Nor much later: Apple needed to put the Magic Keyboard in there!

*) I wonder if this is Apple's gun-to-the-head approach with Intel right now? They've just about had it with Intel's delays, and as a concession, Intel is a bit friendlier towards making parts just/mostly the way Apple wants them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
During these "difficult times" (I'm just quoting every TV commercial I see), we've managed to see a nicely updated MacBook Air, a new awesome iPhone and a snazzy new 13" Pro (well, two models anyway) all get released. If any upcoming iMac updates are half this impressive in the bang-for-the-buck department,
Probably not. Intel's 65W CPUs aren't moving to 10nm yet*, so we get another warming-over. The CPU will probably be offered with up to ten cores this time, but otherwise won't wow anyone. The GPU will probably go to the new Navi generation, so that's good.

If we're lucky, we'll get a more interesting iMac upgrade next year.

*) yes, yes, Apple could go with AMD. But they probably won't.