View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-07, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Apple’s leaning heavily on the big-name creators angle, with Steven Spielberg, Reese Witherspoon, JJ Abrams, Ron Howard, and, of course, Oprah. Apple’s pitching this as the home for all these creators’ passion projects. But big-name creators make flops all the time (especially when they’re making passion projects). I wonder if it would have been smarter to buy the rights to a bunch of shows and build an IP war chest, instead.
Yes.

Apple would have been better off buying some stuff. However, they would have had to be looking waaaay down the road. Star Wars? Star Trek? Dancing With the Couch Potatoes?

Oprah will sell to a subset of American viewers, almost exclusively women (I don't know any men who care). See and For All Mankind? Interesting concepts that, by themselves, won't carry the service—at least I don't think they will. Oprah and that Aniston/Witherspoon thing smell like they're driven too much by politics and may drive away viewers who don't want to be bothered by such things. But, you just never know. These things are rapidly becoming TV-show-app-things and there is a crap-ton of variety for relatively cheap. I mean, Netflix, Apple TV+, and Disney+ look like they can all be had for around $45/month, which is a lot cheaper than Cable and viewers don't have to wade through 300+ channels of fluff.

However, I think the big seller is going to be commercials/ads. The service that delivers the fewest of those is going to come out on top, or near the top. So far, Netflix has the lead in that space, and I'm betting Apple will be ad-free as well. What will Disney do?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)