View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-03-01, 07:21

Mac+: that skyline is insane! Is that smog or lens flare I'm seeing in the distance?

Imaginative photos, turtle2472! I find that you suddenly realise the limitations of your ability when you have to return with good shots, so good job. This is also what seperates the pros from the amateurs: the amateurs have a handful of great shots in their portfolio, while the pros have to make that happen week in and week out.

I think you were right to select Red 1 to post here as it's probably the best. Like billybobsky I'd like a little more depth of field, but torifile leans the other way so on balance your judgement was probably sound. Red 2 would need to be printed very large to draw the viewer's attention to your multiple reflections in the polished wheel nuts. Red 6 was well spotted but I can't help but wonder what it would look like with the "FIRE" letters in the frame (or would that be too trite and literal?).

Is it the crap LG monitor I'm using (caution: avoid at all costs!) or are the large versions much less saturated than the thumbnails?

I'd love to see what these would have looked like on Kodachrome 25. That stuff rendered reds like nothing before or since (Kodachrome 64, still available, is the best substitute, but still a poor second). It had a high gamma but that was compensated for by an exceptionally long density range in the red channel, so the result was very high colour contrast as well as reasonable dynamic range (more than six stops). Maximum saturation in the red channel was very high due to spectral sensitivity out to 700 nm and minimal bleeding from the magenta-forming layer. And developer adjaceny effects gave PKM an eye-bleeding acutance that has never been matched. The results were absolutely magic. Ah, I'm waxing nostalgic at twenty-five...

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.