View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-21, 21:50

My Mom was looking to get a refurb iPod touch at some point. I know they're much thicker and heavier, but I'm considering offering her my first-gen iPhone for $150 (she'd pay $179 for the iPod touch). It would give her the same functionality (albeit a bit thicker and heavier), plus a camera (and I'd give her my dock, Marware case, etc.). She'll buy a pink sleeve to put on it anyway, so the scuffs and all would be no issue...

But could she also convert it back to phone use (she's already with AT&T) at a later date, if she wanted?

Would her monthly data fees be the original $20 for that non-3G model, or would they be the newer $30?

How does that work exactly? She goes to them with an iPhone (even my older first-gen model) and says "I want this to be my phone now...make it happen?"

Or is she locked into the Sony phone she has now, via some contract stuff? How firmly is hardware tied to your contract and cellular service?

She saves $30, I get 3/4 of the way to a new iPhone (and the thing stays "in the family", so, years later, when Mom is done using it, I can get it back and hold on to it for "historical value").

I think I might've hit on a plan...maybe I'll bring it up to her next time I see her.